Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #166

Original Poster
How do you compare the K3 with K5 and K5II? They don't look very different in terms of image and ISO. Do they? Just asking...

---------- Post added 12-11-18 at 01:19 PM ----------

The M5 would be a compromise, just to know Olys and get used, having in mind to buy the OM1 MarkII, later on.
Nothing is 100% decided, I also found a K30 for 100 euros...body only, but I'd prefer to buy a decent 35mm prime.

100euros...Not expensive!

12-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
Now my only concern about Oly is to decide if I go for a M5II or an used OM1.
What i appreciated with the om1 is that it has a more classic feel to it with the grip. Just more solid-comfy in hand.
The strategy of buying an older body, spending a bit more on quality glass & wait untill OM1 II prices drop, might be a good one.
the glass keeps it value in case you change your mind.. & if you like the brand, you have something to look forward too..

It's the main reason why i advised the kr body if you would go the pentax route.
ofcourse, value for money, the k70 can't be beat.
12-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you compare the K3 with K5 and K5II? They don't look very different in terms of image and ISO. Do they? Just asking...
The K-3 has more resolution for larger prints or screens at 24mp instead of 16mp, and has no AA filter for greater detail in images. The other two 16mp models both have the AA filter. The K-5 series has been shown as being slightly better at higher ISO than the newer K-3, and having slightly better dynamic range also. The K-5 II features an improved AF system over the K-5, while the K-3 is better yet, but some reports have indicated a bit more fussy. If wanting to stay with the K-5 series, the K-5 IIs also omits the AA filter.

You have expressed a need to shoot clean images at at least ISO 3200. The K-5 IIs can do this while retaining excellent detail. Although noise is well-handled with this setting, it can look even better with good post-process treatment. For at least one stop improvement over this, and with your budget concerns, the K-70 fits into the top-notch position. It provides 24mp, superior ISO performance, and will certainly beat the Olys. The K-30 is ok, but not up to a K-5 IIs in any way.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
12-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 also has the KAF4 mount where as K-5's are KAF3. There are a couple lenses sold today by Ricoh that do not function properly on the K-5 due to this difference. This trend will continue and is probably worth knowing if comparing bodies including the K-5/II/IIs. I do not personally find it limiting as the lenses in question do not interest me much. These are the 55-300 PLM WR RE telezoom and the DFA*50 1.4. Both are nice but there are alternative lenses out there.

12-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been informed the new DFA* 50mm f/1.4 will AF fine with a K-5 series camera. It has a DC motor, not PLM.

As to the K-30, it would likewise work with the new 50mm lens, but I do not recommend buying used other than flagship models, except for the likewise premium-built unique KP. If the lesser camera is proven to be very lightly used, that might be ok.

Oops, I was thinking of the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens being compatible. perhaps the new 50mm is not. I don't think that is a concern here, however, since both are very expensive. The only one possibly of concern might be the DA 55-300mm PLM. But then the previous DA 55-30mm WR is still available and is a good alternative.

The K-70 has no issue at all regarding these lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-11-2018 at 02:30 PM.
12-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The motor is distinct from the DC motor in lenses like the DA 18-135 and the PLM motor in the 55-300 PLM, at least in nomenclature. You may be correct that it works on the K-5 series, in which case, cool. I hadn't heard that although this lens is so far from my grasp it might as well say "Milvus" on the side.
12-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #172

Original Poster
About OLY the strategy choosen is : old body, still modern, M5II with a decent zoom, then buy good primes, no worries. Then OM 1 MII if desired. If I really liked Olympus.
Litle old body, not so fantastic ISO? Ok, I'll adapt. I shoot most photos below 3200. Please, understant this, I am going to buy tonight, online, one OLY M5 with 14 42 zoom almost new, with charger, two batteries, etc for 240 euros ship fees included. I feel attracted, I want to do it. The funny thing is that the guy who is selling bought a FUJI. Each one has it's own reasons... but I have to say that it is a XT3 and this guy shoots a lot in sports.

I forgot to say (did I?), that mirrolless have two more things I really love : tilt screen, good especially when the camera is in low position and... Live view! To be able to see what you do before shooting is very nice, and with Olys I can do it while I manipulate the programmed features with my fingers, that are just where they should be . I tryed, I did it and I liked.

That said, it is not out of the equation to do the same with Pentax. Old Body with litle WR zoom or decent prime.
My choices for Pentax :
- KS1 - very kute!
- KS2 - Not a big difference, am I wrong?

- K5, K5II, K5IIs - All very good, but it's worth the IIs if I'm lucky to find a good deal. There a lot of 5s and 5II, but not 5IIs! Wonder why...
- K-70 !!

I could buy only one, more expensive, but I want to try both. It is also fun and I can allways sell. Both worlds have their strenghts.

grispie, I will end following your advise, but there are so many good deals out there that I will be able to buy something (even!) better than the KR.

---------- Post added 12-11-18 at 03:24 PM ----------

K70 has no live view for stills but has an interesting Manual Focusing Aids

---------- Post added 12-11-18 at 03:25 PM ----------

also Low-light Shooting and Autofocus

12-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with the Olympus. And although I dont like the high ISO, the Olympus Viewer (RAW developer) does a fantastic job in ISO noise reduction. However, sometimes I (try to) take pictures in low ambient light, i.e. in a room at night with only some lights on, and the ISO of the Olympus just falls apart at >=3200. The Pentax ISO does not. If there is enough light,OTOH, the Olympus shines. Plus, I find the color rendering quite similar to Pentax.

Last edited by yucafrita; 12-12-2018 at 01:53 AM.
12-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #174
Veteran Member

grispie, I will end following your advise, but there are so many good deals out there that I will be able to buy something (even!) better than the KR.
don't worry, i was not trying to push you in the direction of pentax kr but my reasoning was the same as yours, with getting an older olympus body to start.
thing is, if today iso is a weaker link with olympus, you know for sure that future bodies will improve in that area.
12-12-2018, 04:12 AM   #175

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
don't worry, i was not trying to push you in the direction of pentax kr but my reasoning was the same as yours, with getting an older olympus body to start.
thing is, if today iso is a weaker link with olympus, you know for sure that future bodies will improve in that area.

Yes, I understood your strategy, about the KR. I know you are not trying to push me in the direction of Pentax.
However, you can't help that you tend to do it, and it is logical, because you like it and you know it, and you know why you like it.
It is natural that, among the things you say, it is natural that you give the feedback about what you know and it is what I am asking here...

You all are not forcing me, and I really appreciate it, you are just letting me know things that you know and I don't. I can see the difference and I noticed that nobody here is pushing, just sharing. This is the only help you can give... unless you give me a K1...! Or e KR! I would be happy with "only" a KR...

Anyway, I thank you all for this,members of this forum, we are allready in page 12! My biggest threat so far.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-12-2018 at 04:18 AM.
12-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
About OLY the strategy choosen is : old body, still modern, M5II with a decent zoom, then buy good primes, no worries. Then OM 1 MII if desired. If I really liked Olympus.
Litle old body, not so fantastic ISO? Ok, I'll adapt. I shoot most photos below 3200. Please, understant this, I am going to buy tonight, online, one OLY M5 with 14 42 zoom almost new, with charger, two batteries, etc for 240 euros ship fees included. I feel attracted, I want to do it. The funny thing is that the guy who is selling bought a FUJI. Each one has it's own reasons... but I have to say that it is a XT3 and this guy shoots a lot in sports.

I forgot to say (did I?), that mirrolless have two more things I really love : tilt screen, good especially when the camera is in low position and... Live view! To be able to see what you do before shooting is very nice, and with Olys I can do it while I manipulate the programmed features with my fingers, that are just where they should be . I tryed, I did it and I liked.

That said, it is not out of the equation to do the same with Pentax. Old Body with litle WR zoom or decent prime.
My choices for Pentax :
- KS1 - very kute!
- KS2 - Not a big difference, am I wrong?

- K5, K5II, K5IIs - All very good, but it's worth the IIs if I'm lucky to find a good deal. There a lot of 5s and 5II, but not 5IIs! Wonder why...
- K-70 !!

I could buy only one, more expensive, but I want to try both. It is also fun and I can allways sell. Both worlds have their strenghts.

---------- Post added 12-11-18 at 03:24 PM ----------

K70 has no live view for stills but has an interesting Manual Focusing Aids

---------- Post added 12-11-18 at 03:25 PM ----------

also Low-light Shooting and Autofocus
I think you are going mirrorless, which is fine.

Just as far as it goes with Pentax models, KS-1 is a tiny camera without weather sealing. The big thing it has is small size. KS-2 had weather sealing and flip screen. The K70 includes the accelerator chip which allows for better high iso shooting and has pixel shift.

The K-5 cameras have an older 16 megapixel sensor, which still holds up well today. They are a little bigger, tougher camera. The II version brought better auto focus -- mainly in tungsten lighting and the K5 IIs had no AA filter. All of them have live view, but obviously they use an optical viewfinder, which seems to be a big sticking point for you. I'm not familiar with the Olympus models, but they look like nice cameras. Good luck.
12-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #177

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you are going mirrorless, which is fine.

Just as far as it goes with Pentax models, KS-1 is a tiny camera without weather sealing. The big thing it has is small size. KS-2 had weather sealing and flip screen. The K70 includes the accelerator chip which allows for better high iso shooting and has pixel shift.

The K-5 cameras have an older 16 megapixel sensor, which still holds up well today. They are a little bigger, tougher camera. The II version brought better auto focus -- mainly in tungsten lighting and the K5 IIs had no AA filter. All of them have live view, but obviously they use an optical viewfinder, which seems to be a big sticking point for you. I'm not familiar with the Olympus models, but they look like nice cameras. Good luck.
Thank you!

---------- Post added 12-12-18 at 04:38 AM ----------

Even so, I will go to take a look to a few Pentaxes and hopefully will shoot a litle bit. Saturday.
12-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #178
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,
I don't know where should I publish this thread. I found that it was here, but I am not 100% sure.
I have a Fuji XE1, I like it and would like to upgrade to a XE3 or XT1 or XT2,
but I am discovering Pentax. For me Pentax was only analogic... but I just read about the extraordinary K1 and K1 II, and I was very surprised. Excuse me for my ignorance!

Can anyone tell me what are the Pentax cameras that are at the same level of... say... the XE3? A good viewfinder is very important for me.
Thank you very much.

I wish that Pentax had the retro look of fuji... but I guess they have their own beauty. I am not used to, that's all.

May be if I'll have one, with time I begin to find it beautiful.
I went from an X-Pro1 to Pentax (first K-5 and now K-1 which I upgraded) 2 years ago and never looked back. While everyone is raving about X-trans and Fuji Colors, Pentax is simply way better in the IQ department. I don't know what Pentax is doing, but they are better in every aspect: better colors, better DR, better noise control.
Ergonomics is also top notch and also Pentax lenses are top notch.

If you want retro look, you could go with the K-P.
12-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #179

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
I went from an X-Pro1 to Pentax (first K-5 and now K-1 which I upgraded) 2 years ago and never looked back. While everyone is raving about X-trans and Fuji Colors, Pentax is simply way better in the IQ department. I don't know what Pentax is doing, but they are better in every aspect: better colors, better DR, better noise control.
Ergonomics is also top notch and also Pentax lenses are top notch.

If you want retro look, you could go with the K-P.
Retro look?? Excuse me, it is not retro look for me.
I'll take it in my hand next saturday and may be all my ideas will change about it.
I believe you when you say all those things about Pentax quality.
I think that I will make a try, but if I get one Pentax soon it will be the K70, for price and value.
Even if I am not seduced by it's looks or design, I may buy it for quality, if it is really good.
It is possible that after that I will find it beautiful, when a special relation takes place...

BTW, can someone suggest me a nice vintage lens for my Oly? Between 14 and 23mm. Not expensive, please!
For landscape, street, forest, rivers, boats...

Thank you!

---------- Post added 12-12-18 at 12:05 PM ----------

After all, I found this forum and joined it having in mind the Takumars...
and one of the reasons I bought an Oly is to be able to use vintage lenses.

---------- Post added 12-12-18 at 12:32 PM ----------

I saw the photos made with the
SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited

Really beautiful, not oversharp, just very clear, lots of light, 3D, amazing. Not cheap, but it's normal.
What can we have in this kind of performance in those focal ranges?

---------- Post added 12-12-18 at 12:49 PM ----------

Well, different focal but this could be a candidate
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-12-2018 at 12:33 PM.
12-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #180

Original Poster
I found this, very interesting.
Olympus 4/3 club
No need to use bigger adapters.