Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #196

Original Poster
Just a few pictures I made today. All made with XE1 and XF 27mm, manual.
Jpegs, no treatment, some are crops.
There was a small soft rain.
Velvia simulation, Noise reduction -1, colours +2.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
12-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #197

Original Poster
_DSF0039.jpg (78.2 KB)

_DSF0147 (1).jpg (71.1 KB)

_DSF0078.jpg (103.2 KB)

_DSF0089.jpg (214.0 KB)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
12-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #198
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Q-7 doesn't have a viewfinder - only a back LCD - and a limited number of lenses;
The Q is an experimenters dream - it is the perfect body for hundreds of c-mount lenses (manual focus, of course!)
12-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #199
Forum Member

an onerous thread

QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
Hello...I have a Fuji XE1...but I am discovering Pentax. For me Pentax was only analogic, but...
Kudos to Forum members who showed such infinite patience (and took the OP in such utmost seriousness) to expound ad infinitum and ad nauseum on some very basic concepts...
Unless the OP was playing us along - which frankly I would not rule out - there seemed to be minimal-to-no uptake of some of the basic principles that Forum members were patiently and redundantly explaining - such as the implications of RAW vs JPEG, the consequences of sensor size, why IQ actually can be important...
(I am purposely using the past tense b/c I hope this thread is done.)
No disrespect intended; to the contrary, as I said i admire fellow members on their patience !

---------- Post added 12-16-2018 at 08:12 PM ----------

PS
I neglected to mention, dear Original Poster, that I like some of the photographs you have shared with us very much.
You wrote several times that you consider yourself a beginner; the composition and exposure of some of these photos are really very good !
Veuillez accepter mes felicitations !

12-17-2018, 01:02 AM   #200

Original Poster
habsfanusa,
Hello, can you please tel me what is the meaning of OP? I am allways using the google dictionary and traduction, because English is my third language. Then I will be able to answer correctly.

Thank you for the compliment. I am trying to understand the trianguar relation between Aperture, Shutter and ISO. I shoot using intuition, trial and error, having a litle theoretical basis, of course. And when I shoot I take a lot of pleasure, allways.

---------- Post added 12-17-18 at 01:39 AM ----------

Sometimes I begin by choosing the ISO, first of all. Then, if shutter is to slow, I find the balace betweem the others, having in mind that I have no stabilisation. Then I look to the EVF if it looks ok...Is it pretty? If yes, I shoot!

---------- Post added 12-17-18 at 01:46 AM ----------

Sometimes I am forced to increase ISO, because shutter is to low and if I increase shutter it is to dark. Again, EVF matters to me. If I was not a beginner I'd shoot with OVF, may be.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-17-2018 at 01:52 AM.
12-17-2018, 03:57 AM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
habsfanusa,
Hello, can you please tel me what is the meaning of OP? I am allways using the google dictionary and traduction, because English is my third language. Then I will be able to answer correctly.

Thank you for the compliment. I am trying to understand the trianguar relation between Aperture, Shutter and ISO. I shoot using intuition, trial and error, having a litle theoretical basis, of course. And when I shoot I take a lot of pleasure, allways.

---------- Post added 12-17-18 at 01:39 AM ----------

Sometimes I begin by choosing the ISO, first of all. Then, if shutter is to slow, I find the balace betweem the others, having in mind that I have no stabilisation. Then I look to the EVF if it looks ok...Is it pretty? If yes, I shoot!

---------- Post added 12-17-18 at 01:46 AM ----------

Sometimes I am forced to increase ISO, because shutter is to low and if I increase shutter it is to dark. Again, EVF matters to me. If I was not a beginner I'd shoot with OVF, may be.
OP = Original Poster. The one who started the thread.
12-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #202

Original Poster
Hello!

I received my Oly M5 with the 14-42 zoom in immaculate condition.
I'm very very pleased.

I realised much better now, how important is good stabilization.
I'm also very happy with the very fast autofocus and the possibility of focusing and shooting in touchscreen.
All this makes the camera a lot more confortable and efficient than the Fuji XE1.

I even forget sometimes that I have a good viewfinder...

I did not go out with it yet, but I think images are very sharp.

Things are so different in the real world!
I have the impression that the 14/42 zoom is not so bad, when I look at the pictures in the screen,
wich is BTW, way better than the Fuji's. I guess this is due to the impressive and good stabilization.

Let's see how it behaves in the field and what images it produces.

Next will be the 20mm 1.7 panasonic, this one is very very sharp, I believe.

I will make a donation and post a few pictures as soon as I can.

Now I have to be used to these menus, more complicated than Fuji's, but not so confusing, just much more extensive.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-18-2018 at 03:05 AM.
12-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #203

Original Poster
It may be of no interest for most of people here, but I want to express my first impressions on the Oly/14-42.

When I first saw the images I was a bit disappointed, but then I got a bit more rational and I realized why.
First of all, I said to myself that this thing doesn't make pictures as well as the XE1.

There a few reasons :

- I am using a mode that is not my favourite
- There are a lot more settings for colors in this camera to try

- The zoom is showing it's limits and it can't compete with the Fuji 23mm, nor the excellent Fuji 16-50 zoom, but the Panasonic 20mm f/1.6 sure can.

- It's time to work with RAW files.

- It is also difficult to compete with Fuji colors in this level, at least with JPEGS out of the box, if you like that effect, but there's much to experiment here, and to learn.

- Pure black and white in Oly is very good and this is a good sign.

All in all I'm happy. Still did not try manual lenses yet.

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 09:12 AM ----------

I think that only in extreme situations this camera will have problems with light, if it has an open lens on it. Stab helps.

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 09:17 AM ----------

I can live with 16MP but 24 wouldn't hurt.
All that said, and if I'm not wrong, OMD1 MarkII must be the camera I want in the future.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.
12-19-2018, 03:30 AM   #204
Pentaxian

the 20mm 1.7 panasonic, this one is very very sharp, I believe.
Another highly regarded must have prime is the Oly 45mm f1.8.

Also,a cheap way to assemble some primes that work well is the Pentax 110 film era quartet(18/24/50/70mm,all a constant f2.8)These 4 also do well on the XE-1(I wouldnt sell it if I was you).

Sometimes these tiny primes can be bought as a set for U$ 100ish and include the camera body.

Last edited by surfar; 12-19-2018 at 03:35 AM.
12-19-2018, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #205

I had a Pentax K5 back in 2012, but was seduced by the lighter Fuji X-Pro1, thinking that the Pentax was too heavy, I then advanced to the Fuji X-T1 and the Fuji X-Pro2, whilst all the time still keeping my Pentax ME Super and LX.

I have sold all my Fuji gear except for the X-T1 and X100S and bought the Pentax KP taking into consideration the weight factor there are definite advantages in using a DSLR, I particularly like the rear display much better with aging eyesight easier to use menu.

I have no regrets in returning to Pentax, although I feel as if I never left!

Seasons greetings to all in the forum
12-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #206

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Another highly regarded must have prime is the Oly 45mm f1.8.

Also,a cheap way to assemble some primes that work well is the Pentax 110 film era quartet(18/24/50/70mm,all a constant f2.8)These 4 also do well on the XE-1(I wouldnt sell it if I was you).

Sometimes these tiny primes can be bought as a set for U$ 100ish and include the camera body.
The Oly 45-f1.8 is now so cheap new, (200 euros), that it is not worth to buy it used for 10 or 20 euros less.
It is also a very good one. I said before that all good Oly lenses have the same price as Fujis, but it is not true at all. Sometimes I say things like that...
Oly or PANA 75 is also a must, 1,8. Makes a very good bokeh with 4/3 olys.

If I sell the XE1 it's because I will buy the XT2. It is getting cheaper and cheaper. Could go to the XE1, but XT2 will be a litle less expensive, with WSealing and bif EVF, as it has been said.

I received my first Takumar, the oooooold 1:3.5/35. It is not the best of the range but it makes that glossy look and it is not the sharpest, but sharp.
For 10 euros... it's the best of the world!

I'll keep buying all those Takys before they are all sold out. These and others will be for the Pentax that I must buy one day in the future, with time, no stress.

---------- Post added 12-19-18 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by macabee Quote
I had a Pentax K5 back in 2012, but was seduced by the lighter Fuji X-Pro1, thinking that the Pentax was too heavy, I then advanced to the Fuji X-T1 and the Fuji X-Pro2, whilst all the time still keeping my Pentax ME Super and LX.

I have sold all my Fuji gear except for the X-T1 and X100S and bought the Pentax KP taking into consideration the weight factor there are definite advantages in using a DSLR, I particularly like the rear display much better with aging eyesight easier to use menu.

I have no regrets in returning to Pentax, although I feel as if I never left!

Seasons greetings to all in the forum
I believe you.
Who knows? It is not impossible that I buy a KP before the XT2. It was impssible to go to Paris last saturday but I feel like going the next one to take a long walk, have lunch and see the pentaxes. May be I'll fall in love. Can't wait to see how does it feels to have KP and 70 in my hand, see the menus, EVF and shoot.

Thank you and Seasons greetings to all the forum, too!
12-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #207
Pentaxian

I can live with 16MP but 24 wouldn't hurt.
All that said, and if I'm not wrong, OMD1 MarkII must be the camera I want in the future.
The Oly will only give you 20mp, but if an XT-2 comes along its got 24.

Just remember the XT-3 is out and that means the lessor featured xt-30,wont be too far away and could be around a xt-2 price???

Ive just picked up a Mk ii EM5(mint limited edition) so it'll be interesting comparing Hi-Res to Pixel shift?..A nice upgrade over the EM5(Santa loves a bargain!)

And a merry christmas to you.
12-20-2018, 04:21 AM   #208

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The Oly will only give you 20mp, but if an XT-2 comes along its got 24.

Just remember the XT-3 is out and that means the lessor featured xt-30,wont be too far away and could be around a xt-2 price???

Ive just picked up a Mk ii EM5(mint limited edition) so it'll be interesting comparing Hi-Res to Pixel shift?..A nice upgrade over the EM5(Santa loves a bargain!)

And a merry christmas to you.
Oly 5MarkII and XT2 or even XT3... Not a bad idea! I'll check XT3 prices and evolution.

Please post some Oly 5II pictures when you hace them.
Congratulations for the Oly! Santa is very kind...
12-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may find some disappointment with your Oly possibly because you're used to shooting with a Fuji APS-C outfit. I believe we went over and over again about these differences. But if you want a truly smaller camera and lenses setup, 4/3 will do it, with as we said before, some compromises. Going smaller has some disadvantages after a certain point. Just as the Fuji APS-C mirrorless system, at near the same size as certain Pentax models, offers the EVF (if you prefer it) instead of the OVF, but has other compromises compared to certain Pentax models, such as in control features and IBStabilization. If you are happy with your little Oly system ,just keep using it.
12-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #210
Pentaxian

Oly 5MarkII and XT2 or even XT3... Not a bad idea! I'll check XT3 prices and evolution.
A rumour has surfaced in the last 12 hours that says the XT-30 is coming in the first quarter of 2019.

So it should be 60% of the XT3 price with about 90% of the features.Probably not weather sealed,no facility for grip,weaker EVF but same processor and sensor as XT3.It will be interesting to find it out officially but Fuji Rumours has been very accurate in the past.