Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2019, 01:28 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
the X-T1 (same sensor as X-M1)
Well,they have the same processor.Sensors are a different generation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Fuji XT1 and Penta K3II share the same sensor.
16mp and 24mp,they share the same sensor manufacurer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
I had the Fuji XM1 and the XE1 and the XM1 has better behavior in low light.
That's strange : XE1 and others are good in low ight, but the XM1 has the best score.
XM1 has first generation Xtrans with 2nd generation processor.XE-1 and Xpro1 both had fist sensor and processor.

05-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #272
Forum Member

Fuji have less WR consumer lens than Pentax, but what catch my attention the most is Fuji 18-135 WR, that quite similar level to our beloved Pentax 18-135 WR

seem like Fuji one is better at sharpness (the corner edge?)
but when come into size, Pentax is lighter and smaller
05-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
what catch my attention the most is Fuji 18-135 WR, that quite similar level to our beloved Pentax 18-135 WR
Both are good,Fuji costs more.
05-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #274

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
Fuji have less WR consumer lens than Pentax, but what catch my attention the most is Fuji 18-135 WR, that quite similar level to our beloved Pentax 18-135 WR

seem like Fuji one is better at sharpness (the corner edge?)
but when come into size, Pentax is lighter and smaller
I think that Fuji 18-135 WR is not the best Fuji zoom.
16/50 and 15/55 are better.
For exemple, eve better than the very good Takumar 1.4/100mm MACRO, that is so sharp and neutral.

---------- Post added 05-15-19 at 12:48 AM ----------

Surfar, you are very informed about Fuji, better than me!
I have now the XE2. Did not buy the XT2 yet, because I saw a XE2 "as new", for 200 euros with a nice grip.
So I bought it. It is not my goal, but I'm happy, at least I have a camera that I like, wich is better than waiting for the ONE, the ideal.
I'll buy a XT2 or XE3, when a good deal appears.
Do you know from what generation are the sensor and processor of the XE2?
I don't know yet, but the XE2 seems to have the same behavior of the XM1 in low light.
XE2 has the 180 step in the mechanical shutter and a few more steps in ISO, just where I needed a lot of times with the XE1;
not very very important, but important sometimes.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 05-15-2019 at 12:51 AM.
05-15-2019, 02:37 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Do you know from what generation are the sensor and processor of the XE2?
Both sensor and processor are 2nd generation,the XM1 has the same processor but has the first generation sensor.

I have now the XE2.
Its a great camera,you will notice the speed of AF over the XE-1.
05-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #276

Photos: Albums
Don't forget to update the XE2 firmware to the latest version. It makes a HUGE improvement compared to the previous versions, including in autofocus.
05-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #277

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioS Quote
Don't forget to update the XE2 firmware to the latest version. It makes a HUGE improvement compared to the previous versions, including in autofocus.
Yes yes, it's done!

05-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #278
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t know if this will help you along or not, but several years ago I bought into the Fuji system with a purchase of the X-Pro1, and later the X-T1. I discovered that I have problems with the EVF and painful eye strain, but the viewfinder in the X-T3 with the high performance mode turned on is much better. I could comfortably use an X-T3. I’m not sure if the X-T2 has the same feature.
The faster refresh rate comes at a price. The camera in that mode is quite a bit more of a battery hog.
As far as APS-C goes, you can’t top the Fuji lenses. They really are superb. You will spend quite a bit more for the Fuji glass, something to keep in mind if you want to build a bit of a system.
If you like shooting vintage glass such as pre A series lenses, the Fuji is nicer to use than Pentax in many ways. No more green button kludge, and the viewfinder options make for much more accurate manual focus.
Having said all that, the K1 is my camera of choice at the moment, and has been for the three years I’ve owned it. I sold the X-Pro1, and haven’t shot much of anything with the X-T1 since getting the K1. One thing that makes the K1 worth having is the very beautiful D FA^ 50/1.4 lens. Every K1 owner should try to spend a quality weekend with that lens if they haven’t already purchased one.
05-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #279

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don’t know if this will help you along or not, but several years ago I bought into the Fuji system with a purchase of the X-Pro1, and later the X-T1. I discovered that I have problems with the EVF and painful eye strain, but the viewfinder in the X-T3 with the high performance mode turned on is much better. I could comfortably use an X-T3. I’m not sure if the X-T2 has the same feature.
The faster refresh rate comes at a price. The camera in that mode is quite a bit more of a battery hog.
As far as APS-C goes, you can’t top the Fuji lenses. They really are superb. You will spend quite a bit more for the Fuji glass, something to keep in mind if you want to build a bit of a system.
If you like shooting vintage glass such as pre A series lenses, the Fuji is nicer to use than Pentax in many ways. No more green button kludge, and the viewfinder options make for much more accurate manual focus.
Having said all that, the K1 is my camera of choice at the moment, and has been for the three years I’ve owned it. I sold the X-Pro1, and haven’t shot much of anything with the X-T1 since getting the K1. One thing that makes the K1 worth having is the very beautiful D FA^ 50/1.4 lens. Every K1 owner should try to spend a quality weekend with that lens if they haven’t already purchased one.

I think the XT2 has the same feature.
I believe it will be difficult to desire something in photo hobby that puts your Pentax system on a shelf.
When it comes to no compromise, I prefer audio circuit design and boards.
My bigest passion is research about buiding classA amplifiers, high-end DA converters and so on. And high-end analogic Schumann resonators!
(Resonances are also music...)

Those are my PentaxK1 and D FA 50/1.4 lenses, my Ferraris. First, I'm an audio guy, second, there is photo, far away from audio nevertheless.
05-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #280
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Fuji's way less than Pentax, especially when you throw in the FF stuff from today back to 1975. And all the Pentax stuff is image stabilized.

Sony APS-C has negligible third party support.
To be fair, those old Pentax lenses work better on a Fuji than they do on Pentax. With adapters, Fuji can mount pretty much any lens that has an aperture ring.
The Fuji X-H1 (?) has IBIS as well.
05-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #281
Pentaxian

Takumars suit the early Fujis,if only the peaking was better on the first generation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
any lens that has an aperture ring.
The Fuji X-H1 (?) has IBIS as well.
Theres a few adapters with AF that can use non aperture lenses as well.
XH-1 is discontinued and yes it has IBIS.
05-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #282

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Takumars suit the early Fujis,if only the peaking was better on the first generation.

Theres a few adapters with AF that can use non aperture lenses as well.
XH-1 is discontinued and yes it has IBIS.
IBIS on XH-1 only matters when shutter is two steps down AND this only works when you are not moving.
We're not talking about Olympus ibis. Other than that, XH1 has very good ergonomics and it is silent.
XT3 costs less and is way better in AF, in all situations, has better video, etc.

Everything is better except ergonomics.

XHI is a very good camera, but a new dinosaur compared to the new (later) models.
05-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #283

A bit off-topic but after some weeks thinking, I decided to keep my Pentax gear and sell the Fuji, but not everything..

I have a X-T1 (had X-10, X-E1 and X-E2) with 7 lenses, two zooms and 5 primes. But I also have two Fuji compacts, X20 and X30, and a very nice Panasonic micro four thirds set, and the Fuji is larger and heavier than it. The image quality from both systems are not that different to justify having them at the same time.

The Panasonic bodies I have are the GX85 and GX7. Both have IBIS, great ergonomics and are very good performers.

It's not a final decision but I'm really considering this.
05-19-2019, 01:13 AM   #284

Original Poster
Hi Antonio,
Between the X20 and the X30, what is your favorite?
I would like to buy one X20 because I find it very beautiful and convenient. There are limitations, but you just have to be aware of that.
I stil have my Oly EMD5 and lenses. The colors are more vivid than Fuji, oh yes, and contrast too.
I have less aberrations with FUJI when I use manual lenses like with my Takumar 100mm/1:4, for exampe.
Also, AF with Oly are much much better, with automatic motorised enses, of course. Very fast.

Do you agree?
05-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #285

Francisco,

I like both X20 and X30. They have exactly the same output. Both can be extremely sharp if you do the things with care, for example shoot in raw and do the post processing with a decent raw converter (LR no please). Of course they aren't a K1 you know.

The optical viewfinder of the X20 is nice but unusable for close ups and macro, but better for low light. Battery life is low, about 250 pics maximum.

The X30's EVF is quite good and the battery lasts much more, about 450 photos.

Some days ago I posted a very short post about this on my blog. I'll update it in the next week with more examples. Note that the images quality can be compromised when uploading them to Google Photos.

Old Good Light: Remember Fuji X20 and X30 ? How Good are Them Really ?

Nowadays colors and contrast are more due to software than optics, believe me. Specially if your edition software is able to work with LUT tables.