Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #31

Original Poster
_DSF0171.jpg_DSF0172.jpg_DSF0184.jpg_DSF0196.jpg

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Everybody that has replied to you have given you a lot of information to think about. Now I have one more suggestion that might help in making a decision.

I do not know where you live other than in Europe some place. My suggestion is to see if you have any camera stores close around you that rents cameras and lenses. Contact them and ask if they rent Pentax. If they do, rent a KP and a mid range zoom and give it a try. Being able to hold a camera in a store is one thing but, being able to use it for a week can be a game changer in deciding to buy a different brand of camera then what you already own.
Yes, I think it is a very good idea.
I live near Paris, one hour train, I am sure that I will find one KP to rent there, thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
11-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wouldn't be quite so swift to write off Pentax, even for APS-C.

The OP asked about "level", not "exactly like" - and he asked about viewfinders.
Pentax has always been known for their wonderful viewfinders, and that is still true today.

The KP is a wonderful camera - not so swift for events, but great for landscape and high ISO work.
I'm surprised at how much they can get into my viewfinder and still give me a good view of the subject.

And when mine came yesterday I left it on the dining room table.
When my wife came home, she asked "where is your new camera?", and I said "you are looking at it".
She had thought my new camera was the camera I purchased in 1983 - not "rangefinder retro", but you are right, it is "Pentax retro".
Lack of lens development in aps-c department is something new users could be aware of. While the industry is moving towards f1.4 lenses Pentax is stuck with a 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Dated AF design of most of apsc primes could also bother some ppl...
11-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Lack of lens development in aps-c department is something new users could be aware of. While the industry is moving towards f1.4 lenses Pentax is stuck with a 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Dated AF design of most of apsc primes could also bother some ppl...

I have to rent a PK that's it, now I am to curious, it will be a lot of fun
11-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No one caters for APS-C lenses more than Pentax!

11-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hmmm... have you seen Fujis X lens lineup. Or Sony with all 3rd party support.
I would love if there was at least Pentax 18mm f1.8, 23mm f1.8 and 35mm f1.8 with decoupled af ring in af mode bit sadly there are none of those
11-29-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the industry is moving towards f1.4 lenses Pentax is stuck with a 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f1.4.
For completeness, I think you should have also mentioned several other lenses in the Pentax line.
11-29-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm... have you seen Fujis X lens lineup. Or Sony with all 3rd party support.
I
The Fuji's way less than Pentax, especially when you throw in the FF stuff from today back to 1975. And all the Pentax stuff is image stabilized.

Sony APS-C has negligible third party support.

11-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The Fuji's way less than Pentax, especially when you throw in the FF stuff from today back to 1975. And all the Pentax stuff is image stabilized.

Sony APS-C has negligible third party support.
Im talking about new lenses not some old stuff.
Af primes of f1.8 or faster that cover from 24mm to light telephoto equivalent of ff. Last fast da prime pentax made was 50mm f1.8 somewhere in 2011?
11-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

While there are lots of APS-C lenses available in K-mount and there are even more APS-C lenses available for other mounts.

Looking at Adorama, I see they offer 143 lenses in Fuji X-mount. They offer a total of 140 lenses in K-mount but that includes FF and APS-C together. We can keep that 140 number since FF lenses will work just fine on APS-C. While those numbers sound good they begin to pale when compared to the 152 Sony E (APS-C) and 229 Sony FE (FF) lenses which when combined offer 381 lenses. But even that pales to the 529 offered for Nikon and the 613 offered for Canon.

Ok, ok ... I know that number game is pretty silly and it's a bit of a stunt but it does show the extent of support.
11-29-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Sometimes there isn't a good Pentax option. What have they sold that is like the Sigma 28mm F1.8 DG EX? The FA 31 is kind of close but field of view isn't wide enough for my tastes (I wish the Sigma was more like 25mm if I'm honest) and I like having autofocus on my digital camera. Or the situation with the DA* 16-50 being so much more money for not so much performance gain (if any) over the Tamron or Sigma 17-50's. Then there's just completely out there lenses like the Sigma 18-35 f1.8; nothing close to that from Pentax.

This can be said of every system and brand, though. When I go looking at Canon or Nikon systems I keep wondering where their DA 15 Ltd equivalent is. Or FA 77. Or how Pentax seemingly did so much better with the DA 40 XS and Ltd's vs. the 40 STM.
Yep, I'm afraid I have a lot of lenses from those two companies but few do. People loudly claim they'd buy them, but never did.
11-29-2018, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Im talking about new lenses not some old stuff.
Photographers don't think that way, Trickortreat, teenagers do.
11-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photographers don't think that way, Trickortreat, teenagers do.
Nah.... Modern APS-C lenses often (but not always) have better rendering than old film lenses. And now that Katzeye went out of business its really hard to find good quality focusing screen. Without one focusing a fast manual lens is a pita.
Besides are there really that many good used 35mm f1.8 lenses for pentax? I didnt find any. And there are no 18mm or 16mm f1.8 or faster primes
11-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.... what are you even talking about?
11-29-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
Has the K1 simulations like Fuji Velvia for artisic abstract photos?
But the K1 is to expensive for me.
BTW, I allways buy used, so I can get the ultimate of two or three years ago.
I use DXO for RAW image processing and there are multiple film effects available to change the nature of your image. I have only the KP but love it a great deal due to everything @mikesbike said about it.
11-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I use DXO for RAW image processing and there are multiple film effects available to change the nature of your image. I have only the KP but love it a great deal due to everything @mikesbike said about it.
Rawtherapee is prolly the best option for pentax k1 as it renders pixelshift files quite good from what ive seen and it has a plethora of film simulation options. including fuji ones