Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Everybody that has replied to you have given you a lot of information to think about. Now I have one more suggestion that might help in making a decision.

I do not know where you live other than in Europe some place. My suggestion is to see if you have any camera stores close around you that rents cameras and lenses. Contact them and ask if they rent Pentax. If they do, rent a KP and a mid range zoom and give it a try. Being able to hold a camera in a store is one thing but, being able to use it for a week can be a game changer in deciding to buy a different brand of camera then what you already own.
Great idea, and if not possible, keep posting and look for members near you to meet and try out each other's gear. I got to use the DA*60-250 last week and fell in love. it is niice to meet others with similar interests also.
High ISO the KP is very usable even above ISO 12,800, and then if there is a bit of graininess,( there will be a lot less than you would expect.) You can skip the processing!

11-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #47

Original Poster
All that is great; I also like the idea of meeting people with these cameras. There are a lot of Pentax cameras in France.
The PK is very interesting and very nice looking too. I am more interested in this one,it is within my reach.

How would you compare the P70 with the PK?
11-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
With great difficulty!

However,if you want to compare the KP and the K-70...theres a place on the forum for that,just search around.
11-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #49

Original Poster
sorry, it is repeated

Ok, I can do it.

11-29-2018, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Looking at Adorama, I see they offer 143 lenses in Fuji X-mount. They offer a total of 140 lenses in K-mount but that includes FF and APS-C together. We can keep that 140 number since FF lenses will work just fine on APS-C. While those numbers sound good they begin to pale when compared to the 152 Sony E (APS-C) and 229 Sony FE (FF) lenses which when combined offer 381 lenses. But even that pales to the 529 offered for Nikon and the 613 offered for Canon.

Ok, ok ... I know that number game is pretty silly and it's a bit of a stunt but it does show the extent of support.
I think the number game's pretty silly, I agree, Boris.

That 143 lenses is actually 'products for sale' from B&H, including bundles.

When you choose just Fuji, the number drops to 43, and it includes both the black and silver versions of a lens, for the 14mm f2.8 versions with and without a gift card, for the 50-140 zoom versions with the added 1.4 as well as 2x teleconverters, etc. You get the idea.

I will say that Fuji is the one company other than Pentax to take APS-C seriously. Sigma don't - have a look at their DC offerings, Nikon don't, look at their DX lens lineup, same for Canon and now Sony.

That's why back in Post Three I recommended to Francisco that he's already spent the money, Fuji's offerings in cropped format are already fine, to not buy Pentax. He will need to cope that if he doesn't use a tripod all the time, Fuji primes like the otherwise excellent 56mm f1.2 are not image stabilized. I shoot handheld a lot, so Fujis are out for me. The Fujis don't use a Bayer array like other brands, either, so RAW development (where supported - this is why DxOMark don't even bother testing them) might get decent skin tones at the expense of slushy green vegetation.

Fuji entered the digital camera market with a new mount, whereas Pentax used K-mount, so all those fantastic film lenses were already there. A tremendous three prime set for a K-3 owner can be the DA15, FA31 and FA77 Limiteds! No adapter needed, exposure and autofocus work as they always did on film, just better, and the glass is magnificent.

Another advantage is that Pentax owners can upgrade to a K-1 like I did, it's a dead end with Fuji. No FF offering, you'll have to spend big and go for their poor-focusing mirrorless version of the 645Z instead.

Last edited by clackers; 11-29-2018 at 05:24 PM.
11-29-2018, 05:21 PM - 4 Likes   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Besides are there really that many good used 35mm f1.8 lenses for pentax? I didnt find any.

My advice for you is to simply get the FA35 f2, if the FA31 Ltd is out of your budget.

Don't you dare say that one third of a stop somehow rules it out for your usage, the people who already own and shoot with that fantastic little lens would be amused.

And there are no 18mm or 16mm f1.8 or faster primes
Okay, Trickortreat, can we see your portfolio? Instagram feed? Flickr? Whatever. Then I will say why that's relevant.
11-29-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

All that is great; I also like the idea of meeting people with these cameras. There are a lot of Pentax cameras in France.
The PK is very interesting and very nice looking too. I am more interested in this one,it is within my reach.

Here is a chart comparing the KP to the K-70
Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and comparing the two is much of this thread after post #66
Why wasn't there more fuss made about the KP's newer sensor? - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

11-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No FF offering, you'll have to spend big and go for their poor-focusing mirrorless version of the 645Z instead.
First model M/L can be found wanting,but the Kaizen firmware updates regularly....The Fuji FF is the crop mode at 30mp on both the GFX models(R starting shipping today,go watch your fav YouTubers review..Ha Ha.)

In 6 months the GFX 100 appears...U$10k and worth it for people who need it! RI need to pull a wabbit outa their ** to compete.

Its all good to sing the praises of past lenses from Pentax(I own plenty),however,also can we mention the fact that the mirrorless cameras will adapt most of the known glass out there.All of them manually and quite a few automatically.

Ok, I can do it.
Francisco,I own the XE-1 and the XE-3...its worth the update.I also own the K-1.Imo the XE-3 is the way to go for what you shoot.
Your 16-50 is stabilised,I'll recommend the 50-230 with stabilisation,both lenses need reasonable light.
The 27mm f2.8 makes the smallest Fuji body with Evf and pancake,a great street shooter...extremely pocketable.(Ive just got a spare 27mm for U$40 delivered after cash back).All the native lenses are quite good.

If you want AF adapters consider the Fringer EF to X adapter as opposed to the cost of the natives.(Sigma/Tamron/Tokina/Samyang and Canon all produce some great glass)

Keep the XE-1 as your vintage lens body,consider using a Focal Reducer/Speed Booster adapter as well as the cheap dumb adapters.That way you have 2 FOVs/apetures from one lens but only one outlay(apart from the 2 adapters).Pentax cant provide this on the dslrs.A FR makes the crop 1.1 and provides a stop more light.

Film simulation bracketing is a great way to shoot(3 jpegs with one exposure)...forget RAW, as have half the Fuji users(according to the survey on the main Fuji forum).SOOC is all Ive ever used with My Fujis(also use an Xpro1).

On the other hand many have suggested recent Pentax bodies but for a cheap outlay there are older kits,Ive just paid U$ 100ish for the 200D with kit lens,bag and memory card.There are bargains out there.Its a good way to learn Pentax and you wont lose much and could even gain if its not to your liking.

Whatever you decide,its the right decision...enjoy both?
11-29-2018, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
First model M/L can be found wanting,but the Kaizen firmware updates regularly....The Fuji FF is the crop mode at 30mp on both the GFX models
At Ted's, $10,000 for a 30Mp camera that only supports CDAF when you can have a K-1 at 36Mp, about the same physical size (it's not the Hassy), image stabilized, PDAF - for a quarter of the price? And a limited range of more expensive lenses? That's nuts - and not fixable by a firmware upgrade. You've really regressed into Fuji salesman mode, Surfar!

(R starting shipping today,go watch your fav YouTubers review..Ha Ha.)
Ah, you would be referring to your hero, Ken Wheeler, aka The Angry Photographer? Um, then no thanks. Since fifty percent of our brain cells die on each viewing, if I see just one more video of his I'll lose the ability to count to ten.

Its all good to sing the praises of past lenses from Pentax(I own plenty),however,also can we mention the fact that the mirrorless cameras will adapt most of the known glass out there. All of them manually and quite a few automatically.
You shouldn't do certain wide angles because the registration distance is short and the edge/corner performance can be affected, including colour cast. As for autofocus, something like the adaptor you've mentioned in the past is actually like the 1.7 Pentax TC. It's a hybrid, you manually focus to get close, then hope the adapter does its thing from there. This is not the same as putting an FA43 Limited on a KP. It … just … works.

Keep the XE-1 as your vintage lens body,consider using a Focal Reducer/Speed Booster adapter as well as the cheap dumb adapters.
I wouldn't recommend someone else put glass in front of or behind a good lens, Surfar. It's like those little clip on wide ange/tele or macro things for a phone - please don't do it, people!

Looking at his pictures, I don't think Francisco needs to pay to swap brands or even upgrade in formats, he can remain a happy Fujifilm owner at this stage, IMHO.

Last edited by clackers; 11-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.
11-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji colours !
11-30-2018, 12:40 AM   #56
Veteran Member

My advice for you is to simply get the FA35 f2, if the FA31 Ltd is out of your budget.Don't you dare say that one third of a stop somehow rules it out for your usage, the people who already own and shoot with that fantastic little lens would be amused.
I know that FA 31 got quite a following but id say, yep, its a bit overpriced for what its worth, it has dated AF design, and it weights more than im willing to carry around. Had the FA35. Its a meh lens, dont like its rendering, CA is bothersome. my DA35 is a better lens in all regards to the FA35, but I was thinking more of modern light optics would benefit DA shooters quite a bit. Something like these lenses:
E 35 mm F1.8 OSS | SEL35F18 | Sony US
FUJINON LENS XF35mmF2 R WR | Specifications | Fujifilm Global
Small, light and fast.
Okay, Trickortreat, can we see your portfolio? Instagram feed? Flickr? Whatever. Then I will say why that's relevant.
You'd say it isnt relevant cause only 2 lenses i have are DA35 and DA50 (see, only small light lenses). But i'd buy those wider lenses if they were available. I had the Samyang 12 f2.8 but it was just too much bulk to carry around so i sold it. Would like if something more in the line of these was available to Pentax shooters so i could get back to astrophotography (the faster & wider the better):
XF16mmF1.4 R WR | Lenses | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global
XF18mmF2 R | Lenses | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global
small light and fast

Last edited by Trickortreat; 11-30-2018 at 12:57 AM.
11-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Yes, It's better.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 02:33 AM ----------

Also, weather sealing is a good feature to.

But the K1 is to expensive for me.
BTW, I allways buy used, so I can get the ultimate of two or three years ago.

This camera is very big...I would have to adapt to it, life is made of compromises...[COLOR="Silver"]
You can get a K-1 with a few thousand or less shutter clicks (out of a rated 300,000 shutter life) for at or under $1000 USD. That's a lot of camera for the money.

The K-1 actually isn't that big compared to the KP or K-5 or K-3II but it is quite a bit heavier. I was actually surprised that Pentax was able to make the K-1 relatively compact.

If body size is your main concern, Fuji is definitely the better option. I was all set to switch to Fujifilm in 2016 and buy an X-T1 and kit of lenses. I realized however that the smaller camera really only mattered for backup bodies. My main camera would have a lens mounted to it, and Pentax offered more options in terms of compact high quality lenses than Fuji. Pentax also offered more in terms of telephoto options. There was also fast enough glass available that was all stabilized through the IBIS. Fuji built a nice system very quickly but when you look at the Pentax APS-C system, it's much deeper, more complete and it has an upgrade path to full frame should you want to go that route.

If you got a KP or K-3II ( or K-70 or K-5II) I think you'd have more options than with Fuji. There is definitely a larger availability of legacy auto focus glass and also the option to use manual focus electronically coupled and non electronic lenses.

11-30-2018, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #58

Original Poster
Hi all, there's a lot here to comment. I will do it in the end of the day, (France time). Thanks. I have to work, I work in the house, but yesterday I took a lot of time on the web. Cheers!
11-30-2018, 02:24 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You'd say it isnt relevant cause only 2 lenses i have are DA35 and DA50
Your guess as to why I wanted to see your portfolio is wrong.

Never mind.

This is Francisco's thread anyway, and he's been very graceful about it all - I wish him the best whatever he does.
11-30-2018, 03:25 AM   #60

Original Poster
Fuji Colors

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Fuji colours !

Love it or hate it, I love it!
It changes reality, I mean the perception of the reality is different from our perception, but the reality is the same...
There are situations where it can be exaggerated, but when it comes, you have Provia, that sees like us, and it can also be very beautiful.

velvia is good to mysterious environments, like these places with charm, in sunset hours... or at dawn
and artistic macro, etc

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 03:26 AM ----------

Your guess as to why I wanted to see your portfolio is wrong.

Never mind.

This is Francisco's thread anyway, and he's been very graceful about it all - I wish him the best whatever he does.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 03:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Here is a chart comparing the KP to the K-70
Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and comparing the two is much of this thread after post #66
Why wasn't there more fuss made about the KP's newer sensor? - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
I took a look at those links you sent me and think that the K70 is very interesting.
Why should we allways have the top cams?

For me the K70 seems a very good start, if I want to enter in the Pentax system by the modern door
well, it has not the charm of the PK, but the price is very charming...
remember, I am a beginner.
Also, you can win a photo contest with a modest camera...
The pk and P1, if I enter in the Pentax world, would be for the next future, of course.
I can be a good photographer with the K70, or even with a much less than that, and then, with time, I may take the jump to KPs and K1s -

if it is for specific real needs. Point!!
Before to put the biggest value in the camera, I put the most as possible value in myself. My talent and learning.
See those turists with big expensive Nikons and zooms? They don't even know how to handle the camera, please...
Do you get what I mean?

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 03:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
You can get a K-1 with a few thousand or less shutter clicks (out of a rated 300,000 shutter life) for at or under $1000 USD. That's a lot of camera for the money.

The K-1 actually isn't that big compared to the KP or K-5 or K-3II but it is quite a bit heavier. I was actually surprised that Pentax was able to make the K-1 relatively compact.

If body size is your main concern, Fuji is definitely the better option. I was all set to switch to Fujifilm in 2016 and buy an X-T1 and kit of lenses. I realized however that the smaller camera really only mattered for backup bodies. My main camera would have a lens mounted to it, and Pentax offered more options in terms of compact high quality lenses than Fuji. Pentax also offered more in terms of telephoto options. There was also fast enough glass available that was all stabilized through the IBIS. Fuji built a nice system very quickly but when you look at the Pentax APS-C system, it's much deeper, more complete and it has an upgrade path to full frame should you want to go that route.

If you got a KP or K-3II ( or K-70 or K-5II) I think you'd have more options than with Fuji. There is definitely a larger availability of legacy auto focus glass and also the option to use manual focus electronically coupled and non electronic lenses.
I understand, but you can see that I began to make up my mind about that. I'd like to have a PK! Of course! But I don't need it so much, finally. At least in this moment.
I would put 1000 dol in lens, software, travel, a nice dinner with my chérie, etc, for the reasons I mentioned just before.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 11-30-2018 at 03:45 AM.