Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 03:57 AM   #106

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think what you need to do is figure out what lenses you are going to want/need for a given system. They don't have to be lenses you buy at day 1, but things you will be able to save up for and get over time. I think things will be a bit clearer after you do that. Camera bodies come and go, but glass lasts a long time.

Fuji has some really nice glass, unfortunately, it is pretty pricey. The used prices of lenses like the DA limiteds are much more reasonable to me.

Don't worry too much about your choice either. It isn't life or death and the journey is often as much fun as the goal. As long as you have a camera, you can make images and enjoy the process of improving yourself and your skills -- and thinking about whatever your next lens will be down the road.

Really nice photos.
Sharpness and colors are fantastic.
Greens are natural. (Fuji weekness)

12-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #107

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think what you need to do is figure out what lenses you are going to want/need for a given system. They don't have to be lenses you buy at day 1, but things you will be able to save up for and get over time. I think things will be a bit clearer after you do that. Camera bodies come and go, but glass lasts a long time.

Fuji has some really nice glass, unfortunately, it is pretty pricey. The used prices of lenses like the DA limiteds are much more reasonable to me.

Don't worry too much about your choice either. It isn't life or death and the journey is often as much fun as the goal. As long as you have a camera, you can make images and enjoy the process of improving yourself and your skills -- and thinking about whatever your next lens will be down the road.

Your Pentax K5... is it the MI or MII?
Have you done all those photos with the K5 and K3?
Are they revised? Raw?

They are really good.
How do you compare them to the KP?
I think the KP is newer.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 12-05-2018 at 07:20 AM.
12-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
Are they revised? Raw?

They are really good.
I think the KP is newer.
sorry to jump in here.
I really have the feeling you are putting to much attention to camera bodies.
imo you should list the feature set of different brands, the lenses they offer & the pricetag that comes with it.
12-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #109

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
sorry to jump in here.
I really have the feeling you are putting to much attention to camera bodies.
imo you should list the feature set of different brands, the lenses they offer & the pricetag that comes with it.

I think you're right. I take the advice.

12-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an Oly M10, the first version. It’s a wonderful camera! I don’t mind shots at ISO 6400 if I am not printing big. Social media sharing is also fine if you lower resolution. Over the years I have built up a kit of zooms and primes that are very, very, very sharp and also very portable! I took this kit with me to Kazakhstan this summer for 3 weeks. Other than fast tracking action shots the Oly M10 served me well. I never found a situation where the camera did not perform the task I needed it too.

On-sensor focusing is slow because it is only contrast based. But, it is very accurate. No front/back focus issues. Seeing the live preview and histogram in the EVF is a huge benefit. I shoot in RAW format and I can say the files are beautiful. They process real easy in Capture One. Colors, contrasts sharpness, etc. All good! You will like it.

I feel like the lenses for u4/3 are usually more affordable than in other mounts. That doesn’t mean anything is cheap. What I mean to say is that everything felt within reach for dedicated amateurs and enthusiasts like me. There is also a huge variety of lenses available.

My M10 is only 16 MP and I never feel a need for more. More is nice but not necessary. I have printed wonderful images at 12”x18” with no loss of enjoyment.

You will not regret getting into the u4/3 ecosystem with your Oly M5.
12-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Still, it's all about the lenses..
No, it is partly about the sensor. The Olympus and Panasonic cameras have so-called MFT sensors - even more 'cropped' than APS-C - which inevitably means weakness in higher ISO values. People can quibble about DxOMark methods, but the comparison below reflects that truth.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II vs Pentax K-3
12-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #112

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have an Oly M10, the first version. It’s a wonderful camera! I don’t mind shots at ISO 6400 if I am not printing big. Social media sharing is also fine if you lower resolution. Over the years I have built up a kit of zooms and primes that are very, very, very sharp and also very portable! I took this kit with me to Kazakhstan this summer for 3 weeks. Other than fast tracking action shots the Oly M10 served me well. I never found a situation where the camera did not perform the task I needed it too.

On-sensor focusing is slow because it is only contrast based. But, it is very accurate. No front/back focus issues. Seeing the live preview and histogram in the EVF is a huge benefit. I shoot in RAW format and I can say the files are beautiful. They process real easy in Capture One. Colors, contrasts sharpness, etc. All good! You will like it.

I feel like the lenses for u4/3 are usually more affordable than in other mounts. That doesn’t mean anything is cheap. What I mean to say is that everything felt within reach for dedicated amateurs and enthusiasts like me. There is also a huge variety of lenses available.

My M10 is only 16 MP and I never feel a need for more. More is nice but not necessary. I have printed wonderful images at 12”x18” with no loss of enjoyment.

You will not regret getting into the u4/3 ecosystem with your Oly M5.

Hi Boris,
I thank you for the comment.
I have not decided yet what am I going to do, but I have now lots of advised points of view.
That sait, in my heart I'd like to go for the Oly 5II, or another Fuji, and your comment is reassuring.
It doesn't mean that other comments that do not encouraged me to go for the Oly are not good, not at all.
They have their own coherency.
I can afford to buy one, without waiting to much time. I'll have fun. I understand that I should buy it with the 12/40, not the 12/42!
I also noticed that there are good glasses for the Oly not sooooo expensive and they are small.
My God, how expensive are Fuji's...!

I can allways keep my XM1 with the pancake and the 16/50 zoom. It is "very old", (in terms of marketing", but still not inferior than most.
Jpegs out of it are really beautiful. (XE1 with zoom for sale, anyway). That was already decided.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 09:44 AM ----------

So, I'll see later if I want to make other moves, but it's time to slow down and make a decision, soon.
Of course, other comments will be allways a pleasure for me.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 10:30 AM ----------

Where can I publish an album?
I want to share some random photos, beginner photos.

12-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #113

Original Poster
DSCF0142.jpg (305.6 KB)

DSCF9687 (1).jpg (184.5 KB)

DSCF9556.jpg (179.9 KB)

DSCF9409.jpg (358.2 KB)

DSCF0414.jpg (139.9 KB)

DSCF0734.jpg (146.0 KB)

_DSF0121.jpg (310.2 KB)

DSCF0802.jpg (87.2 KB)

DSCF0842.jpg (156.0 KB)

DSCF8173.jpg (177.2 KB)

DSCF0315.jpg (154.4 KB)

DSCF0344.jpg (86.3 KB)

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 10:50 AM ----------

Taken with XE1, XM1, OIS 16/50, 23MM & 1:2.8

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 11:00 AM ----------

The dates are wrong in most of the pictures, they were made much before

Time was not well setted in the XE1 camera
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XF1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-M1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-M1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-M1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-M1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-M1  Photo 
12-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey Francisco, I know you are doing your research and everybody on here is giving you some good advice, myself included.

I am going to add a little bit more. Suggestions have been made for the Pentax KP, K5, K5II and k5IIs. If you would like to try out a Pentax just to see how it feels in the hand and not spend a whole lot of money, you might take a look at the K7. It is a very capable camera and for the photos you just posted, it would work well.

One of our members has one for sale right now in the market place;

Pentax K-7 with Battery but no Charger. Works well. - PentaxForums.com

Get a battery charger and put a DA50 on it and see what it will do.
12-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't agree regarding the K-7. It is not a bad camera, but I passed on it and took a great 1/2 price deal on a left-over new K20D instead. Tests and comments indicated the then new K-7 performance in every way was no better, in fact slightly worse for noise at higher ISO. It was the first of the new compact designs. The next afterwards, the K-5, was a whole other ballgame. Major improvement. Of those, the K-5 IIs yields the sharpest results, and with an upgraded AF system. Prices should be modest for any of these models, even if in fine shape. If wanting to go for a cheapie, and smaller yet, I'd say go for a K-S2.
12-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are they revised? Raw?

They are really good.
I think the KP is newer.
I don't a K5 any more. I own a K3, K-1 and K-1 II. The K5 shots I have on Flickr were either done with a K5 or later with a K5 II.

The sensor in the K5 is really a good one and has wonderful dynamic range at low iso. It isn't as good at high iso as the KP, which is several years newer. Any one of them will beat the Olympus in those respects, but as I said earlier, it may be good enough for your needs. There really aren't any bad cameras on the market these days, although there are more than a few poor lenses.
12-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mainly shoot with the KP these days, but still have my K-S2 of some 3 years now, and my longer-owned K-5 IIs, all bought new. Although the KP is the top-performer, I still use the other two without any hesitation. That is how enduringly good they are. While the K-5 IIs is amazingly rugged in build, the K-S2 is well-built but amazingly small and lightweight. With its super-compact 18-50mm kit lens, it is unbelievably so. Imaging is very good with this lens too, and it has quiet, accurate, fast AF and WR. Then all that is needed for high-level imaging is- add the inexpensive DA 35mm f/2.4 (now at $97 at B&H) and the DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited (the silver version now on sale at B&H for $420). Two extremely sharp compact lenses new for $517 from B&H is not bad, and those two combined with a good deal on an A-1 shape used K-S2 (Maybe with the 18-50mm kit lens) would provide terrific imaging capability. This outfit could be very good as indication to anyone who is knowledgeable in equipment use, just how good the imaging of a Pentax system can be.

That DA 70mm LTD is one wow of a lens, great for so many uses, great for portraits. Top-notch imaging. The newer current HD version, which I have, is an improvement with its rounded blades for better bokeh. I found buying a silver compact Limited lens before I got the KP, and putting it on my black K-S2 looked great to me, very classy. Much better than the off-white Canon L-lenses on their black bodies.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-05-2018 at 06:16 PM.
12-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #118

Original Poster
Hello, I've been very busy.
Thanks for the added information and suggestions.

I'll take a decision in a few days.
Thank you!
12-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Thank you!
One issue with M4/3 and the reason I upgraded to full frame, perhaps the main reason, is DOF control. Yes, a 25mm f1.2 or similar on M4/3 is compact and capable of fine results but the actual aperture of that lens is much smaller.

This might not be a problem. I actually thought it was an advantage on APS-C when I was shooting indoor professional (AHL) hockey shooting at f2.8 I was getting the DOF of f/4 which covered up some focus errors and/or DOF issues.

Fuji makes a compelling system. I think the X-T1/2/3 series cameras are pretty nice. They have a nice lens lineup. But the system isn't cheap and it's not perfect. Battery life is pretty awful as one issue. I think from an ergonomics and UI point of view Pentax is one of the best in the business at making cameras that just make sense. That's not a knock on fuji, I own their X10 and I think it's a great camera, I've played extensively with the X-T2 when I was considering buying into fuji.

If you really just want a super small camera with the novelty of interchangeable lenses, you can pick up a used Pentax Q system pretty cheaply. I think it will even accept old Pentax 110 lenses with an adapter.

12-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thank you!
We've all been very busy too ... trying to find out what your decision is ??
Cheers!