Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2019, 12:56 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
what do you mean by

Pentax WR?
To have the camera and lens sealed against rain/dust/sand...you need a body(most Pentax) and lenses marked WR(weather resistant) or AW(all weather)...the KS-1 isnt a sealed body,the KS-2 is sealed.

So, how do you see the fact of having say, one XH1 and one Pentax like say, K3?
Kind of

Do you think it would make more sense to have a pentax full frame and a fuji like XT3 or XH1?
It makes perfect sense to someday getting a K-1,a superb stills camera for a certain sort of photography,both the Fujis will provide what the K-1 cant do.In saying that it will cost a fair investment.Theres nothing wrong with starting out with the KS-2 and the WR basic lenses 18/55 and 50/200.
Fuji and Pentax,
And M43.

01-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #257

Original Poster
Ok, I get it. We think the same. Sometimes a have simple issues with the english vocabulary and I can miss the accurate sense of the phrase.

I saw a few very good deals for Pentax. For ex, one K3 III new for 300 euros(!!!), in the box!! , or a KS1 for 120, like new, but someone arrived before me. It's a question of speed and opportunity. I keep watching and searching.

There are a lot of items selling in January because this is the begining of the year and many people received a kind of "bonus" from the company where they work - normally in Dec or Jan.

---------- Post added 01-31-19 at 11:35 PM ----------

The missing dial on the KS1 is a major negative point for me...

but I could live with that for a certain period of time...

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 01-31-2019 at 11:38 PM.
02-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Hello,
I don't know where should I publish this thread. I found that it was here, but I am not 100% sure.
I have a Fuji XE1, I like it and would like to upgrade to a XE3 or XT1 or XT2,
but I am discovering Pentax. For me Pentax was only analogic... but I just read about the extraordinary K1 and K1 II, and I was very surprised. Excuse me for my ignorance!

Can anyone tell me what are the Pentax cameras that are at the same level of... say... the XE3? A good viewfinder is very important for me.
Thank you very much.

I wish that Pentax had the retro look of fuji... but I guess they have their own beauty. I am not used to, that's all.

May be if I'll have one, with time I begin to find it beautiful.
There is no need to move from Fuji to another brand, looking for the same type or class of camera. You heared about the K1/ii. This camera offers IBIS, larger pixel count and overall better image quality if needed. Are you ready for fullframe?
If you want to stick with APS-C, DSLR from Pentax and Mirrorless from Fuji are quite different. Not sure what system attracts you the most. If you like electronic viewfinders ... stay with Fuji. If you prefer a mirror - this is the real retro-feature of all Pentax DSLRs - go Pentax. In APS-C you have more prime lenses from Pentax than in FF. APS-C is the more complete system.
Everything else you find out while playing with a Pentax in a shop or renting one.
04-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #259

Photos: Albums
@Francisco

During the last month I took my K3-II out from the drybox and did some tests versus my Fuji XT1 to refresh my memory and impressions.
Here is what I concluded:

- K3-II battery lasts more
- K3-II is best in low light and higher ISOS
- K3-II optical viewfinder is way better than Fuji's EVF in dim or low light by a huge margin
- K3-II jpegs are very easy to work with, specially if you try DxO Photo Lab

- Fuji makes a score on having a decenf focus peaking system
- Fuji is way lighter
- All Fuji's lenses are excellent, even the XC18-55 from the kit
- Fuji's raw are still a pain to extract all the juice. You need a decent raw converter. The JPEGS are way better than the Pentax ones.

- Good Pentax lenses are expensive. Period.
- Pentax has a wider offer of lenses, from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.

The question about to change from Pentax to Fuji would depend if I already have a good set of lenses for it or not.
There are also plenty of extremely good old Pentax KA lenses on market for a very reasonable price and they are 100% compatible with the digital Pentax cameras.

IF I had a really decent lens set for Pentax, I would stick with it.

I still have both systems, and If someday I need to choose one, I would probably sell the Fuji.

04-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioS Quote
@Francisco

During the last month I took my K3-II out from the drybox and did some tests versus my Fuji XT1 to refresh my memory and impressions.
Here is what I concluded:

- K3-II battery lasts more
- K3-II is best in low light and higher ISOS
- K3-II optical viewfinder is way better than Fuji's EVF in dim or low light by a huge margin
- K3-II jpegs are very easy to work with, specially if you try DxO Photo Lab

- Fuji makes a score on having a decenf focus peaking system
- Fuji is way lighter
- All Fuji's lenses are excellent, even the XC18-55 from the kit
- Fuji's raw are still a pain to extract all the juice. You need a decent raw converter. The JPEGS are way better than the Pentax ones.

- Good Pentax lenses are expensive. Period.
- Pentax has a wider offer of lenses, from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.

The question about to change from Pentax to Fuji would depend if I already have a good set of lenses for it or not.
There are also plenty of extremely good old Pentax KA lenses on market for a very reasonable price and they are 100% compatible with the digital Pentax cameras.

I still have both systems, and If someday I need to choose one, I would probably sell the Fuji.
I too find that these two systems work well together, with the strengths of one making up for the weaknesses of the other. If I had to sell stuff off I'd keep a Fujifilm body (not sure of the M1 or T20) and the 35/1.4.

It's interesting that you found the K3II (same sensor as K-3) is better than the X-T1 (same sensor as X-M1) in low light. I have found that my X-M1 has significantly better IQ at high ISOs than my K-3, though it may struggle to focus occasionally when light is low.
04-30-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #261

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I too find that these two systems work well together, with the strengths of one making up for the weaknesses of the other. If I had to sell stuff off I'd keep a Fujifilm body (not sure of the M1 or T20) and the 35/1.4.

It's interesting that you found the K3II (same sensor as K-3) is better than the X-T1 (same sensor as X-M1) in low light. I have found that my X-M1 has significantly better IQ at high ISOs than my K-3, though it may struggle to focus occasionally when light is low.

Well, every night sky photo I did with the K5/K3 came much better than the X-T1.

Take a look at this one made with the K5-II

I agree with you, both systems can coexist

For example, I prefer the XT1 than the K3-II for "urban travel" just because it's way lighter and more discrete.
But the Pentax are much tougher.
For light travel, I'm using two cameras, Panasonic LX100 and GX7

Depends a lot on what you need or want.

Oh, one thing I hate so much about some Fuji lenses is the aperture control ring.
It's obviously a nice feature, but it's too easy to change the aperture by mistake and the "A" position has no lock.
Several times I was using aperture priority ("A" position on aperture ring) and changed it to F16 by accident.

Last edited by AntonioS; 05-07-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Adding information / corrected typo
05-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

Fuji XT1 and Penta K3II share the same sensor. Results for the same exposure should be more or less the same.

What I found mostly complements my Pentax setup is Fuji x100 series. Their OVF is nice. I prefer the OVF to EVF. And it has a moderately wide & bright lens - something that Pentax lacks..

05-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #263

There's also another thing to consider, the Fuji's raw development. If you want to extract all the juice from the X-Trans sensor array please forget Lightroom. I'm using Fujis since they were launched and believe me Adobe's raw engine for Fuji really sucks, even in plain 2019. But thanks God we have some good options for this now, for example:

Best Fuji X-Trans raw developers:

- Silkypix Pro versions 8 and up. This thing can deliver the best results IF you manage it right, but it's slow like continental drift.

- Iridient Developer: Excellent, but need caution when using the sharpen algorithms, it's prone to strange artifacts. Horrendous interface, but works well.

- Capture One for Fuji. Works well. Too bad that the free version is very crippled and the paid one extremely expensive for what it is.

- Luminar 2018: This one works well and it's my first row in battle. Fast and affordable. When things goes bad I switch to Silkypix and take a coffee.

- RawTherapee: The most comprehensive raw converter ever, but extremely complicated and can deliver absolutely stunning results.

Note that all the abobe mentioned software can be used with Pentax .PEF raw files, but for this task my option is still DxO PhotoLab.

Last edited by AntonioS; 05-04-2019 at 07:35 AM.
05-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #264
Veteran Member

Agree about Rawtherapee. Im usung that and after some time of learning it really isnt that complicated for most od the devoloping purposes.
It plays great with both Xtrans files from Fuji and Pixelshift from Pentax... and it is free
05-03-2019, 11:47 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioS Quote
I know this is a broken record response, but what are you missing? You have a K-3 II. What lens are you wanting? Available new or recenltly available new, you could get the following'

SMC DA 15
Sigma 28 EX DG
F 50 1.7
Tamron 90mm f2.5 AF Macro
DA 18-135
DA 55-300 PLM RE
Tamron 28-75

Where are you wanting to be that the above doesn't get you?
05-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #266

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I know this is a broken record response, but what are you missing? You have a K-3 II. What lens are you wanting? Available new or recenltly available new, you could get the following'

SMC DA 15
Sigma 28 EX DG
F 50 1.7
Tamron 90mm f2.5 AF Macro
DA 18-135
DA 55-300 PLM RE
Tamron 28-75

Where are you wanting to be that the above doesn't get you?

It's not my case. It was an assumption about someone having a Pentax and thinking about moving to Fuji.

---------- Post added 05-04-19 at 07:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Agree about Rawtherapee. Im usung that and after some time of learning it really isnt that complicated for most od the devoloping purposes.
It plays great with both Xtrans files from Fuji and Pixelshift from Pentax... and it is free
That's true. RT is in my opinion, by far, the most powerful raw converter ever, but it's not for beginners. There are so many options enough to make most people be dizzy just for looking.
05-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #267

Original Poster
Hey, hello!!

Information and experience is very important. But for me, this subject is not hundred per cent rational.
I have enough information about different brands and optics.
I bought different devices to experiment.
After all, and for good, my decision is to stay with FUJI. Point.
It is not better than some others, for many people. For some, it is.
I can't live without the physical dials of Fuji, I looooove the fim simulations and lenses. Love the colors. Af improved a lot. The design is gooooourgeous. Lots of firmware. Thanks to that, XE2 is diffferent than a few years ago,

The lenses are excellent, I have some. I also have now a big collection of vintage glass, lots of takumar and others.

Size matters here. Small is better!! And so on...
My Oympus with lenses is for sale. I am waiting for a refurbished XE2. I paid 200 euros for it. What more can I ask?

I will have a XT2 later. Finally, it is not very important, it can wait, because it is a Fuji...
As someone said here, I concentrate in buying glass. Glass, more glass!

This is a love affair. When you have the right girl with you, you don't need to compare to other girls. Eh eheh...!!

That said, it is always nice to talk about our experience and points of view. This threat is for life!
Thanks for all of you.
05-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #268

Original Poster
Antonio,
I had the Fuji XM1 and the XE1 and the XM1 has better behavior in low light.
That's strange : XE1 and others are good in low ight, but the XM1 has the best score.
I made streetshots by night and the result was outstanding.
Also, the JPEGS are eve superior to those from XE1, XT1, etc.
Why? I don't know, but I am not the only one giving that feedback.
I guess that the inbuilt "software" makes a difference...may be!

I sold it because I can't live without a good viewfinder.
05-07-2019, 04:42 AM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
RawTherapee is awesome. After a somewhat steep learning curve I can get results on par with Lightroom (out of my Pentax gear - no Fuji experience). I don't do a lot of pixel shift, but it's seamless and easy with RT.

If you don't want to be overwhelmed by RT's complexity, just don't go near the Advanced tab. I can do everything I need without diving into sub-levels of Retinex and the like.
05-08-2019, 12:51 AM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
If you don't want to be overwhelmed by RT's complexity, just don't go near the Advanced tab. I can do everything I need without diving into sub-levels of Retinex and the like.
Yeh, I too dont use anything from advanced tab - I've found that the time effort to use those tools to get minimal IQ benefits over standard tools just isnt worth it for vast majority of photos.