Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #286

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
Hi Antonio,
Also, AF with Oly are much much better, with automatic motorised enses, of course. Very fast.
Do you agree?

No. I had severe issues with Oly AF in low light and under red/orange/yellow light. Impossible to get an AF lock, for example on an illuminated water fountain at night in Barcelona when it was lit by the mentioned colors.

Depends hugely on what lenses are you using on Fuji, Oly and all other brands. Some lenses are slow to focus, other extremely fast.

Fuji XF23,XF27,XF35 and XF50 are very fast to focus. Some zooms are slow.

For me the best AF is from Panasonic. Never miss.

05-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #287

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioS Quote
No. I had severe issues with Oly AF in low light and under red/orange/yellow light. Impossible to get an AF lock, for example on an illuminated water fountain at night in Barcelona when it was lit by the mentioned colors.

Depends hugely on what lenses are you using on Fuji, Oly and all other brands. Some lenses are slow to focus, other extremely fast.

Fuji XF23,XF27,XF35 and XF50 are very fast to focus. Some zooms are slow.

For me the best AF is from Panasonic. Never miss.
Hi Antonio, yes in low light. I agree.

---------- Post added 05-21-19 at 08:10 AM ----------

Francisco,

I like both X20 and X30. They have exactly the same output. Both can be extremely sharp if you do the things with care, for example shoot in raw and do the post processing with a decent raw converter (LR no please). Of course they aren't a K1 you know.

The optical viewfinder of the X20 is nice but unusable for close ups and macro, but better for low light. Battery life is low, about 250 pics maximum.

The X30's EVF is quite good and the battery lasts much more, about 450 photos.

Some days ago I posted a very short post about this on my blog. I'll update it in the next week with more examples. Note that the images quality can be compromised when uploading them to Google Photos.

Old Good Light: Remember Fuji X20 and X30 ? How Good are Them Really ?

Nowadays colors and contrast are more due to software than optics, believe me. Specially if your edition software is able to work with LUT tables.
Nice litle review, thanks!
I finaly downloaded RawTherapee, I decided to begin my photos in raw, that's a new adventure.
05-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #288
Forum Member

just a little self thinking about myself

if i own XT2 or XT3 and some decent fuji lenses

no way i switch to pentax

end of story xD
05-22-2019, 03:21 AM   #289

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote

end of story xD

Me neither!!

05-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #290

I'm still deciding if i'll keep both systems or not. It's not so obvious depending on the application.

There are good and bad things on both systems. For example I really hate the AF noise from some Pentax lenses and some other AF issues.

I also hate Fuji's EVF in low light and that loose aperture control rings of most of the R series lenses.

But generally speaking, I can't deny that Fujinons are awesome, I never saw a bad one or even a so-so one.

Decisions, decisions....
05-22-2019, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #291
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote

end of story xD
Ya, if you already paid the price what would be the point? Apart from my lenses working on both APS-c and FF cameras, astro tracer, pixels shift etc. But it's still possible someone could buy into Pentax because of features Fuji doesn't have. It depends on what you want. If you do no niche shooting, then individual camera attributes make no difference. Almost any camera can do snapshots and candids. You buy the camera that's best for what you do... if you don't do what Pentax does, switching to Fuji makes sense if you can afford it. If you want features that Pentax has, then sticking with Fuji makes no sense. Thanks for your statements of your personal preferences, but I don't see that it adds much to the conversation besides a bit of cheerleading.

I'm sure there are lots of folks out there who make good use of both brands. Whether or not they should switch to the other is a personal decision based on personal needs. Those of us here with Pentax are here for good reasons, and I'm sure there are also good reasons for shooting Fuji as well.

So, no, not end of story.

Since the implementation of Pixel Shift that is now on all the Pentax models currently available, I've had trouble considering any camera completely dependant on a Bayer array and interpolation to be somewhat backward. It's all a matter of perspective.

Last edited by normhead; 05-22-2019 at 08:49 AM.
05-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #292

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Since the implementation of Pixel Shift that is now on all the Pentax models currently available, I've had trouble considering any camera completely dependant on a Bayer array and interpolation to be somewhat backward. It's all a matter of perspective.
I have the same sensation after using Sigma Foveon cameras. It's a bit off topic but I couldn't find any camera/lens combination capable of surpassing the DP2 Merrill image quality in good light. Even pixel shift from the K3-II can't compete.

Like you said, there are many niches and possibilities around.

05-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #293
Pentaxian

I have the same sensation after using Sigma Foveon cameras. It's a bit off topic but I couldn't find any camera/lens combination capable of surpassing the DP2 Merrill image quality in good light. Even pixel shift from the K3-II can't compete.

Like you said, there are many niches and possibilities around.
Incredible image quality from the DPII, which I also owned. A 12 MP file was clearer than a 16 MP K-3 file for the same scene. I sold it because I never used it. No shake reduction, you had to take a tripod for an everyday landscape, and didn't really fit in the bag as an extra body to be used when appropriate. And high ISO was limited. In the end I sold it to a guy, who like me just had to try it out.

Last edited by normhead; 05-22-2019 at 02:12 PM.
09-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #294

Hi I have the same camera.. i will find a back but i need to know before i get into buying more for this camera there is a cut on the back left side of the top plate to allow the poloroid door to.open
. Are tje modifications made here permanent and will i have any problems modifying it back to 120
10-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #295
Forum Member

Ive been tempted to get into the fujifilm world. Their image quality and photos look splendid and rich. I have an original x100 that makes wonderful images.

However the flagship models and lenses cost an arm and a leg. One day i may get into their xt2 or xt3 and fuji lenses.

10-01-2019, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #296

Just an update.

I sold all of my expensive Fuji equipment but I kept a X-T1 body with just three inexpensive lenses, the XF27 pancake, the very basic XC 16-50 and the XC 50-230 to be used as a low cost and light option to my Pentax gear. A second hand X-T1 is very affordable and capable, and with equivalent image quality of the K5-II, depending on the lens used, of course.

The problem with the Fuji is, like every Fuji user knows is the raw processing of the X-Trans files. Today the best option is the freeware version of Capture One, called Capture One Express for Fuji. Works well and it's free, BUT you need to work a lot to extract all the juice from the raw files, especially in terms of sharpness.

The K5 has essentially the same output, but easyer. I recommend Luminar or DxO Photo Lab (due to the excellent optical modules)

Today I wouldn't even thing to abandon Pentax and go to Fuji. Not even considering the X-T3. It's a great camera but still a pain with the raw files and honestly, it's too expensive for what it is.
That's why I kept my K3 and gave up about upgrading my Fuji equipment.
10-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #297
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Just an update.

I sold all of my expensive Fuji equipment but I kept a X-T1 body with just three inexpensive lenses, the XF27 pancake, the very basic XC 16-50 and the XC 50-230 to be used as a low cost and light option to my Pentax gear. A second hand X-T1 is very affordable and capable, and with equivalent image quality of the K5-II, depending on the lens used, of course.

The problem with the Fuji is, like every Fuji user knows is the raw processing of the X-Trans files. Today the best option is the freeware version of Capture One, called Capture One Express for Fuji. Works well and it's free, BUT you need to work a lot to extract all the juice from the raw files, especially in terms of sharpness.

The K5 has essentially the same output, but easyer. I recommend Luminar or DxO Photo Lab (due to the excellent optical modules)

Today I wouldn't even thing to abandon Pentax and go to Fuji. Not even considering the X-T3. It's a great camera but still a pain with the raw files and honestly, it's too expensive for what it is.
That's why I kept my K3 and gave up about upgrading my Fuji equipment.
You're not alone, Antonio, I bought a Sony NEX-6 and A7 back in the day, but since buying a K-S2 and K-1, they spend most of their time in the cupboard. A Ricoh executive got laughed at after predicting that some people who buy mirrorless for novelty will buy DSLRs again, either as a replacement or to shoot both systems.
10-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A Ricoh executive got laughed at after predicting that some people who buy mirrorless for novelty will buy DSLRs again, either as a replacement or to shoot both systems.
Part of the "laughed at" problem is that clickbait sites like PetaPixel - which is as much a trollhaven as DPR's comments section - completely misrepresented Ricoh's stance. Here's a key sentence from Ricoh regarding the "return to DSLR":

QuoteQuote:
But it might be they use both systems, DSLR and mirrorless. Because each system has its own benefits.
Such an even-handed sentiment won't make headlines, though.
10-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #299

I've been considering a move to mirrorless or even M43 because I travel a lot and do street photography, so having a smaller system would be great. The XT-3 seems like a fantastic camera and I love the controls (which remind me of a film camera).

I've enjoyed my K-70 but I feel as if I'm outgrowing it and unfortunately Pentax doesn't really offer anything I would be interested in right now. I would definitely consider a K-3iii and am waiting until March or April of 2020 before I decide on anything.
10-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by truculent Quote
I've been considering a move to mirrorless or even M43 because I travel a lot and do street photography, so having a smaller system would be great. The XT-3 seems like a fantastic camera and I love the controls (which remind me of a film camera).

I've enjoyed my K-70 but I feel as if I'm outgrowing it and unfortunately Pentax doesn't really offer anything I would be interested in right now. I would definitely consider a K-3iii and am waiting until March or April of 2020 before I decide on anything.
There's certainly a number of things Pentax doesn't offer, but is there something specific you're looking for?

I used the K-70 and Fuji X-T20 during the same time period and found the K-70 overall more pleasant and capable.