Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

From Fuji to Pentax? May be yes, may be not.

Hello,
I don't know where should I publish this thread. I found that it was here, but I am not 100% sure.
I have a Fuji XE1, I like it and would like to upgrade to a XE3 or XT1 or XT2,
but I am discovering Pentax. For me Pentax was only analogic... but I just read about the extraordinary K1 and K1 II, and I was very surprised. Excuse me for my ignorance!

Can anyone tell me what are the Pentax cameras that are at the same level of... say... the XE3? A good viewfinder is very important for me.
Thank you very much.

I wish that Pentax had the retro look of fuji... but I guess they have their own beauty. I am not used to, that's all.

May be if I'll have one, with time I begin to find it beautiful.

11-28-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

Pentax doesn't offer a mirrorless camera with an electronic viewfinder.

Their only APS-C mirrorless camera was the K-01, now discontinued, it only had a rear live view screen (no finder.)

The K1 and K1 II are full-frame DSLRs with optical finders.

Pentax cameras are certainly made as well or better than the Fuji's, but they have no models similar to the Fujis you mentioned.
11-28-2018, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP has a real retro SLR look, Francisco.

If your photography is staying with APS-C, you might as well stick to Fuji, you've already got it and its lenses.

But if you were thinking of upgrading to full frame, you should definitely consider the K-1 and the K-mount - 43 years of lenses new and old to draw from. The K-1 even resembles the Pentax 6x7 if you love your camera history.
11-28-2018, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

If your photography is staying with APS-C, you might as well stick to Fuji, you've already got it and its lenses.
I wouldn't be quite so swift to write off Pentax, even for APS-C.

The OP asked about "level", not "exactly like" - and he asked about viewfinders.
Pentax has always been known for their wonderful viewfinders, and that is still true today.

The KP is a wonderful camera - not so swift for events, but great for landscape and high ISO work.
I'm surprised at how much they can get into my viewfinder and still give me a good view of the subject.

And when mine came yesterday I left it on the dining room table.
When my wife came home, she asked "where is your new camera?", and I said "you are looking at it".
She had thought my new camera was the camera I purchased in 1983 - not "rangefinder retro", but you are right, it is "Pentax retro".

11-28-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
I'm prepared to gamble the KP is good for events, especially sports. I shoot mostly high school sports which means shooting in dimly lit gyms in godforsaken locations which is where I hope the KP pays off. And don't tell me Pentax can't shoot sports because I do it frequently and I'm getting sharp results. The KP was made, if memory serves, to compete with mirrorless cameras and was very much in keeping with the compact size Pentax has been known for since the ME, ME Super and MX cameras. I would give a long look at the KP or even K-70, which shares some KP features.

Last edited by LXNights; 11-30-2018 at 10:11 PM.
11-28-2018, 05:44 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All current Pentax DSLRs have a good viewfinder: full coverage optical, bright (pentaprism), and good magnification. That's the great part about it, you can have the "entry level" k70 and still get a great viewfinder (as well as many other nice things).

Compared to the fuji e3, I also think the KP is the closest, also price-wise. The pentax kp has ibis and weather sealing, but it lacks 4k video, so it really depends on what you need (I for one basically never shoot video). Features aside, I tend to like how Pentax feels in use, but I haven't tried a Fuji for more than a few minutes at a time so I can't compare.

I've shot plenty of sports and action with the k3ii, which is an older model, I concur with LXNights about the KP being perfectly fine for sports. Here's one of a few threads with sports photos on here on PF Sports photography - single images - Page 31 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aaacb; 11-28-2018 at 05:59 PM.
11-28-2018, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
Hello,
I don't know where should I publish this thread. I found that it was here, but I am not 100% sure.
I have a Fuji XE1, I like it and would like to upgrade to a XE3 or XT1 or XT2,
but I am discovering Pentax. For me Pentax was only analogic... but I just read about the extraordinary K1 and K1 II, and I was very surprised. Excuse me for my ignorance!

Can anyone tell me what are the Pentax cameras that are at the same level of... say... the XE3? A good viewfinder is very important for me.
Thank you very much.

I wish that Pentax had the retro look of fuji... but I guess they have their own beauty. I am not used to, that's all.

May be if I'll have one, with time I begin to find it beautiful.
I think you might mean the Fuji XT-3, which is listed as their current top mirrorless APS-C model. The K-1, as has been said, is a completely different animal. It is not of APS-C format, but the larger full-frame sensor. Your image size in the frame using a lens of the same focal length will not be the same. The full frame (FF) sensor will present a wider field of view (VOF). It also has an optical VF instead of an electronic one, so it is not mirrorless. The camera will also of necessity be larger and heavier. There are some FF mirrorless designs, the most prominent, I believe, are by Sony. Many people own cameras of both formats due to each having certain advantages.

Fuji specializes in mirrorless APS-C designs, while Pentax specializes in APS-C models of DSLR, which means having an optical viewfinder as apposed to an electronic one. Again, each has its own advantages. With an EVF, you get an electronic representation of reality, while with an OVF you are looking through the lens directly at reality. The EVF can be electronically manipulated, including illumination, or zooming, since it is a representation. With the OVF, it is what it is, but it is reality. Because of the OVF assembly, APS-C DSLR cameras are generally larger and heavier somewhat, compared to mirrorless designs.

As far as changing to Pentax as your over-all system, much would depend on whether you have specific shooting interests and what those might be. For instance, if you are much into sports or other action shooting, and do a lot of burst shooting, and continuous AF, the Fuji XT-3 has outstanding specs for that. Its video AF performance will no doubt be better.

But you bring up a more retro design, which of course includes controls. My observation of the XT-3 is its controls are indeed retro, reminiscent of manual-focus 35mm film bodies of the 1970's. I see the shutter speed knob on top, with also an ISO setting knob, and one for exposure comp. Very straight forward, as it was then. But there are disadvantages too. I see the setting jumps are in full stops, while my Pentax DSLR bodies can be set for 1/2 or 1/3 stop jumps. Considerably more sophistication.

The APS-C DSLR closest to being similar size and retro look as the XT-3, offered by Pentax, is the KP. It of course has its OVF. Its VF spec states a magnification of .95x which is better than the .75x of the XT-3. It also has a built-in flash, handy for immediate needs, such as daylight fill flash. Yet it is very close to the same size and weight. About the same dimensions, and 1.5lb. with card and battery vs 1.2lb. for the XT-3. Just as easy to set shutter speed with the KP via the front finger dial, and shown both in the VF and on the rear screen. Actually, with the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, you can instantly change either shutter speed or aperture, using the thumb or finger dials even when in Program mode, which instantly shifts the camera to aperture or shutter priority, and returns to full Program operation with a touch of a button. The KP's controls are exceptionally efficient and offer enormous options. No touch-screen though. Many of us do not prefer such, and with the KP's fine controls it is not needed. As to the weight, depending on lenses, sometimes the Pentax KP DSLR ensemble is equal or lighter than the Fuji XT-3 ensemble. The excellent Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 tele zoom lens on the KP is at least as light as a Fuji's similar lens on the XT-3. The KP also features in-body image stabilization, which will be in effect with any lens, even very good vintage lenses, some of which can be had at low cost.

So again, much depends on personal shooting needs.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-28-2018 at 06:12 PM.
11-28-2018, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #8

I have a Fuji X-E2 and a Pentax K-3. For me, the 4 main differences between the two camera systems are:

1. Viewfinders. The optical Pentax pentaprisim viewfinders give a bigger view than most of the electronic viewfinders (EVF) used by Fuji. The Pentax view finder may be brighter if you have a lens with a wide maximum aperture mounted in bright light. As you know from using your X-E1, EVFs can amplify the screen so with a slow lens in poor light, the EVF can be much brighter. The Fuji EVF can also show you an electronic preview of the image including exposure compensation, digital filters, depth of field, white balance, etc. that cannot be displayed on an optical viewfinder.

2. Size and weight. All current production Pentax bodies are significantly larger and heavier than your X-E1 and the X-E3. Even the bigger Fuji X-T1 and X-T2 are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the smallest Pentax.

3. Lenses. Pentax has half a dozen excellent prime lenses in the DA Limited series which are small and light enough to partially offset the big, heavy Pentax bodies, but they are slower than most of the Fuji primes. If you prefer a zoom in the 18-55mm range Pentax offers mostly kit zooms. They are light and affordable, slow maximum apertures, and pretty good image quality, but not in the same league with Fuji's kit zooms. Pentaxes higher quality zooms tend to have wider apertures and/or greater zoom ranges which makes them quite hefty compared to Fuji's most excellent XF 18-55mm F2.8-4. Fuji's offers several prime lenses with f/1.4 maximum apertures and slower versions at F/2.0. Pentax offers very few primes as fast as that. However, few of the Fuji primes include OIS (optical image stabilization), which may be significant because ...

4. Image stabilization. All Pentax bodies include IBIS (in body image stabilization), but most Fujis, including all of the models you mentioned, do not. Fuji does have one model with IBIS, the X-H1. So, if you want image stabilization for most Fujis, you will need to buy Fuji lenses which include it.

There are many other differences which may be minor, or deal-breakers, depending on your needs: Pentax has better battery life, Fuji offers a lot more firmware updates, sometimes providing significant upgrades to older cameras, Pentax may take a little more rough stuff, Fuji make less noise (electronic shutter and no mirror flop), Pentax offers more weather sealed bodies and lenses, and some longer telephotos not offered by Fuji, etc.

Last edited by runswithsizzers; 11-28-2018 at 09:50 PM.
11-28-2018, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Can anyone tell me what are the Pentax cameras that are at the same level of... say... the XE3?
Francisco,

There are lot of factors to consider in determining which system. I am not sure if anyone asked these questions:
1. What type of photography do you do?
2. Do you shoot RAW?
3. What is your budget?
4. Do you have other Fuji bodies or multiple lenses? Switching systems could be costly if you are invested heavily in one and want to switch to another
5. What is the reason for wanting to switch?
These are just a few general questions. We could go into much more detail about the differences in the systems and what they offer vs. the competition.

I happen to have both the K1 and the X-T2. I bought the X-T2 a few months ago mainly to do 4K videos and possibly my still work. I must say that the JPEGs coming off the Fuji are great. The focusing is faster than my K1. I was thinking of letting my entire Pentax system go in favor of switching to all Fuji gear. Now I am not sure if I want to let my K1 go.

K1 is a beast compared to the Fuji. RAW images coming from the K1 are easily in medium format territory in pure image quality.

Pentax has a number of APSc offerings that are in the Fuji class for sensor size. I really like the KP. I have owned a K5IIs and a K3 and the KP is better than both in image quality and ergonomics. Remember, Pentax is an OVF DSLR with TTL focusing utilizing a mirror housing. Fuji cameras are all mirror less with EVFs.

As @clackers called it, if you are happy with APSc image quality, stay with Fuji. If you want to step up to an FF sensor with higher image quality, then a K1 is a bargain priced camera that has no equal. I have owned many Canon FF cameras and shot Nikons too. No Canon can match the K1 and Nikon can match it at higher priced bodies. The only Fuji that can match the image quality of the K1 is their medium format camera which is in a different price category.

I hope I did not "talk too much.," and my comments help you in some way.
11-28-2018, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

@btnapa- If you like getting good JPEGs right out of the camera, the KP does a remarkable job with these if you implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. Some test reviews of the camera took notice of this. I usually shoot with the camera set to the default "Bright" Custom Image category, with "Fine Sharpening" activated, and I get excellent results with JPEG images.
11-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
@btnapa- If you like getting good JPEGs right out of the camera, the KP does a remarkable job with these if you implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. Some test reviews of the camera took notice of this. I usually shoot with the camera set to the default "Bright" Custom Image category, with "Fine Sharpening" activated, and I get excellent results with JPEG images.
Hi @mikesbike,

I have not shot JPEGs in ages. I prefer the control and choices I have with RAW files. I shot JPEGs with Fuji due to film simulation offering and the fact that their RAW images are not PS or LR friendly. Lots of issue with RAW images from Fuji. I understand you have to use another software to process the RAW files first then bring them into PS or LR for further processing.

FYI, a die hard Pentaxian friend of mine shoots in JPEG only. I keep telling him he should try RAW but he is totally happy with his JPEG images. He shoots for a few news outlets so he likes the fact that JPEGs are ready to deliver right out of the camera. My photo work is not so rush so I have time to mess around with the RAW files. K1 files have tons of latitude for tweaking. It truly is a world class camera. I might give the JPEGs a try at some point. Speaking of the KP, I was blown away by how clean the images are in high ISO. I loved the feel of the camera too. What a beautiful little gem.

I will follow your suggestions when I do try JPEGs. Thanks for the info.
11-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
Woau! I am surprised about the reactivity in this forum. I will read it slowly and answer later, thank you! There's lot of information and points of view here.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 01:04 AM ----------

Hi Cipher,

Got it. I just want to identify what cameras are in the same level of the one like Fuji XE3, but it's good to know that Pentax doesn't offer mirrorless cameras. Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 01:12 AM ----------

But if you were thinking of upgrading to full frame, you should definitely consider the K-1 and the K-mount - 43 years of lenses new and old to draw from. The K-1 even resembles the Pentax 6x7 if you love your camera history.
Hi clackers, The PK and K-3 have reminiscences of the 6x7, but don't look retro at all. I can live with that. 6x7 is really a beautiful vintage. I have to read carefully about those cameras you mentioned. K1 looks the way to go, I'm sure it's a very good camera, but I have to read more about that, in order to have a more consistent opinion.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 11-29-2018 at 02:19 AM.
11-29-2018, 02:10 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi clackers, The PK and K-3 have reminiscences of the 6x7, but don't look retro at all. I can live with that. 6x7 is relly a beautiful vintage. I have to read carefully about those cameras you mentioned. K1 looks the way to go, I'm sure it's a very good camera, but I have to read more about that, in order to have a more consistent opinion.
I think you'll find that most reviews on the Internet are by people who don't either use or understand Pentax, Francisco, so I'd urge you to look at this forum's review, and pictures taken by forum members:

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Post your K-1 pictures! - PentaxForums.com
11-29-2018, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
I think you'll find that most reviews on the Internet are by people who don't either use or understand Pentax, Francisco, so I'd urge you to look at this forum's review, and pictures taken by forum members:

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Post your K-1 pictures! - PentaxForums.com
Yes, It's better.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 02:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wouldn't be quite so swift to write off Pentax, even for APS-C.

The OP asked about "level", not "exactly like" - and he asked about viewfinders.
Pentax has always been known for their wonderful viewfinders, and that is still true today.

The KP is a wonderful camera - not so swift for events, but great for landscape and high ISO work.
I'm surprised at how much they can get into my viewfinder and still give me a good view of the subject.

And when mine came yesterday I left it on the dining room table.
When my wife came home, she asked "where is your new camera?", and I said "you are looking at it".
She had thought my new camera was the camera I purchased in 1983 - not "rangefinder retro", but you are right, it is "Pentax retro".
Hi reh321!
Yes, I want to see something different, an alternative, because I'm curious.

If I wanted the same, I'd stay with Fuji - may be I will - but I am looking for the same level in Pentax.
I wonder if the viewfinder on KP lets me have an idea about what I am doing.
With the XE1, if I am not giving it enough light, the viewfinder shows me a dark image.
For someone with litle experience like me, it is a great feature.

If I can say an objective thing, it is that I'd like to have a very good viewfinder.
XE1's is good, but I'd like better, bigger, confortable and helpful like the one in XE1.
May be XE3, may be other.

Also, weather sealing is a good feature to.
The other day I had to stop shooting because it began to rain.
Frustrating. The K's are whether sealing, as the XT1. XT1 has a very good viewfinder.
So, other than a better viewfinder and weather sealing, may be 24MP will be useful, to crop. I crop a lot.
Not essencial, but confortable.

I can see many nice photos made with ooooold cameras, 16M or less.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 02:47 AM ----------

Hey clackers, I saw the link you sent me with the images of K1.
They are superb. So natural in all the surface.

What I like is the extra information, without loosing the natural aspect of thinks, and when I crop it maintains detail.
Doesn't look processed!

Colors are very natural.

Has the K1 simulations like Fuji Velvia for artisic abstract photos?
But the K1 is to expensive for me.
BTW, I allways buy used, so I can get the ultimate of two or three years ago.

This camera is very big...I would have to adapt to it, life is made of compromises...

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 03:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
I'm prepared to gamble the KP is good for events, especially sports. I shoot mostly high school sports which means shooting in dimly lit gyms in godforsaken locations which is where I hope the KP pays off. And don't tell me Pentax can't shoot sports because I do it frequently and I'm getting sharp results. The KP was made, if memory serves, to compete with wireless cameras and was very much in keeping with the compact size Pentax has been known for since the ME, ME Super and MX cameras. I would give a long look at the KP or even K-70, which shares some KP features.
Hi LXNights
Those KP and K70 are probably suited for my demands and possibilities. I will take a closer look. Thank you!
I can see that Pentax has "affordable" cameras with 24MP, since a few years ago.
I can find those cameras, used in good shape, for 500, 600 euros. Not bad. 700, 800 with zoom. In France.
I can even see it and try it before to buy.

I can use my lens on it, with adapters.

Last edited by Francisco Carneiro; 11-29-2018 at 02:34 AM.
11-29-2018, 03:59 AM   #15
Lev
Veteran Member

Recently I've been playing with X-T2 and I have to say it is very nice camera, you instantly feel advanced technologies, autofocus functions for example are insane if you ask me, but it's not so well built like K3 series. As mikesbike mentioned, it has full stop dial which I don't really like, no IBIS. But most important thing which stopped me go farther with Fuji system is that there will be no full frame body in nearest future or maybe Fuji will never produce FF and buying Fuji lenses automatically means that you are staying with aps-c in this system.