Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5IIs or K-1 in crop mode for indoor shoot

I'll be touring some architecturally significant historical buildings over the weekend. The last time I toured one of the buildings, over 10 years ago, I had my K10D and a Sigma 20mm f1.8 as my kit on the tour. I tried to keep the K10D at 1600 or less and shoot at around f/4 for maximum depth of field.

My kit today is a lot deeper, but my widest lenses are APS-C lenses. My widest full frame is the excellent FA* 24mm f/2, which back in the days of film was considered a wide angle lens. Having used APS-C 8mm, 10-20 and 12-18 lenses for many years since then I've sort of fallen into line with the masses that 24mm is wide normal.

So, I'm planning to mostly use wider angles on these tours. I'm leaning towards the Samyang 8mm fisheye. I really don't think you can go too wide on interiors. I may bring the 12-24 or the DA 15mm with me just in case.

I'm leaning towards the K-5IIs vs the K-1 in crop mode because on wide angles I'm not a fan of the way the perimeter doesn't fully black out outside the APS-C crop box. I don't find it quite as annoying on normal or Tele lenses but I don't like it on wide angles. However, if the I thought I'd bring home significantly better images on the K-1 I'd probably deal with it.

What advantages does the K-1 have in crop mode over the K-5IIs?

11-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 in square crop works very well with the DA 15. You can't get that effect without cropping away part of the k-5 images. Of course you may not like square crops.
11-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
What advantages does the K-1 have in crop mode over the K-5IIs?

Sensor wise, the IQ's pretty much identical, MV, you shouldn't notice the 1Mp or so difference.

The K-1 body itself will move the sensor five ways for stabilizing handheld shots, supports electronic shutter on a tripod to reduce shock and pixel shift.

Both do composition adjustment so you'll be able to get away a bit with tilting the camera up to a building.
11-29-2018, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I'm fairly certain I will not have any opportunities to use a tripod. I was considering trying to get a monopod in, but being government buildings I'm fairly certain a carbon fiber mace would be off limits.

So likely I won't be able to use Pixel shift (unless it's hand-held, which I understand is not recommended).

I did consider the improved SR. That's standing out as the biggest improvement on the K-1 vs the K-5IIs.

---------- Post added 11-30-2018 at 04:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sensor wise, the IQ's pretty much identical, MV, you shouldn't notice the 1Mp or so difference.

The K-1 body itself will move the sensor five ways for stabilizing handheld shots, supports electronic shutter on a tripod to reduce shock and pixel shift.

Both do composition adjustment so you'll be able to get away a bit with tilting the camera up to a building.
Also in my arsenal of lenses is a 35mm tilt and shift lens. If I could use a tripod I'd certainly get the most out of the K-1.

Btw, the reason I never upgraded to the K-3II over the K-5IIs is I use composition adjust all the time and pentax removed the RAW/FX quick menu option of composition adjust from the K-3II. The IQ on the K-5IIs is good enough that little stuff like that kept me from upgrading.

11-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Mountain Vision

Why not use the lenses you have on the K 1 in ff mode and crop when you get home ?
The 12-24 works from about 17 or so I heard.

Dave
11-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K-1 in square crop works very well with the DA 15. You can't get that effect without cropping away part of the k-5 images. Of course you may not like square crops.
I'm definitely going to play around with this and the DA 15. Thanks for the tip.

---------- Post added 11-30-2018 at 05:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Mountain Vision

Why not use the lenses you have on the K 1 in ff mode and crop when you get home ?
The 12-24 works from about 17 or so I heard.

Dave
Mainly because I'm not a big fan of guessing what I have. I like knowing that I got the shot when I take it, and it seems like shooting in full frame and just cropping off in post leaves a lot to chance.

The other aspect is that my 8mm lens is APS format but that gives me a 12mm FOV. Which is still considerably wider than the DA 12-24 in FF mode at 17.

At some point I do plan to get a wider angle full frame lens, but I'm not in love with the size/weight and filter options on the FA 15-30. the 15mm Irix seems to be a little wider than I'd ideally like in a prime, making it a little more specialized than I'd like.
11-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
dbs
Pentaxian

You preview your shots don't you
I cannot see a problem

Dave

12-03-2018, 02:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the tour(s) changed quite a bit in the in the years since we first went on one. Unfortunately, now, not only do you have a tour guide and a group of fellow tourists, but you have a security guard chaperone as well. Overall it made getting many good shots difficult (there was no straggling behind to get one more shot). In fact, going as wide as I started was a major mistake due to the people on the tour always being in my frame. The 12-24 was wide enough for most shots. I did want/need/use the 8mm Rokinon in a couple of spots, where it was the lens for the shot. And one shot it basically worked how I envisioned it.

I'll post some photos of the day to this thread once I upload them to Flickr.

12-06-2018, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the advice. here are some shots from the day. I've got a few more to upload still. I just acquired an Irix 15mm which would probably have been wide enough to use the K-1 for all but the fisheye shot of the day. As I noted the spaces to shoot were definitely bigger than I remembered and 15-20mm (in 35mm equiv) was probably adequate.

State of New York Education Building
by Justin, on Flickr

by Justin, on Flickr

Cheesecake Machismo
by Justin, on Flickr

Cheesecake Machismo: The Goods
by Justin, on Flickr

by Justin, on Flickr