Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2018, 10:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Deciding to buy a Pentax K1

Hi,

I am a photography enthusiast, more on the lines of physical optics.
Have got several used and new entry to mid-range cameras (film and APSC-DSLRs).

I joined the forum before making a K1 purchase and almost very convinced to buy Pentax K1 and its value for money.

Following are the things that impressed me.
1. Inclusion of 5 axis stabilization system in camera over dependencies on lens manufacturer's stabilization system-Brilliant idea.
2. Anti-alias filters corrections, diffraction corrections algorithms-Another great idea.
3. Simple light to load lens (I wish the dial controls had a fluorescent shade-comes handy in astrophotography).
4. Full color pixel shift corrections for RGB
5. Astrotracker
6. Compatibility to older glass lenses- very environmentally friendly!
7. Rugged design.
8. APS-C option.
There were a couple of draw-backs or not so great features in other forums like WiFi, less videographic features and lower fps. Only lower fps would be of concern for sports shooting, the rest does not matter much to me.
The price range is also very attractive.

I personally have found Sony CMOS very good but Pentax CMOS is already at a pro-level with K1 and K3's and for an amateur like me.
I hope I made a right decision. Further, one of my missions is to use old heavy lenses and shoot in manual modes as far as possible. I think there is a good optical system available and with tools like adobe/ lightroom/ darktable, the rest can be accomplished.

This camera might be contributing to a lot of learning and advance photography skills.

This forum has a lot of experienced photographers, I would like to hear from them on my observations.

Glad to be in pentaxforums.

12-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,837
sounds like you can have a good tool from K-1. lot to explore. It is not speed devil, but for landscapes, portraits, family, travel and things like that it is great. astrotracer is nice, and SR is effective.
even that video is usable when you use tripod and turn off SR and use muted color. bring that colour back in post.

I’v enjoyed my K-1 from beginning, and still am. Hope that you enjoy yours
12-01-2018, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,586
Welcome to the forum, and to the Pentax eco-system. You've done the research and have got some strong plus points for the K1. I don't think there will be any argument over those, so long as you see the full frame format as right for you. There's a whole world of great lenses out there for you to discover, and we are lucky that mostly our individual budgets and financial limitations can be catered to.

Most of us here place a strong value on the ergonomic and usability strengths of the top line Pentax DSLRs, such as direct physical controls and customisation options ..... The K1 is the latest and greatest example of these inherent strengths.

Just to add one personal example of how the "eco system" works for me and my individual budget (ie nearly zero now!) ..... I get my macro type shots by combining a 1970s manual aperture 135mm lens with fully manual extension tubes, using stop down metering, plus a modern radio remote controlled flash system .... And it all works seamlessly with my Pentax DSLR (including shake reduction if needed) ...…

Here's an example taken with exactly that combination of old and new equipment …. and this is with the 9 year old K7 aps-c camera! (so you should be fine with a K1






Here's the camera, flash trigger, tubes and lens altogether.... Pentax truly does bring amazing versatility to us for creative photography on a budget!



Last edited by mcgregni; 12-01-2018 at 07:19 AM.
12-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 123
I really like my K1 and the K3 & K50 as well. The K1 is a very versatile and customizable tool. With five custom user modes its like having five cameras. As far as video goes, I don't understand why I'd buy a still camera for video, just me I guess. I have video cameras for that purpose. I particularly like being able to switch from full frame to crop at the flick of a dial. Welcome to the forum, Enjoy.

12-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 41
Speaking as a novice, the K1 mkii is a very easy camera to use. Thought was put into the external controls for SS, ISO and Aperture. It is easy to use because it was designed that way. I have been shooting in “manual” with all manual lenses. I just bought a 70 to 200 zoom for $60 cdn. I have been busy shooting landscape and have not even gotten to astrophotography which is the reason I bought the camera in the first place. You will love it!!

Mike
12-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Des Moines IA, USA
Posts: 14
I have also been looking into the K-1 to experience full frame photography. But now the Mark II version with its upgrades seems like a better choice. The price point is still a little high, but in the long run may be worth it.
Enjoy your new camera!
12-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
The K-1 is, in my opinion, a pro level camera, and the control lay-out was designed by photographers.

A couple of points you make as drawbacks on the K-1; WiFi, what purpose do you have for it?

WiFi will never be as fast as cord or placing the SD card into the computer for photo transfer. I use the WiFi with my iPhone 7 for remote shooting, I see on my phone the shot before I take it. Search the forums here, Adam has a great WiFi control program.

FPS yes, the K-1 doesn’t have the FPS of some other cameras, especially when compared to 20 or 24 mpx sensors, but if burst shooting is necessary, shooting jpg will up that number and the out of camera jpg is very good.

Personally, even when shooting sports, I’ve not hit the limit with any of my Pentax cameras.

Enjoy the K-1, it’ll give you many years of great service. And I think it’s the best camera, bar none, when it comes to shooting with vintage manual glass!
12-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,767
If you do Astro pictures or indeed any shooting that utilises a tripod, the K1 has a fantastic feature not yet mentioned in this thread.

The articulating LCD screen. Whether your camera is above your eye level or below you can tilt the screen in all directions so you don't get a sore neck trying to frame or focus your image. This is a very, very useful feature.

12-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,837
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The K-1 is, in my opinion, a pro level camera, and the control lay-out was designed by photographers.

A couple of points you make as drawbacks on the K-1; WiFi, what purpose do you have for it?

WiFi will never be as fast as cord or placing the SD card into the computer for photo transfer. I use the WiFi with my iPhone 7 for remote shooting, I see on my phone the shot before I take it. Search the forums here, Adam has a great WiFi control program.

FPS yes, the K-1 doesn’t have the FPS of some other cameras, especially when compared to 20 or 24 mpx sensors, but if burst shooting is necessary, shooting jpg will up that number and the out of camera jpg is very good.

Personally, even when shooting sports, I’ve not hit the limit with any of my Pentax cameras.

Enjoy the K-1, it’ll give you many years of great service. And I think it’s the best camera, bar none, when it comes to shooting with vintage manual glass!
I actually use WiFi to trigger my K-1 sometimes to get selfie/my self with family or so, and I can get the focus right too, IF I have AF lens on that thing. It works well for that.
12-01-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,393
Sounds like the K-1 is a good fit for you (as it is for me)!
I'm certainly loving mine and no regrets. My list of perceived features were similar to yours and while they are real, the top things I now really like about the K-1:
* Fantastic sensor gives me more capability to crop (resolution) and correct images PP (great dynamic range).
* Great ergonomics - camera fits my hand like glove (once you get used to the positions of the controls). Makes it a pleasure to use.
* Relative to other brands - Pentax hyper program mode is great. For walk around photography love being able jump between program, fixed aperture, fixed shutter speed - all without changing the mode dial (or even taking your eye of the subject).
* GPS. Surprise to me was how useful it is to have coordinates where the image was shot. I now mostly leave my GPS on.
* Legendary backward lens compatibility. I'm still enjoying the occasional use of my older Pentax glass. I have 40 year old lenses that still have qualities I like the look of. And SR works with them too!

The features I thought I would use but rarely do:
* Anti-aliasing. So far I have not used it.
* Crop mode. I now just leave it in FF and crop later as needed (often "crop lenses" cover more than crop frame anyway).
* Pixel shift. Yes I like having the capability but in my use (landscapes) I rarely use it (as the scenes are rarely static enough).

Only thing I miss (a little bit) is not having a built in flash. Although built in flashes are not very good anyway, they can be useful for the occasional bit of fill flash. I have a separate flash but usually don't cart it around everywhere.
Also camera weight is a bit of double edged sword. It does make my kit heavier to carry around but on the other hand I find it helps steady and balance the camera - especially with bigger lenses.

Enjoy!
12-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,543
Pentax does make a very compact hot shoe flash that has WR construction, and it has tilt for bounce flash, and even a downward tilt for closeup work as well. It is modestly priced. It is more powerful than a built-in flash, yet so small as to be nearly as convenient.

To anyone having the K-1, I can recommend two special prime lenses in particular. Both are "old:" lenses, but still available new. The FA 35mm f/2 (priced at a very good value and lightweight but well-built), and/or if wanting to go somewhat wider and with top build and imaging quality, the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited. They are particularly special because they have no equivalency in the realm of APS-C. Both offer fine edge-to-edge performance, even wide open, which is quite rare. On a FF body, both offer a wide angle that is not extra-wide, and thus being very versatile as all-around prime lenses. Photographers desiring a prime for all-around carrying, used to choose either one of 35mm or one of 28mm for their 35mm film bodies. The FA 31mm Limited is a fast prime placed between these two choices in a top-quality lens that is wonderfully built, yet modest in size and weight for its FL and speed.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-01-2018 at 02:23 PM.
12-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
As mentioned above, the FPS of the K1 is a lower number than other camera's, I shoot fast military jets at low level and don't have a problem with it, in my view its all down to timing and technique, I get 8 or 10 shots of what I'm after the in short bursts of 3 or 4 images and pick the best one from those.There are Canikon photographers shooting at the same time and you'll hear 20 or 30 frames in the same duration when I've done 10, there cant be that much difference between the images and all it adds up to is more time spent in-front of a screen deleting the shots.
12-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,837
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
As mentioned above, the FPS of the K1 is a lower number than other camera's, I shoot fast military jets at low level and don't have a problem with it, in my view its all down to timing and technique, I get 8 or 10 shots of what I'm after the in short bursts of 3 or 4 images and pick the best one from those.There are Canikon photographers shooting at the same time and you'll hear 20 or 30 frames in the same duration when I've done 10, there cant be that much difference between the images and all it adds up to is more time spent in-front of a screen deleting the shots.
have been shooting rally, and might be that I misses some ofthe shots, but that was not because of camera, mostly because of my technique. and even with my bursts -similar to yours- I was sitting long time to go through ALL of those shots, thinkin that next time I just try to get couple and get it done with those. but my living was not up to If I did get ’that’ shot with it. There are some pro shooters doing slow bursts and trying to catch the moment, because those shots sell. Ifyou trust the burst it might still be in between clicks, even fast burst ’that shot’. But what ever makes you happy
12-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Welcome to the forum, and to the Pentax eco-system. You've done the research and have got some strong plus points for the K1. I don't think there will be any argument over those, so long as you see the full frame format as right for you. There's a whole world of great lenses out there for you to discover, and we are lucky that mostly our individual budgets and financial limitations can be catered to.

Most of us here place a strong value on the ergonomic and usability strengths of the top line Pentax DSLRs, such as direct physical controls and customisation options ..... The K1 is the latest and greatest example of these inherent strengths.

Just to add one personal example of how the "eco system" works for me and my individual budget (ie nearly zero now!) ..... I get my macro type shots by combining a 1970s manual aperture 135mm lens with fully manual extension tubes, using stop down metering, plus a modern radio remote controlled flash system .... And it all works seamlessly with my Pentax DSLR (including shake reduction if needed) ...…

Here's an example taken with exactly that combination of old and new equipment …. and this is with the 9 year old K7 aps-c camera! (so you should be fine with a K1






Here's the camera, flash trigger, tubes and lens altogether.... Pentax truly does bring amazing versatility to us for creative photography on a budget!

This is super cool. It is precisely applicable to the type of things I would want to do with old glass. Great pictures.
12-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,586
Thanks, and it was just to demonstrate some of the versatility and possibilities within the Pentax "eco-system". Of course, if I had more funds to spare then I'd be getting a D FA100mm macro, plus a D FA70-200 zoom ..... but that old Tamron 135mm f2.8 was picked up for £49 plus the set of Jessops tubes for £10, and for the money its a great value way to good quality images. The fact that I can control it all, including ambient metering and operate a Radio manual controlled flash system, all from my Pentax DSLR with ease, is a great testament to the value the system offers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cmos, corrections, dslr, features, fps, k1, lens, lenses, lot, optics, pentax, photography, rest, value
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K1 Kit - Pentax K1, Sigma ART 35mm F1.4, and Pentax 77mm F1.8 Jerry_Lundegaad Sold Items 14 11-13-2018 03:10 PM
Need assistance deciding between 2 lenses Bethor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 07-12-2018 01:02 PM
Need help on deciding which M42 body to buy boydmain Pentax Film SLR Discussion 24 07-02-2017 10:59 PM
help on deciding between UWA's no694terry Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 04-02-2017 03:11 AM
Deciding on new Primary Lens [Pentax 16-85 vs Sigma 17-50 vs Tamron 17-50] Marcus_H Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 12-31-2016 07:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top