Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D question about AE lock

Hi everyone
I'm loving my new slr. I've had a few weeks and am still learning
what I can do with all the creative control I have access to on this.
I've been playing around with macro and flash sync. It allows all the manual control I want.
However, I've been trying to learn how to make it a little simpler than complete manual. It would seem that one could set the camera to pick settings based on no flash even when using flash. Say for intstance, you have a situation where an exposure of 1/60 is what is right without the flash. So then you want the flash to fire too, but keep the exposure to 1/60.
If I set the flash to manual and pop it up, the camera automatically changes the shutter speed to something shorter. I've even tried setting AE lock. The AE lock will indicate it's on, but when I pop up the flash, it still indicates the exposure has changed to something shorter. What am I doing wrong? If you want to use fill flash, isn't this what you want? To hold the exposure and add flash rather than assuming flash is you're only light source, so to speak?
At first I thought maybe the number I was seeing was not shutter speed, but flash time. However, on experimentation I determined this was not the case.
When I pop the flash, it will consistently underexpose the distant backdrop, unless I go to full manual mode and dial in the no flash settings.
Seems like there would be a setting in the custom menu to make
AE lock work even with flash, or to tell the camera to meter without factoring in flash.

10-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm also annoyed by the same thing. In cases like this I turn the flash oof and use AE lock in manual mode, then I popup or turn on the flash and it fills the necessary light. So far I haven't find any other way to do that. I often also manually dial aperture and time.
10-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will ahve to use Tv or M exposure mode, and set the desired shutterspeed (in M also set the desired aperture).
10-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input Gents. So sounds like this is a case of the
firmware jocks not thinking of this situation.
I suppose photography is so complex it's hard to read the user's mind. (I'm a firmware jock myself )
Well maybe some day they will correct this. Or maybe someone will
have source code and I can just do it myself.

Anyway - I've been working on moon shots the last couple nights, since the full moon. I hope to have a good one to upload tomorrow.
Again - this camera is sooooo much better than the Nikon 5700
I just unloaded on ebay!
I was concerned that the art of photograpy was history with that camera - my first foray into digital (actually they should call it electronic, since it's not digital). I'm so glad to realize it's all about the same things that it was in 35mm. Best of both worlds with this
camera. Instant gratification + creative freedom. This world can make anyone a better photographer much quicker and much more
economically. I would have been too cheap to do this sort of playing at film + development costs, and the time lag doesn't reinforce lessons near as well with film.