Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How useful is aperture bracketing?

I sometimes wish the K1 had aperture bracketing. It seems to me that it would be very useful for portraits and the like. But how useful is it really? It is a feature of the KP which I don't own so I would like to hear the opinions of KP owners on this feature. Do you use it, and in which circumstances?

12-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

I'll bracket apertures when I'm macro-photographing flowers especially, so's I can be reasonably certain I've got "just" the depth of field I want with no blurred edges but not too much detail in the background ... but I do it manually, simply out of habit, it's the way I've worked ever since before I had TTL metering I'm not even sure if any of my current bodies have the ability to do it automatically!
12-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I sometimes wish the K1 had aperture bracketing. It seems to me that it would be very useful for portraits and the like. But how useful is it really? It is a feature of the KP which I don't own so I would like to hear the opinions of KP owners on this feature. Do you use it, and in which circumstances?
I don't own a KP, so I hope you don't mind me replying...

I'd love to have aperture bracketing. I can live without it, but it would be a real nice-to-have - especially for portraiture when out and about. Even with DOF preview, I sometimes find it difficult to judge how much background and foreground blur there'll be with faster aperture shots. Does f/2.8 give me what I need? Or would f/4 be better? Perhaps even faster than f/2.8 might work... In this situation and others like it, I can see real practical use for aperture bracketing.
12-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It is absolutely a useful feature. I do shoot with the KP. Funny, we were just talking about features of the KP in another thread, "The end of the DSLR", regarding the Fuji mirrorless offerings. I think this feature is a very good time-saver. It is a matter of taking your shots, reviewing them briefly, then moving on and checking the DOF aspect later to choose which to keep. Some designer had a good idea here!

12-03-2018, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All in all I'd rather have focus stacking.
12-04-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Ditto! I am so hoping this will be a feature on the next aps c flagship.
12-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe this " auto bracketing " or something similar was also available on the K3 series and K 5 series

wonder why it was dropped

post edited

I was wrong

again

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-04-2018 at 07:51 AM.
12-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I believe this " auto bracketing " or something similar was also available on the K3 series and K 5 series

wonder why it was dropped
Aperture bracketing isn't available on the K-5 or K-3 series, Allen. I believe the KP was the first model to offer it.

12-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Aperture bracketing isn't available on the K-5 or K-3 series, Allen. I believe the KP was the first model to offer it.
thanks

I am easily confused

and always looking for knowledge

what is this ?

" Auto bracketing
2, 3 or 5 frames, one-push bracketing "

Read more at: Pentax K-3 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
12-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thanks

I am easily confused

and always looking for knowledge

what is this ?

Auto bracketing
2, 3 or 5 frames, one-push bracketing

Read more at: Pentax K-3 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
That's traditional exposure bracketing, where the camera adjusts shutter speed to produce multiple frames with different exposure levels. It's a common feature, found on all but the most basic cameras.

With aperture bracketing, the camera adjusts the aperture and shutter speed to produce multiple frames at the same exposure level, but with different depth of field.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-04-2018 at 09:39 AM.
12-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That's traditional exposure bracketing, where the camera adjusts shutter speed to produce multiple frames with different exposure levels. It's a common feature, found on all but the most basic cameras.

With aperture bracketing, the camera adjusts the aperture and shutter speed to produce multiple frames at the same exposure level, but with different depth of field.
gotcha

thanks once again

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-04-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Updated quoted post
12-04-2018, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If only there was some sort of manual mode that made it possible to adjust aperture and shutter speed according to the law of reciprocity, so that you could bracket aperture when you wanted to. Perhaps it could be controlled by a couple of dials on the front and back of a DSLR. They could even call it "Manual".
12-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
I'd say both would be the best idea. I've never used a focus stacking feature, but DOF concerns do come up, and much more often under certain given types of photography, like macro, or portrait- how blurred do I really want that background to be??
12-06-2018, 03:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

will aperture bracketing work if the camera is set in aperture priority?
12-06-2018, 04:02 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sapper Quote
will aperture bracketing work if the camera is set in aperture priority?
I don't know, I'm afraid... I have the K-3 and K-3II, neither of which has the aperture bracketing feature. Hopefully a KP owner will step in and offer an answer...