Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replacing my k5iis - need input on upgrading or replacing

Hi all.....I have a k5iis - and I've loved this camera from day one. Recently, the shutter started giving me a hard time - it just doesn't "click" at times. I've called around about repair and have been told it's not worth repairing.

I have several options:
1) Replace it with another k5iis
2) Move to mirrorless
3) Upgrade to a newer model within the Pentax family

I need assistance on 2 & 3 please....

For #2 - I have been tossing around moving to a mirrorless (sony a7ii)....but I have a lot of pentax lenses, and if I'm understanding things correctly, I won't be able to use auto focus with the sony mirrorless. I don't know if I want to give that up completely.

For #3 - I have a budget. I'd LOVE to run out and grab a K1, but it's way more than I can afford right now. So my question for upgrading is this: what cameras came out AFTER the K5iis? And of those cameras, which are better than the K5iis? (Budget is $600-800, so used is probably what I'm looking at)

12-07-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mishmatta Quote
Hi all.....I have a k5iis - and I've loved this camera from day one. Recently, the shutter started giving me a hard time - it just doesn't "click" at times. I've called around about repair and have been told it's not worth repairing.

I have several options:
2) Move to mirrorless

For #2 - I have been tossing around moving to a mirrorless (sony a7ii)....but I have a lot of pentax lenses, and if I'm understanding things correctly, I won't be able to use auto focus with the sony mirrorless. I don't know if I want to give that up completely.

For #3 - I have a budget. I'd LOVE to run out and grab a K1, but it's way more than I can afford right now. So my question for upgrading is this: what cameras came out AFTER the K5iis? And of those cameras, which are better than the K5iis? (Budget is $600-800, so used is probably what I'm looking at)
K3 came next ... high ISO performance not as good as the K5/K5II/K5IIs (no matter what others might say about this).
I do own a K5, K7 and a K3 ... using the K3 for wildlife/birding but I prefer the low light rendering of the K5, so I assume the K5IIs would be just as good.
The KP seems to be a great alternative ... price is right at the moment with ongoing sales.

Mirrorless ... I have a "back up" small Fuji XE-2 ... it's OK but I still prefer the DSLR's (menus, viewfinder ...)

So ... If I were in your shoes I would give the KP a go.
12-07-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a k-5II and a K-3II. In terms of image quality I'd choose the K-5II over the K-3II. If you're an image quality person, then go for the KP. I don't think you'll regret it.
12-07-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

I took advantage of the recent sale on the KP. Only $685. I loved my K5 which I got 5 yrs ago and still do, but the KP is maybe the perfect “interim” camera. It’s almost as small as a mirrorless, too. I’m reconsidering whether to ever bother with a FF.

Hi all.....I have a k5iis - and I've loved this camera from day one. Recently, the
shutter started giving me a hard time - it just doesn't "click" at times. I've called around about repair and have been told it's not worth repairing.

I have several options:
2) Move to mirrorless

12-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 before and move to a KP, simply one word , Wow.
12-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I also moved from 5Kiis to KP and it was an bigger upgrade than I expected. Though to me K5iis was more comfortable to hold. And if you look around you might get a good deal on used K-1.
12-08-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I moved from a K-5 to a K-70. Apart from the obvious improvements expected from upgrading to 24Mpixel I would point out that the K-70 is rather more "compact" and with larger hands it can be difficult to hold without pressing buttons unintentionally, though some workarounds are available. The KP is just that little bit bigger, but at twice the price (when I bought mine) I couldn't justify the extra. I'd "try before you buy", if at all possible, especially if you use longer lenses for action/wildlife photography.

As for mirrorless, I've got one I use simply as a mount for some old r/f lenses I've got. I've tried others and my conclusion has always been the same - "How do you cope with that electronic viewfinder on a moving subject !?" When fitted with a suitable (usually expensive) autofocus lens, the mirrorless viewfinder options are very fine for composing on a reasonably static subject, but trying to cope with a moving target with a flickering viewfinder image I find really difficult!

Just my experiences and opinions ... YMMV - Good luck

12-08-2018, 02:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Used k-1 can be had for around 850-900 if you happen upon a deal. $1000 is getting fairly common.

I wanted to upgrade my K-5IIs because I only have one body currently. I considered the KP but wasn't happy with having to use two different batteries and the KP raw buffer is too small for my uses. The K-3/II didn't really seem like a huge IQ upgrade over the K-5IIs for me and it deleted a feature I use quite a bit. Fx button access to sensor shift fine adjustment.

12-08-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I have several options:
2) Move to mirrorless

Sony glasses are very expensive, so I would not recommend it if you do not have a large budget or require autofocus with your existing lenses.

Kp maybe the most sensible if you buy new, but I have seen used K1 for $1000 if you can stretch your budget a bit and don’t mind the weight.
12-08-2018, 03:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have several options:
2) Move to mirrorless

Depends.
Have you used the mirrorless cameras? Tho some find them perfect for their needs, i just can't get used to EVF. Try it before buying it.
Pentax KP is just a tiny bit north of $800
12-08-2018, 04:17 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from a K 5 II to a K 3 and now I have the K 3 II as well

I like them

be sure to check out what might be available through the forum's market place, - I have had good experiences buying " experienced equipment " from forum members

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

good luck
12-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass Review - Adapting Pentax Glass on the Sony Alpha 7 | PentaxForums.com Reviews

All this applies to the a7II or later.
12-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . So my question for upgrading is this: what cameras came out AFTER the K5iis? And of those cameras, which are better than the K5iis? (Budget is $600-800, so used is probably what I'm looking at)
just read the OP's questions more carefully

if I am not mistaken, the listing of the Pentax K cameras in the review section shows what was created latest:

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

ASP-C only

KP

K-70

K-3II

K-S2

K-S1

K-3

K-500

K-50

K-5 II

and of course, there is a tool to compare each camera body

you can compare up to 4 in one chart:

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-08-2018 at 09:10 AM.
12-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you so much everybody - you have helped me tremendously!
12-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Mirrorless APS-C is compact, but compared with what you are used to with the very fine controls of the K-5 IIs, you will find any I have looked at to be less responsive. Mirrorless FF is no better. I have a K-5 IIs in perfect condition, gotten new as closeout model at a great price. I am wondering if you got yours new or used, and what the shutter actuation count might be. If it is high, there's no gain in repair. The KP's controls are not quite as good as the K-5 IIs, as there is some compromise there to reduce size. I have the KP as well. The KP's controls are still outstanding, and far better than those of mirrorless models, and even much better than "entry-level" Pentax models such as the K-70. I also have the K-70's predecessor, the K-S2, which has a similar design.

Highly recommended as a top-performing, premium-built compact DSLR, the KP is hard to beat. It has flexibility galore in the supplied grips, and even more with the optional battery grip, with which there is yet more gripping surface and an enormous gain in battery life, at a cost in compactness, but only at about the same weight as a K-3 II alone.

Like the other poster above, the exceptional low light/ higher ISO performance and excellent resolution of the KP has had me reconsider adding a FF body.

I still like my K-5 IIs, it is no slouch. I still use it when I especially need its faster on-body controls, and with certain lenses. For example, the KP omits the power zoom contacts, and I do have a couple of the better old power zoom lenses. I also use it when I rarely will be doing some burst shooting, since it has a much deeper buffer, and with its lower file sizes, faster writing and clearing. So if you bought your K-5 IIs used, and/or for whatever reason it has a high shutter actuation count, you could search for a lightly-used K-5 IIs in perfect shape with a low count. Otherwise, the KP will be a fine upgrade, although it will take a bit of getting used to as a compact model. You could perhaps bide your time for the next special price run, which has happened from time to time.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-09-2018 at 07:50 PM.