Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
. . . I am wondering if you got yours new or used, and what the shutter actuation count might be. If it is high, there's no gain in repair. . . .
just in case any one is curious on how to check shutter count and manufacture date

Use this tool to check your camera's shutter count and find out when the camera was manufactured. Note that if you upload an image that has been processed by Photoshop, etc., it might not be usable as some of its EXIF data could have been stripped. To proceed, simply upload an unedited JPEG photo taken with your camera using the form below! Your files are not stored on our server after the EXIF data is read.

Read more at: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

12-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did check my count, it's 47569. I see that the k5iis shutter life is about 100000.

I am thinking from everyone's reply that saving for the k1 may be the way to go. upgrading to a kp or k3iis has many disadvantages over my current k5iis. If I were keeping the k5iis, I may consider it. But since I'm having problems, it may be better to make the upgrade "count".

Mirrorless may not be the way to go right now since I don't have an endless supply of cash. My goal was to use my current pentax lenses with a mirrorless, with an adapter. But from what I've been reading, it's slow, and I would compromise quality as well as speed.
12-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP may or may not have seen this:

Pentax K-1 Review

Advantages of Full Frame

As the first full-frame DSLR from Pentax, the K-1 opens up new opportunities for current users of the Pentax K-mount system or other crop systems.

The primary advantage of the full-frame format is superior image quality. Compared to an APS-C body such as the Pentax K-3 or K-5, the K-1 boasts more than twice the sensor area, at roughly 864 square millimeters, compared to 384.

Without getting overly technical, the larger sensor size enables higher resolutions, improved dynamic range, more accurate colors, and better performance in low light or at high sensitivity settings. This can primarily be attributed to larger pixel pitch, as bigger photo sites are able to pick up more light.
Secondary advantages of the full frame format include a more sizable optical viewfinder, shallower depth of field, less diffraction, and easier access to lenses with wider angles of view.

Here's a simple example in which the Pentax K-1 pulls ahead of the K-3. This photo was taken at ISO 25,600 and scaled from full resolution: . . .

Of course, everything comes with its trade-offs: full-frame lenses are often bigger, heavier, and more expensive than crop lenses, as are the cameras. This is especially true of telephoto lenses, and thus many photographers prefer APS-C for their telephoto needs.

Whether or not the full-frame format is right for you will depend on your budget and your needs with respect to image quality. Regardless, one thing is for sure: you won't find a K-mount DSLR in the current lineup with better overall performance than the K-1. And that's just the sensor speaking; there's much, much more to the K-1. . . .

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Advantages of Full Frame | PentaxForums.com Reviews
12-09-2018, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

If I were to acquire a K-1, in my way of thinking and shooting, I would not want to be without an APS-C counterpart, even tough the K-1 can switch to APS-C crop mode, which is a wonderful convenience negating the need to always carry two cameras. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, one issue being weight and size. But this depends on what shooting interests one has. If the main interest is in the wide to mid-tele realm, such as a combo of landscape, portrait, architecture, and the like, and portability is not involved in such as a lot of hiking or bicycling, the K-1 will certainly meet those needs very well. When going to location by car, weight can be a secondary consideration.

As to resolution, there is at least as much to be had with a 24mp APS-C model, which has great pixel density. The K-70, and especially the KP, have definitely narrowed the gap in terms of low noise and high resolution retention at higher ISO levels. I am curious as to the "many disadvantages" the KP or the K-3 II might have compared to the K-5 IIs. The K-5 IIs has been shown to have slightly better dynamic range than the K-3 series, as well as slightly better higher ISO performance. But neither is true of the KP. If you do burst shooting of fast-action subject matter, you might be best off to patiently look for that lightly-used K-5 IIs, since the K-1 is not exactly a monster for such use either. I do not blame you one bit for liking the K-5 IIs so much. It is still a very fine camera. From what I've seen, I like its controls better than those of the K-3 series. There is, however, a forthcoming K-3 II replacement in the offing, which might come pretty soon.

As to the K-1, the Pentax selection of FF lenses include some very fine ones, whether current designs or legacy. In some cases, FF is the only way to go to make maximum use of certain lenses. The FA 35mm f/2, the DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6, as well as the FA 43mm f/1.9 come to mind. There are no APS-C counterparts to these two prime lenses.

OTOH, there are certain APS-C lenses that are also outstanding. The DA 12-24mm f/4 is a wonderful wide angle zoom lens with great edge-to-edge performance. The DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is an outstanding tele zoom lens for APS-C, and amazingly compact for what it can do. It delivers images comparable to having a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens on a FF body, and the DA* 200mm f/2.8 (which is really a FF lens) is similar to a 300mm f/2.8 on FF, at a fraction of the size and weight in both cases, and at much lower cost. The DA Limited series of primes are also little jewels of excellence.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-10-2018 at 12:30 PM.
12-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I have a K-5 before and move to a KP, simply one word , Wow.
Do you do any long lens(es) shots with this KP ?
I'm interested to know so I would get the KP instead of waiting (forever) for the "next APS-C flagship.
12-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Do you do any long lens(es) shots with this KP ?
I'm interested to know so I would get the KP instead of waiting (forever) for the "next APS-C flagship.
I purchased a KP and the PLM lens on the same day, this past Black Friday.
They seem to work very well together, but the only photos I've actually taken with the combination were through a window.
Peace and War - PentaxForums.com
I never try to take long bursts, so the KP's limited buffer doesn't bother me, nor does the lack of a second SD, nor the lack of a top LCD, so my use may be very different from yours.
12-11-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KP and long lens (Sigma 150-500) - (all hand held by a 70 year old)

500mm and cropped;

270mm and cropped

310mm & really heavily cropped (I wanted to see the back of his head)

The KP was new and I was just having a go to see how the combo worked.

12-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot a K3II and a K5. The K3II has more crop capacity with 24MP over 16MP. The rendering is different, but I think if you learn how to process it's not that huge in practice.

That said, the K3II replacement is eventually coming, and used K5 series are not expensive.
12-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mishmatta Quote
Hi all.....I have a k5iis - and I've loved this camera . . .
I wonder who the OP contacted regarding the cost of the repair and whether it was worth it to have it repaired

did he contact Precision Camera in Connecticut

Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

there is a link to a free estimate,

Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

when I called Precision directly

I was told that if I sent in my damaged lens I would not be charged for the estimate but only for return shipping

800-877-0155 - Monday - Friday - 8:00am - 8:00pm ET
12-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

500mm and cropped;

270mm and cropped

Very impressive shots! I knew the KP is marvelous, tops for resolution and fine imaging, from shooting with it myself, but I did not know the Sigma 150-500mm is as good as shown in your examples. I have one of those old, pretty large Sigmas- Now you've got me thinking I should haul it out! I haven't used it in a number of years!
12-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Mike.
Mine don't all turn out as good - but on a good day and when I'm feeling good...
12-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #27
Forum Member

replacing K5iiS

"Replacing my k5iis - need input on upgrading or replacing"
I bought a K5iiS when it came out (is this now 5 years ago ?). It is my primary camera, and I love it. But although it is working well, i occasionally think about my options in case it were to malfunction - and my shutter count is likely higher than the figure you cite for yours.
Others have already replied to your request for advice, so I am only echoing what was said:
the KP seems to be a heck of a camera - a superb APS-C camera by any measure - and there are great deals on new ones now at B&H and likely Adorama too; the price of used K1's may be coming down; and to check out the repair options a fellow Forum member just mentioned.

---------- Post added 12-16-2018 at 08:39 PM ----------

Someone posted the link to an interesting discussion of FF mirrorless cameras in another thread today.
I will add it here in case it helps your thinking about this.

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/08/5-killer-features-and-14-weaknesses-of-sony...rless-cameras/
12-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I wonder who the OP contacted regarding the cost of the repair and whether it was worth it to have it repaired

did he contact Precision Camera in Connecticut

Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

there is a link to a free estimate,

Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

when I called Precision directly

I was told that if I sent in my damaged lens I would not be charged for the estimate but only for return shipping

800-877-0155 - Monday - Friday - 8:00am - 8:00pm ET

Thank you so much for this!! I spoke with YM Camera in Ohio. I have used a local camera repair shop in the past, but have never been completely satisfied. I will call Precision today.

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

500mm and cropped;

270mm and cropped

Nice shots!!! I envy the 150-500 lens!! What I could do with that baby......
12-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

good luck

keep us posted on what happens if you don't mind
10-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #30

K1 would be my first vote, but if you cannot afford, then the KP gets my vote. No sense in selling off all those Pentax lenses.