Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 136 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How long are you thinking that charging removeable D-Li109, or D-Li90, would take? That is my primary issue.
I don't know. It would be convienent if it happened overnight.

12-14-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Again, isn't wireless charging works much better with for glass and glass like surfaces? And works pretty bad with fully metal bodies, such as pro grade dslrs.
Yep! Any metal between the charging pad and the charging coil inside the phone/camera will basically turn the charging pad into an induction-heating stove top -- you'll get heat and little or no charging. The case material does not have to be glass, anything that is non-conductive and non-magnetic such as plastic will do.
12-14-2018, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yep! Any metal between the charging pad and the charging coil inside the phone/camera will basically turn the charging pad into an induction-heating stove top -- you'll get heat and little or no charging. The case material does not have to be glass, anything that is non-conductive and non-magnetic such as plastic will do.
Yes. This seems to be lost on our electronics business owning friend.

Let's slow cook the sensor overnight!

Last edited by clackers; 12-14-2018 at 02:01 PM.
12-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How long are you thinking that charging removeable D-Li109, or D-Li90, would take? That is my primary issue.
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't know. It would be convienent if it happened overnight.
It would "be convenient" if it could recharge in the field when not being used - but that is not how this works. If we don't have assurance that it will happen overnight with current technology, there is absolutely no reason to consider it now.

12-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Well so much for that bad idea! Wonder what else will be on the wish list now that this one has been shot down in flames?
12-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"This seems to be lost on our electronics business owning friend."

It has not. You could have a plastic portion of the body. Lots of camera bodies are entirely plastic so a small piece is no problem.

However I also mentioned contacts. That's a cheap and easy solution, used by (I posted this at least 2x) things like portable radios...

None of the above is incompatible with the present ability to extract the battery and put in a fresh one, or charging via a cable (which in the modern age would be a USB-C connection; more sturdy than micro-USB, and reversible).
12-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

It has not. You could have a plastic portion of the body. Lots of camera bodies are entirely plastic so a small piece is no problem.

12-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

However I also mentioned contacts. That's a cheap and easy solution, used by (I posted this at least 2x) things like portable radios...

None of the above is incompatible with the present ability to extract the battery and put in a fresh one, or charging via a cable (which in the modern age would be a USB-C connection; more sturdy than micro-USB, and reversible).
This whole discussion is meaningless without knowledge of how long charging will take.
12-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #129
Pentaxian

A majority of phone users don't even use wireless charging, even in the enthusiast space. What makes you think many people even give a damn about it on a DSLR?

I agree DSLRs need better wifi transfer and USB type C levels of connection, as well as maybe some onboard flash storage.
12-14-2018, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #130
Pentaxian

I don't really understand why we need to have wireless charging, etc....for our DSLR camera batteries.

With my Pentax DSLR batteries, all I do is pop them out of the camera body or the grip, plug the charger into the electrical outlet, insert the battery into the charger and some hours later the battery is ready to go.

It's not a big deal.

Or maybe it is a big deal and I just don't have enough on the ball to realize it.

Could be, because I'm not enough of a technocrat ...perhaps I'm a Luddite...or maybe I'm just not 'with it' anymore......
12-14-2018, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
I guess I'm in the minority but I really don't care much about the tech aspect. I do like built in GPS for geotagging on the K-1. I like the Wi-Fi for pulling a few images off to upload to social media on the fly. But for the most part, removing batteries and memory cards and all that really doesn't bother me. I grew up shooting film and dumping a memory card and recharging a couple of batteries is just part of the digital process.

If people want to do photography on there phones, more power to them. You've got a very powerful and useful device that fits in your pocket and has always on connectivity. Personally, I enjoy getting away from my phone and enjoy the chance to enjoy some down time from always being connected.

---------- Post added 12-13-2018 at 07:33 AM ----------

Btw, are DSLR/MILC sales declining? It seems with all the stuff coming to market interchangeable lens cameras are doing quite well. It's the point and shoot market that is declining, I would think.
Compact camera peak sales year was 225 million units, which is now virtually zero. I think dSLR peak sales were in the low tens of millions

Smart Phones replaced compact digital cameras, not dSLR’s.
12-15-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
A majority of phone users don't even use wireless charging, even in the enthusiast space. What makes you think many people even give a damn about it on a DSLR?

I agree DSLRs need better wifi transfer and USB type C levels of connection, as well as maybe some onboard flash storage.
From a phone standpoint, I do understand the concept of wireless charging as the wired chargers seem to wear out over time -- whether you are talking lightning jacks or standard ones -- As time goes by they just wear out and you have to get a new one to keep charging your phone. But charging a battery from an SLR is quite a bit different. It doesn't have the sort of connection that will wear out as the battery just sits on the charger and I have never had a charger give out or break -- as far as I know, I am still using one that came with my K-01 six or seven years ago. I don't bother getting the new ones that come with more recent cameras out as the old one still works just fine.

My pattern when I come in from shooting is to pop a new battery in and drop the recently used battery on the charger to top it off. I always have multiple batteries charged up and honestly, it takes twenty seconds to do. I understand we live in the modern age when any extra movement is considered passe, but still, it isn't that bad.

I agree with the wifi improvements. If I am on a trip, I set the camera to record lowest quality jpegs to one card and RAW to the other card and if there are images I want to transfer to my phone, I can do it pretty quickly. Someone said something about syncing all of your photos to your phone, but there is now way that I would want to do that as having several hundred photos self populating on your phone would be a disaster to wade through and delete. Much better to choose three or four you want to post to social media and go from there. If that's all you're transferring, it doesn't take too long to do. The syncing app that someone posted here does seem to work better than Pentax's own app and I have used that.
12-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #133
Pentaxian

I don't trust wifi (it's too easy to crack).
12-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #134

I use a camera to take photographs, I was using cameras before they had wifi and batteries that required recharging every so many shots. The image is all important, wifi will not improve it, having and using a spare battery is no great chore, nor is physically uploading to a computer.

To me the argument is the same for video, if I wanted to use video I would use a camcorder, my DSLR is for still photography, if tech nerds want wifi and all the bells and whistles just stick with the 'iPhone' or the android equivalent !
12-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macabee Quote
...if tech nerds want wifi and all the bells and whistles just stick with the 'iPhone' or the android equivalent !
Tech nerds and excellent photographers aren't mutually exclusive. Just as excellent cameras with bells and whistles also exist. All recent Pentax cameras have all kinds of bells and whistles, and most of us seem pretty okay with them. Not sure why we need to draw a bright, uncross-able line at things like usable WiFi and wireless charging. Couldn't you just as well say that pixel shift and in-body shake reduction and electronic levels in the viewfinder and composition adjust and the K-1's flippy screen are silly add-ons for tech nerds?