Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 136 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #151
mee
Veteran Member

The battery can be both swappable and in-camera rechargable. It isn't a one or the other situation. It would be wonderful if we had a way to recharge the battery while it is still in the camera too.

But if it was a 'pick one' situation, I'd rather have better network services in my camera. Better WiFi connectivity and easier use phone app(s) probably first place to go.. But having a seamless way to share images directly from the camera to facebook, instagram, flickr, my fav photo print house, etc would be super!

12-29-2018, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #152
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
This sums it up perfectly. Every add on adds more complexity, shorter battery life and expense.

And for those who do need those extra features there are DLSRS that have it. The goal of having ONE device that does it all seems pointless to me. You end up making too many compromises.
Yeah, I don't think in this day and age we can be hung up about battery life. Remember when your Nokia phone seemed to only need recharging twice a year?

I was reading about one A9 user complaining to another that because of Sony's EVF, the IBIS, etc he got about four hours' usage no matter how many shots he took. That forces someone into two batteries a day, and it's a newer, bigger one, too.

12-30-2018, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #153
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF feature set

Well that’s the compromise for everything electric. OVF is pretty hard to improve on IMO, but then again I don’t find myself doing much MF work, or feel I need much focus peaking to hit the mark with my photos.

On an all-in-one camera feature set, there has to be a compromise between usable features and cost. Of course, cameras can be developed with every feature and high-end spec under the sun, but then it wouldn’t be priced well with its competitors. If Pentax is going to develop a FF camera, it would be at the K-1s price point. A second, higher-end model might be okay for top video, but then what price are people willing to pay for it?
12-30-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It would be wonderful if we had a way to recharge the battery while it is still in the camera too.
I'm nonplussed.

To time the action, I've just removed the battery from my camera (in no rush) and it took 5 seconds. Compared with the time a recharging will take, 5 seconds (plus another 5 to replace it when charged) is of no consequence. There may be words to describe an advantage here, perhaps "a very slight time saving", but it's hard to see how the word "wonderful" fits this scenario. I use "wonderful" for things like receiving Xmas presents

I recharge batteries and my phone on a window ledge. I certainly would not want to have my camera on a cradle there in case someone like my clumsy nephew manages to catch the mains lead and pull it off, or in case passers-by see an expensive camera. In fact (mindful of that nephew, and others) I would not be happy about leaving the camera out on a cradle anywhere except in a locked cupboard. You would be using the camera as a holder for battery charging - which seems bizare to me. When my camera batteries are charging tne camera itself is safely in its usual padded carry-bag.*

My phone charges in a cradle but it is much more robust - could stand a drop to the carpetted floor for example.

* I see that the wireless charging supporters have suggested external charging in addition to in-camera wireless charging - user choice. The camera makers will love that idea, because the external charging cradle will be a $150 optional extra.

12-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #155

Whenever I am out with a digital camera, I always carry at least one spare battery [fully charged] and SD card, as the very minimum usually two batteries and four SD cards.

All the best for 2019