Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
APS-H - Future?

It is quite peculiar that the new DA* lenses are good up to APS-H. Is this just so the edges are not used to provide the utmost optical quality, or maybe something APS-H is leeming around the corner, or maybe a little of both.

My feeling and this is just my guess is that it is a little of both. I would not be surprised if plans change and the planned K1D will be introduced as an APS-H (and IMO it should be an APS-H and not an APS-C for a top-end Pro camera). The DA* lenses will be good enough, the FA50, DFA100, etc. still good and even some DA lenses (DA40, DA70, DA16-45, etc.) would cover the APS-H I am sure. Im sure some wouldnt work though, those probably being the DA50-200 and my beloved DA10-17 among others.

I actually quite like the idea of APS-H - improved noise, even less DOF, a crop of 1.3x - not as huge as traditional FF, not as expensive to manufacture. Seems like a perfect trade-off right smack in the middle between APS-C and FF to me. I do think that Pentax will (again just my guess) have an APS-C, APS-H and a Medium Format camera unless of course all the other major players go FF and Pentax has to follow suit (though they could argue that they have APS-H and then if people want more then the 645D is the next logical step).

I know we cant tell and predict (just do educated guesses) but this APS-H seems quite plausible IMO. What do you all think?

Last edited by sft; 02-26-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Typos