Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by llimmj Quote
I realize that an auto focus lens will likely set me back quite a bit... does any one have any advice on a good telephoto lens to get my feet wet?
Well, if you're just looking for a good basic telephoto lens, the DA 50-200 autofocus zoom is as cheap ($200-ish) as the equivalent from the other guys, and performs at least as well too. And there are 70-300 autofocus zooms from Sigma and Tamron that are even cheaper and also perfectly good for the price. So no particular reason AF need cost you a fortune. There is also the DA 55-300, which is the next jump up in price and quality.

Of course, none of these zooms are particular "fast" (wide maximum aperture). If you want that, then yes, you will have to give up AF - and perhaps more importantly, go with a prime rather than a zoom - if you want to keep the price down. There are 100mm and 135mm lenses available used for around $100 or less with maximum aperture of around f/2.8. But unless you know you value that over AF or zoom capability, I wouldn't necessarily say these are *better* options than the others I mentioned.

09-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto to what Ash said. I have the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, and other than the purple fringing in high contrast scenes, I have no real complaints about it, and for the price they charge, it is an absolute steal. The 1:2 Macro capability is pretty nice too !!

Here are a few of my shots with the Tamron.

Here are some in the macro mode of the Tamron.

10-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Oh, that would be cool. I'm coming back to my Pentax gear after being gone for a while and I've got a 17-40 F4 and a 70-200 F4 for my Canon which would be nice to be able to continue using (would save me the hassle of selling and repurchasing Pentax equivalents).

Any recommendations?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And... as other members have mentioned before, you can even use Canon and Nikon lenses with the right adapters too...

Happy snapping.
10-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Oh, that would be cool. I'm coming back to my Pentax gear after being gone for a while and I've got a 17-40 F4 and a 70-200 F4 for my Canon which would be nice to be able to continue using (would save me the hassle of selling and repurchasing Pentax equivalents).

Any recommendations?
I am afraid that Ash is mistaken. There are adapters to put Pentax lenses on Canon Cameras, but the lens to mount distance is shorter on Canon than on Pentax, so the lens cannot be mounted. There is no way to have the Canon lens mounted to clear the mirror, even if it would fit in.

I have an on-line acquaintance in Inuktituk who has used a Nikon lens on his Pentax k10d/k20d, but used duct tape as a solution!

10-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I am afraid that Ash is mistaken.
I can confirm this- definitely no way to put a Canon lens on a Pentax (unless you take it apart and readjust the focus).

The very old Nikon lenses (non-AI) can fit on the Pentax bayonet directly with some wiggling and focus works. They will not lock in. They look really cool, too.
10-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
I can confirm this- definitely no way to put a Canon lens on a Pentax (unless you take it apart and readjust the focus).

The very old Nikon lenses (non-AI) can fit on the Pentax bayonet directly with some wiggling and focus works. They will not lock in. They look really cool, too.
Especially if you use complementary coloured duct tape to seal the mount.
10-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I think that Ash is referring to the special adapters with an additional lens element installed. This compensates for the lens referrence distance at inifinity.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And... as other members have mentioned before, you can even use Canon and Nikon lenses with the right adapters too...

Happy snapping.
10-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I think that Ash is referring to the special adapters with an additional lens element installed. This compensates for the lens referrence distance at inifinity.

Dave
I have been unable to find any such adaptor, Dave. Do you have a site where it can be done? I just checked the infamous Wikipedia, and the answer is basically "no go."

10-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I wonder, though, if such an adapter might come with enough penalties in IQ from the additional element, or reduced functionality in focusing or metering, to make it more trouble than it was worth. I don't know anything about the specific Canon lenses mentioned, but Pentax certainly makes some fine glass in those focal lengths, and it would seem that selling of the Canon lenses and buying Pentax would still make more sense.
10-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
Inactive Account

They make these "optical" adapters to adapt FD mount (Canon's manual focus mount) to their EF (autofocus) mount. BUT it degrades the quality and it acts as a 1.3 (or some small number) teleconverter. The conventional wisdom in Canon-land is that it's not worth it to buy FD lenses for an EOS DSLR.
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I seen some on ebay a while ago. I really don't think that they would have a good IQ, since they are not optomized for a specific lens. But, maybe I'm wrong. It has happen before on occasion.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have been unable to find any such adaptor, Dave. Do you have a site where it can be done? I just checked the infamous Wikipedia, and the answer is basically "no go."
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I seen some on ebay a while ago. I really don't think that they would have a good IQ, since they are not optomized for a specific lens. But, maybe I'm wrong. It has happen before on occasion.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I think perhaps you have been confused by the listings for Pentax on Canon or Canon earlier models on EOS listings. Some posters on eBay don't appear to engage their only brain cell when posting.
10-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #28
Forum Member

Another Tamron choice

It's been nearly a week since checking the posts in this forum, but over the time I've been a member, I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention the Tamron 28 - 300 mm zoom lens. I've had one for over a year now, and wonder if I'm a rarity. Frankly there have been some times I didn't thing it was a sharp as other lenses, then at other times it seemed quite good. As a guess, my discontent seems to be largely when used at zooms of from 200 to 300mm.

Most of the posters that have a Tamron zoom, seem to favor the 70 - 300mm one. Is that because of its price? Or because they have other wider angle lenses and don't need the wide range of the 28 - 300mm? Just curious.

Incidentally, I bought a couple of months ago the sharpest lens I've ever used, but it sure wasn't cheap. It's the Sigma 180mm Macro, at a cost of about $800. It will close focus to about 17 inches and is unbelievably sharp at all distances, if you let the camera (my K10D) do the autofocus. It can usually outperform my manual focusing, if there is enough contrast in the subject matter.

My 2 cents worth.

Olin
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote
It's been nearly a week since checking the posts in this forum, but over the time I've been a member, I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention the Tamron 28 - 300 mm zoom lens. I've had one for over a year now, and wonder if I'm a rarity. Frankly there have been some times I didn't thing it was a sharp as other lenses, then at other times it seemed quite good. As a guess, my discontent seems to be largely when used at zooms of from 200 to 300mm.

Most of the posters that have a Tamron zoom, seem to favor the 70 - 300mm one. Is that because of its price? Or because they have other wider angle lenses and don't need the wide range of the 28 - 300mm? Just curious.

Incidentally, I bought a couple of months ago the sharpest lens I've ever used, but it sure wasn't cheap. It's the Sigma 180mm Macro, at a cost of about $800. It will close focus to about 17 inches and is unbelievably sharp at all distances, if you let the camera (my K10D) do the autofocus. It can usually outperform my manual focusing, if there is enough contrast in the subject matter.

My 2 cents worth.

Olin
I am one of those with the 70-300. I purchased it because of its cost and because the kit I bought had the 18-55, so I didn't need the wide end. I was also of the understanding that generally, the larger the range of the lens the lesser the quality. That being said a friend of mine has the lens you have, and in comparison, I think the quality is about the same on both. We both see the degrading beyond 200 mm, although there are times it comes out great... usually the more contrast in the scene and the better lighting of the scene, the better quality the image.

I think I will eventually pick up a prime in the 150 to 200 mm range (not sure exactly what) for lower light and more difficult conditions.
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by llimmj Quote
Now, I had read that the k10d was compatible with the KAF2, KAF and KA mount lenses. Isn't the Pentax-A a KA Mount lens?
Joe,

You may like to have a look at Pentax Lenses Explained and The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart - the latter link giving a nice table of body vs lens type compatibility.

For more detail on lens types check out this excellent resource: Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

Enjoy