Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #1

k10d Lens Compatibility

Hi everyone... great forum that you have here, I hope that someone can help me out. I recently purchased a K10D from one of your members. It seems to be in immaculate condition, and I could be happier, except for one small factor... I can't take any pictures.

I assume that I have chosen an incompatible lens so was hoping that someone could confirm this and maybe give me some advice so that I don't make the same mistake again.

Here's the lens: SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 50mm

Now, I had read that the k10d was compatible with the KAF2, KAF and KA mount lenses. Isn't the Pentax-A a KA Mount lens?

If I remove the lens, the camera seems to operate normally, but with the lens attached nothing happens. Thanks in advance... Joe

09-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the lenses aperture ring set to the "A" position? If you do not, you should try it You'll be able to use all of the exposure modes that way. If you want to use the aperture ring, you'll need to go to the custom menu, and scroll for "Using aperture ring" and set that to "Permitted" then shoot in Manual mode, set your aperture with the ring, then hit the green button to set your shutter speed. And you can use ANY Pentax K mount lens on your K10D, but the old manual lenses require stop down metering with the green button. ( you can also use 3rd party K mount lenses, but there are a few out there that may cause problems, such as ones designed for Ricoh program type SLRs , there is a pin on those lenses that MAY cause the lens to get stuck on your camera )
09-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Stratman... thanks so much... problem solved. I have much to learn... being able to take pictures is a good first step! Thanks again.
09-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I went through the exact same thing the first day I had my K110D, tried a fully manual lens, and got the flashing F in the LCD, figured it out, and been using manual lenses a lot since !! Happy shooting !!

09-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

AND, you can also use the old screw mount lenses with the proper adapter....

09-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
AND, you can also use the old screw mount lenses with the proper adapter....
... Providing you set [Using Aperture Ring] to [Enabled] in the Custom menu.
09-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Good point Albert, forgot to mention that, lol

09-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Good point Albert, forgot to mention that, lol
Yeah, but right after I posted it, I noticed someone had already mentioned it above. since that someone was, er, uh, YOU, and you mentioned it there I need a few more red face smilies.
09-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Yeah, but right after I posted it, I noticed someone had already mentioned it above. since that someone was, er, uh, YOU, and you mentioned it there I need a few more red face smilies.
Nothing wrong with reiteration Albert.
09-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And... as other members have mentioned before, you can even use Canon and Nikon lenses with the right adapters too...

Happy snapping.
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
Very cool... I have a friend who is about ready to make the switch from Canon to Nikon... I might have to take some of the Canon lenses off his hands
09-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But why you would want to is beyond me!
Pentax has comparable glassware and would have fewer problems with the auto features.
I certainly couldn't vouch for those Canon lenses being autofocus on the K10D regardless of the adapter you find.

Your A 50/1.7 is one of the best rated fast fifties - enjoy it!
09-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I reiterate Ash's comments. I feel that you would need to have a really good reason to go for Canon lenses, when the range of Pentax lens from as far back as 30-40 years is great. There some really superlative lens there and nowhere near as expensive as Canon (in most cases)!
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the advice.... I have a few friends who have recently purchased the 450D. I'm glad that I went against the grain and chose the Pentax. I've read great things about Pentax glass... I'm very happy with the A 1.7 50mm so far. I'm really just in the learning stage at the moment, so I want to learn as much as I can using the prime lens and then move to a nice telephoto (without breaking my bank account of course ... one of the reasons that I chose to go with a Pentax system)

I realize that an auto focus lens will likely set me back quite a bit... does any one have any advice on a good telephoto lens to get my feet wet? Thanks again.
09-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the price, you cant beat the Tamron 70-300 for an AF telephoto. Otherwise the Sigma 70-300 APO isn't too bad either. If you don't have a wide angle, the DA 18-55 is very cheap yet reasonably good too.