Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K20D

Good Afternoon, I am goingto purchase aK20D. I have a Pentax A 3.5 35-105 w/- Macro and a Pentax A 4.0 70-210 lens. I am thinking after reading your reviews of Pentax 4.0 17-45 or 4.0 17-70 or Sigma 2.8-4.5 17-70 w/- Macro and a 4.5-5.6 70-300. At this point in time would a D-BG2 Battery Grip be warranted? Lastly how do I join my local Social Group?

Regards,
Gordon.

09-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There is a large photography group in Brisbane

Brisbane Camera Group

And a flickr group meeting once a month. Just google it.

This group is rumoured to have a few famous photographers that reveal their trade secrets in the monthly meet.

I also heard of a birding group that is mixed between wealthy birding photographer wanna-bes with local bird experts - they mutually benefit each other by doing regular outing looking for various birds. It is fun. But there will be a few bossy ones that want to put you down for using pentax gear ... (no matter where you go)

With your lens choice, stick to sigma 17-70 macro which is more than sufficient for daily use or travel. Great performer.

The battery grip is not really that important unless you pfer to have a better grip of the camera or you got giant hands... It just provides a grip for protrait use, more important for birding, sports or fashion intent.

Hope you enjoy your new pentax camera.
09-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome Gordon. I think the best advice I can give you is to get your camera and get used to using it and the two lenses you have already.
Take time to see what focal lengths you like shooting at. An option for you would be to buy the kit lens with your K20D, it's the best kit lens out there so it's good value for money.
With those lenses you cover a good range with some nice overlap. When you find what focal length you like shooting at, you can buy a faster prime in that range.
You might decide you want to invest in a good tripod or a flashgun next instead of a lens.
You won't know until you start using and get used to your initial equipment.
As far as the BG goes, try the camera with and without the grip, I think most people prefer the extra weight and balance.
I look forward to seeing some shots from you.
09-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome Gordon. I think the best advice I can give you is to get your camera and get used to using it and the two lenses you have already.
Take time to see what focal lengths you like shooting at. An option for you would be to buy the kit lens with your K20D, it's the best kit lens out there so it's good value for money.
With those lenses you cover a good range with some nice overlap. When you find what focal length you like shooting at, you can buy a faster prime in that range.
You might decide you want to invest in a good tripod or a flashgun next instead of a lens.
You won't know until you start using and get used to your initial equipment.
As far as the BG goes, try the camera with and without the grip, I think most people prefer the extra weight and balance.
I look forward to seeing some shots from you.
Good Evening, All the lenses that I have listed are kit lenses. My two A Series lens are off my Super A and I swap between the pair of them on a regular basis. I have an MZ50 with an auto focus lens (see Marketplace) but autofocus doesn't really do anything for me.

Regards,
Gordon.

09-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The grip has given me a full stop worth of SR with the larger lenses. I'm never going back - increased bulk, but it's worth it.
09-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
All the lenses that I have listed are kit lenses.
Not in the sense that is usually meant here. The "kit lens" is the lens that is sold in a package (a "kit") along with the camera. While some stores may offer special promotions that include a deal on some of the lenses you mention when purchased with the camera, as far as I know the only lens that is actually sold as the "kit lens" with the K20D is the DA 18-55 II. At one point it was pretty common to offer a package including this and the DA 50-200, so that was sort of an unofficial "kit lens". And in either Australia or New Zealand or both, there was a Sigma lens that used to be sold instead of the DA 18-55 as the basic kit lens. But when someone talks about the "kit lens", they are specifically referring to the DA 18-55 (version I or II).
09-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
And in either Australia or New Zealand or both, there was a Sigma lens that used to be sold instead of the DA 18-55 as the basic kit lens.
That was Australia, where Sigma and Pentax are distributed by the same company, as opposed to here (New Zealand) where Sigma is distributed by the Australian distributor, and there is a separate Pentax distributor.

Totally coincidentally, Sigma stuff seems to be easier to find on shelves...
09-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hello, Gordon. I'm in Sunnybank. You can join a SE Queensland Social Group by clicking on Quicklinks | Social Groups at the top left of the screen.

I'll be putting up some 2008 Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers shots soon which I took on 20-21 Sept. It has taken me a long time to go through 670 RAW shots in Pentax Photo Lab and tweak each of them. The equipment I used for the W/E was:

K100D Super
DA18-55/3.5-5-6 II (the new kit lens which I bought after getting the K100D Super)
Super Takumar (M42) 50/1.4
M28/2.8
M50/1.7
A50/2 (a few shots)
F35-105/4.5-5.6
A70-210/4 (non-SMC version)

The parade I shot by switching continually between the A70-200/4 (distance shoots) and the DA18-55/3.5-5.6 II.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 09-29-2008 at 01:31 AM.
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Gordon,
I'm in the camp that thinks you should go ahead and get the kit lens (DA18-55II) with the K20, as the wider angle is all you are lacking in a basic kit. With the crop factor, the 18-55 covers 27-82.5mm in 35mm terms, the 35-105 covers 52.5-157.5mm, and the 70-210 covers 105-315mm.

If you're not crazy about AF, you can always set the camera to MF and use the 18-55 as a MF lens.

HTH,
Heather
09-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K20d

Thanks for all of your suggestions so it looks like the 18-55 Mk II will be the lens of choice out of all the available kits.

Regards,
Gordon.
09-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Thanks for all of your suggestions so it looks like the 18-55 Mk II will be the lens of choice out of all the available kits.

Regards,
Gordon.
I have the DA 18-55 II Lens. It is a good lens.

However, I'm planning on replacing it with the DA 16-45 f/4. I've had one, sold it, and now wish that I still had it.

I'd recommend going with the DA 16-45.