Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2018, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP is my third DSLR following K-5 and K-1. It‘s significantly more lightweight than the K-1 and also works with my DA55-300PLM - the reasons I bought it.

Besides high IQ and high ISO capability I simply love to work with high quality manufactured cameras and great hardware user interfaces that higher end Pentax cameras offer.

If you‘re interested in reading a little bit more about the KP user interface, please join my website‘s (link below) english section where I published an article about KP’s user interface for the international community.

The K-1 I overall love the most. But from the moment I got the KP the K-1 has a hard time. For an APSC setup the KP with DA15, DA18-135 and DA55-300PLM simply is overwhelming. To walk out lightweight I sometimes simply only take the D15 and M1.7/50 and DA TC1.4x in a small hip bag with me.

Happy Christmas!

Regards, acoufap

12-24-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I agree that you can find a lot of gently used equipment on PF at a reasonable price, including K-1s. I've purchased my K-1, but more to your needs, many great lenses here on PF with no issues. Most of the people who buy and sell here are longstanding members of PF and are not likely to sell poor quality lenses to each other.

The K-1 is heavier than the KP, for me the image quality is worth the weight. That said, the KP is IIRC, a "prosumer" level camera, so you should be happy with it for years. I agree that the combos that are offered make for the best deal. Especially the 18-135mm lenses, which gives you an all-weather "walk-around" lens that delivers great images in almost every situation.
12-24-2018, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ATLphotog Quote
Also, lens-wise: I have a friend who upgraded to Pentax K-1, so is looking to sell a bunch of his older lenses to me at a good price. So I'd likely just buy the body solo, then pair with some awesome lenses he has. If you're interested, I can share the actual lenses he's offering to sell to me.

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 07:33 PM ----------

Cool - I'm busy studying the KP online, but can you summarize what about it generated controversy? Thanks!
I don't think there was any real controversy. With every new model that Pentax releases there are people on the forums who complain because the camera didn't tick off everything on their wish list. There are always threads here about what the next new camera should be, maybe they take it a little too seriously, but no harm.

I've had the KP for a few months now and I love it. Low light capability and image quality are amazing. Autofocus speed and accuracy are superb with the combination of the KP and 55-300 PLM. That's in comparison with my K-50 and the Sony a6000 I also have. The Sony hasn't seen much action since the KP arrived.

In the distant past I uses a Nikon D70, those early Nikons were good cameras, but you are going to be amazed!
12-24-2018, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started out in DSLRs with a K-x "beginners DSLR" , even though I already know photography, I still needed to learn the ways of digital.
It wasn't long after getting that camera I upgraded to the K-5 and I just love that camera, the K-x went to my daughter which she still uses to this day for sending me pics of the grandbaby. back then I was very strapped for cash so I made the most out of my K-5, and up untill this year I used it religiously. first "nice" lens I bought for it was the 18-135mm, that lens was my main "go to" lens and the shots I got from it were 90% keepers, I will never get rid of this lens, it now sits on my "fun" camera, the K01.
over the last eight years I have collected lenses and camera bodies as of recently. Ya im a bit better off financially but I am also a bargain shopper when it comes to my gear. Out of all my gear (lenses and Bodies) only my K-5, K-x(gifted to me) and 55-300 PLM lens was bought brand new, all the rest is bought used, some bought from here in the marketplace, and some bought from local pawnshops seeing as I live in a city with tons of pawn shops(Vegas) As some have stated here, the marketplace deals are usually legit and you can get some killer deals on some previously loved gear here. I have bought all my DA star zooms here, even a K01 in mint condition, and a rarely used (brand new condition) K-3 with battery grip for a total of $400.
I monitor all the pawn shops here locally and have managed to pick up two killer deals recently, back in July I picked up a DA 150-450mm zoom for just $1000 price out the door, after watching it for six months patiently because the starting price was $1800, this thing is in brand new mint condition! Just yesterday I picked up a silver prestige K3 w/battery grip for just $300 after seeing it sit on the shelf at the pawn shop for 11 months with a starting price of $860, this camera has no scratches on it, although the grip has scratches on the bottom, but thats expected with the silver cameras. it only has around 4000 clicks on the body (verified online) I get these deals because I know what Im looking at and dealing with, and am a very good judge of the condition of these items, plus I am very patient, especially knowing that the general customer that goes in there to buy stuff is not a photographer, and if they were they are usually not looking for Pentax gear, they like the shiny Canikony stuff.
so seeing from what I just wrote here, I can assure you that used gear can be had on the cheap and CAN be in good condition. and I also recommend the K-3, I haven't been shooting them much yet but from what I have been shooting I am very pleased with the results, I do also recommend the K-5 series of cameras as well. I will most likely not sell my K5, may give it to one of my close family members just so I know it is still around.

My apologies for the long winded post...

12-24-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I would recommend the K 5 II, the K 3 and the K 3 II

are there better Pentax cameras - perhaps and all I have mentioned are ASP-C sensor cameras - but those are the ones I have had personal experiences with.

Research is your friend in these matters
12-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #21

Original Poster
This is all really helpful. I will check out ALL the links above and digest the thoughts offered (right after Christmas probably).

In the meantime, here's the lenses my "Pentax enthusiast friend" is offering me used. He even provided links to this forum as you'll see -

Pentax DA 50-135
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
In excellent condition. I have the hood but not the original box. I will miss this lens! My absolute favorite, even over my new lenses

---

Pentax DA 12-24 f4
DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
In excellent condition. Great lens. It’s only fault is that it’s a full f4, but for architectural and landscape photography which it’s for, you really don’t need faster

---

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
This lens would give you a 50mm ultra-fast prime. It takes amazing shots. It’s not their “Art” series, but it’s a really good lens

---

Tamron 17-50 SP F2.8 XR
This was my work horse and It’s a little beat up, but it still takes great shots.

---

Tokina AT-X SD 80-200 f2.8 Manual Focus
This lens is ridiculous and with the APC-S conversion this comes to a focal length of 120 x 300 which is insane. The picture quality is incredible, though being a manual focus and old aluminum with a lot of big glass it needs to be shot using a tripod
12-24-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is all really helpful. I will check out ALL the links above and digest the thoughts offered (right after Christmas probably).

In the meantime, here's the lenses my "Pentax enthusiast friend" is offering me used. He even provided links to this forum as you'll see -

Pentax DA 50-135
Pentax DA 12-24 f4
Tamron 17-50 SP F2.8 XR
I don't have any of those lenses but the first four anyway are held in high regard. Those first two are aligned perfectly with your stated needs, as is the Tamron. If a 30mm prime is in your sights that is supposed to be one of the best, I think. Personally I'm not big on manual focus zooms because they can be difficult to use. I would spring for a new 55-300 PLM instead of that, more reach, fast autofocus, and compact size.

12-24-2018, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . in the meantime, here's the lenses my "Pentax enthusiast friend" is offering me used. He even provided links to this forum as you'll see -

Pentax DA 50-135
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
In excellent condition. I have the hood but not the original box. I will miss this lens! My absolute favorite, even over my new lenses

---

Pentax DA 12-24 f4
DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
In excellent condition. Great lens. It’s only fault is that it’s a full f4, but for architectural and landscape photography which it’s for, you really don’t need faster

---

Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
This lens would give you a 50mm ultra-fast prime. It takes amazing shots. It’s not their “Art” series, but it’s a really good lens

---

Tamron 17-50 SP F2.8 XR
This was my work horse and It’s a little beat up, but it still takes great shots.

---

This lens is ridiculous and with the APC-S conversion this comes to a focal length of 120 x 300 which is insane. The picture quality is incredible, though being a manual focus and old aluminum with a lot of big glass it needs to be shot using a tripod
an excellent set of lens

this thread might be of interest

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-24-2018 at 10:01 AM.
12-24-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Pentax DA 50-135

---

Pentax DA 12-24 f4

---

---

Tamron 17-50 SP F2.8 XR

---

With a KP that is a solid kit right there.

Also you might consider a used K-1, DFA 28-105 and Rokinon 14mm.
12-24-2018, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another thought for the OP

consider spending $ and doing a hands on test by renting:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com
12-24-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Pentax DA 50-135

---

Pentax DA 12-24 f4

---

---

Tamron 17-50 SP F2.8 XR

---

I cannot speak for the other lenses but the DA* 50-135mm lens is one of my main "go to" lenses along with my DA* 16-50mm lens, I keep them both mounted on my two K3s...

Name:  IMG_20181224_113012.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20181224_112758.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  73.6 KB
12-24-2018, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks in advance! Assume I don't know much about buying DSLR's - the more info you all give, the better. Thanks!
Since you have shot with an APS-c Nikon, you must have lenses that you use the most or own. Pentax APS-c crop factor is the same as Nikon so If I were you I would get similar focal length lenses. Currently I own the K1 and a K5IIs. I owned two K3 bodies and sold both in favor of the K1 and later picked up the K5IIs for back up. I agree with the other forum members that the K1 is on the heavy side. I do not own the KP but I have shot with it in a few occasions and loved it.

You have to decide what you are going to shoot the most (in subject matter) and see if APS-C will do the job for you. If so, my vote is for the KP. The high ISO capability of the KP is way ahead of the K3. The KP is every bit as sold in feel and construction as the K3 and it has a few goodies that K3 does not have.

For lenses, I have only owned the Tamron 17-50 from your friend's lenses. I loved the Tamron. It is not a pro grade lens (in construction) but the images it produces are pro class. The Pentax 50-135 was too slow for me in focusing speed. The construction and image quality are excellent but the slow focusing (if you intend to shoot sports or fast moving objects) were the deal breakers for me.

If I had to get one zoom, my choice would be the 16-85 for an all around pick. For primes and a compact kit, I would go with the 15 limited, 35 limited macro and the 70 Limited.

As far as places to buy, I have bought all of my gear from B&H and a few items from Adorama. Both are solid and reputable online dealers.

Hope my comment help you with your search. Good luck.

Last edited by btnapa; 12-25-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
12-24-2018, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the first several comments, these are helpful already!

Here's more info about what I shoot:

- Mostly non-paid stuff like family & school events - casual, but enthusiastically so about capturing day to day moments
- Mostly natural light situations
- A lot of people shots where I want sharp focus but depth of field that gives nice bokeh
- A lot of amateur nature photography too, all outdoors
- Some lower-light and motion-heavy situations, like photos at sports events or plays or official functions for my kids that are held indoors
- Some paid work, all of it residential photography. That's the other reason I'm considering a big change - I need a great wide-angle lens to get residential interiors, which got me thinking - if I'm going to invest in a new wide-angle, but am ready to move up from my Nikon D40 - why not reconsider the whole paradigm/camera make and maybe start anew?

I look forward to any and all comments - hope that helps clarify what I shoot.
Welcome to the forum! I too come from a retro film background. With your background, and with such a variety of interests for shooting, the KP is a very obvious recommendation. Right now, perhaps for the holiday season, B&H is running excellent price deals. A camera of such quality at less than $800 is an amazing value! I bought mine from B&H, with whom I have dealt for years, and I have always been happy with their prices and their service. It has never been under $800 until recently. It might go up again- this has happened before.

For maximum versatility for your described needs, the DA 18-135mm is hard to pass up. The lens price is on special also. Very well-built, comes complete with lens hood. Its AF is especially good- fast, accurate, and quiet. There is currently a discussion regarding this lens within the troubleshooting and beginner help section, in a thread entitled "which k-70 package?" with sample shots furnished by Des. This lens makes an excellent pairing with the KP since it is so compact, yet very well-built. I have both lens and camera, and I have loved the KP so much I bought a 2nd body! The comments as to the K-70 are magnified yet more when considering the KP. An upgrade in controls, build quality, and features. Again, such quality at that price is truly rare.

At the same time, that list of lenses your friend offers is worthy of consideration. I also have the very fine DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 which is of extremely high quality and especially good for low light situations. It is also amazingly compact for such a lens. Imaging and design are superb. During AF or zooming, nothing of the lens's exterior moves. It remains the same length and balance. Unlike the DA 18-135mm, its AF is not real quick. It employs an old version of the SDM AF system, which has sometimes failed altogether. If that happens, it can be converted to using the camera's screw-driven AF, which also improves AF speed (unlike consumer Nikons, all Pentax models can still use older lenses with this type of AF). I believe UncleVanya provides this service at very reasonable cost if needed. I've had mine for 10 years, and used it with several camera bodies without any problems. It pairs well with a short, faster-aperture zoom lens of high caliber. I sometimes use my DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited with it (superb!), or my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC (excellent!).

Your friend's DA 12-24mm f/4 would be a great choice for interiors, architecture, and more. Image quality is again superb, distortion is low for a wide angle zoom lens, and it can deliver excellent edge-to-edge sharpness. With the KP's exceptional higher ISO low noise performance with very good preservation of detail, f/4 becomes at least as good as f/2.8 on most other cameras. I have this lens also.

So which lenses I put to use depends on what conditions I will face and what kind of subjects I will be shooting. Any of the above on the KP will deliver exceptional results for their intended use.

If you like to shoot time-saving, high-quality jpegs, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the KP's Custom Image menus. If you have any trouble doing it, just check back, perhaps with a new thread, and we'll walk you through it. Very important for fine detail in your images.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-24-2018 at 08:15 PM.
12-25-2018, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Nice set of lenses. I just moved to the DA12-24 and find it incredibly useful for events, particularly in crowded spaces. The 50-135 has a great reputation as a useful lens with excellent output. I also have the Sigma 30/1.4 and the summary you quoted is spot on IMHO. The only lens not on your list that I use regularly as a walk-around lens is the 18-135 as its probably the most versatile of my lenses that has good output (the 18-250 should theoretically be more versatile but its output is inferior to the 18-135).
12-25-2018, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

You said "invest in lenses to get better bokeh". So, if having great bokeh is critical for your photography, get the K-1 camera or the K-1 II camera.

You'd have to buy a used K-1 to stay under your $1000 budget, but that's possible if you are patient. I buy lots of used camera bodies. I've found that I can get a used one with under 20,000 shutter clicks for about 70% of the new price. Often my used cameras are in like new condition and they all have years of life left in them. Sometimes you can even find a camera with a transferrable 3 year warranty on them.

As far as bokeh lens go, the new Pentax HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW has it in spades. I'm sure the upcoming new Pentax D FA 85mm lens will also.