Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surprisingly, the bokeh produced by the DA 18-135mm is quite good! An unexpected result!

12-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
A list of the lenses (DA's I suppose since he's going FF) would help. What body is he leaving for the K-1?
Found out which body he's leaving for the K-1 - it was the K-5.
12-26-2018, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As someone who worked for a while at the Wolf Camera on 14th Street, it makes me sad to hear Atlanta referred to as a bad place to buy a camera...

I’d add to the KP suggestion, with that set of lenses. Based on your needs, it includes almost everything you want.

I’d probably suggest a fast 50 for portraiture, and there are four good choices there just from Pentax, in various price ranges.

Pentax has announced a 70-200 f4 for next year that will probably focus faster than the 50-135 for sports, and that might be good.

And if the 17-50 is too beat up, there are still good options there, too. And the DA*16-50 has been at a good price lately.

-Eric
12-26-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
As someone who worked for a while at the Wolf Camera on 14th Street, it makes me sad to hear Atlanta referred to as a bad place to buy a camera...

I’d add to the KP suggestion, with that set of lenses. Based on your needs, it includes almost everything you want.

I’d probably suggest a fast 50 for portraiture, and there are four good choices there just from Pentax, in various price ranges.

Pentax has announced a 70-200 f4 for next year that will probably focus faster than the 50-135 for sports, and that might be good.

And if the 17-50 is too beat up, there are still good options there, too. And the DA*16-50 has been at a good price lately.

-Eric
Bankrupt in 2001 - one store left out of 700+ - it's owned by some outfit out of NJ and is not a place I will go a 2nd time.

12-26-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I left before the bankruptcy...

The 14th Street store was really nice. Once they moved the ‘Flagship’ to Piedmont, it was a shell of its former self...

It was never a Pentax-centric place, though several of us were Pentax shooters, but they moved a ton of SF-10s back in the day...

Now, I think KEH is probably the best source for Pentax in Atlanta...

-Eric
12-26-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Yeah, I left before the bankruptcy...

The 14th Street store was really nice. Once they moved the ‘Flagship’ to Piedmont, it was a shell of its former self...

It was never a Pentax-centric place, though several of us were Pentax shooters, but they moved a ton of SF-10s back in the day...

Now, I think KEH is probably the best source for Pentax in Atlanta...

-Eric
Yes, KEH is great but you can only pick-up at their location way on the west side outside the perimeter. Mostly I get free shipping from them like everyone else and get items delivered to the house.
12-26-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #37

Original Poster
Great stuff, all. Now that I'm past all the Christmas fun, I'm delving back in and starting to read all the links suggested above. I'm feeling really close to buying the Pentax KP from B&H.

A few questions while I'm doing that:

- Warranties
How do you feel about them? (I need to cut dollars where I can - but also have had good experiences with warranties on stereo equipment in the past)

- Flash
I've been using the built-in flash on my Nikon D40 for years - which means I rarely use it (because it's so un-subtle) and so I try to do a lot with natural light. So I definitely want to get an external/mounted flash for my new Pentax. Any suggestions of one you love for a model like the KP, that is lightweight and value-priced?

- Battery Grip

I'd never heard this term before this thread. Get it for sure, or meh?
Note: I've rarely run out of battery on a shoot, so I'd get it mostly for what seems to be more ease in holding the camera with a long lens for a while.
Also, is a battery grip quickly removable - if I'm using a small lens and would rather go "more compact"?

- Camera Bag
I'd love a recommendation on a bag that you love, that can hold the camera with a lens on it and 1 or 2 other lenses in the bag.

- Other tips/caveats
Any other tips or warnings, etc, you want to share with me before I move forward? For instance, I had been lusting after the K-1 and its full-frame prowess. But my budget is much more in line with the KP, and my gut says the K-1 is overkill for what I do (see above). Your comments have helped convince me I'm fine with the KP. But, any more thoughts?

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by ATLphotog; 12-26-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: deleting extra returns
12-26-2018, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ATLphotog Quote
Great stuff, all. Now that I'm past all the Christmas fun, I'm delving back in and starting to read all the links suggested above. I'm feeling really close to buying the Pentax KP from B&H.

A few questions while I'm doing that:

- Warranties
How do you feel about them? (I need to cut dollars where I can - but also have had good experiences with warranties on stereo equipment in the past) . . .
standard US warranty is one year. check your credit cards, you may get additional coverage if you use the right card to buy it

remember that other " add on " warranties start running as soon as you buy the item, so a 2 year add on gets you only 1 more year coverage

QuoteQuote:
- Battery Grip[/B]
I'd never heard this term before this thread. Get it for sure, or meh?
Note: I've rarely run out of battery on a shoot, so I'd get it mostly for what seems to be more ease in holding the camera with a long lens for a while.
Also, is a battery grip quickly removable - if I'm using a small lens and would rather go "more compact"?. . .

do you need the balance or additional size it gives? individual choice. it appears to allow use of AA batteries instead of 1 D-LI90P. if it is the same as the one I had with the K 5 II and the ones I have for my K 3 and K 3 II, and it appears similar, it is easily removed, just a thumb screw.

Pentax Battery Grip D-BG7 for Pentax KP reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
- Other tips/caveats
Any other tips or warnings, etc, you want to share with me before I move forward? For instance, I had been lusting after the K-1 and its full-frame prowess. But my budget is much more in line with the KP, and my gut says the K-1 is overkill for what I do (see above). Your comments have helped convince me I'm fine with the KP. But, any more thoughts?

Thanks y'all!
good strap and/or hand grip

I use a Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate with a Joby Camera Tether and Optech USA Utility Strap

but there are many different choices

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2018 at 03:32 AM.
12-26-2018, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

The D-BG7 battery grip for the KP allows the use of either one D-LI109 (same as the battery that comes with the KP) or one D-LI90 (higher capacity battery used in the k-3, K-3II and K-1) As far as I know (despite what is shown on the Forum DSLR comparison tool) there is no provision for AA batteries. I got one for my KP as I am going on a trip to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada, in March and the grip was suggested as a good way to deal with cold-weather battery drain. It does make the camera bigger (which may not be a bad thing when wearing gloves or mitts). KP body and grip are said to be about the same weight as K-3/3II body only. The grip is said to offer better balance when using longer, heavier telephoto lenses on the camera. I don't have any really big glass, so I can't comment on this from personal experience.

It's not hard to add or remove, but I wouldn't say that this is something that can be done particularly quickly. It's probably like mounting the body to a standard screw-type tripod head, or screwing a quick release plate to the bottom of the camera, adding a motor drive to a film SLR camera body. You're screwing or unscrewing a thumb screw screw that uses the body's tripod socket for mounting, along with some guide pegs that ensure proper alignment. There are also covers for power and data ports on grip and body that have to be removed or replaced upon adding or taking off the grip. These covers fit into a purpose built opening in the upper surface of the grip, keeping them safely protected while the grip is attached.
12-27-2018, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for the correct info.

am not sure where I made the mistake, I know I was reviewing some material about it before posting - perhaps the comparison tool, as I said, I don't own that type of grip

my comment on ease of removal of such grips is based on the fact you don't have to use another tool or coin to detach or attach the grip, just your fingers/thumb

and I have yet to misplace or forget those unlike a coin or a tool

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2018 at 04:07 AM.
12-27-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

The 3 year warranty from Pentax is a reasonable purchase IMHO. Unfortunately Adorama doesn't appear to sell the right extended warranty for the KP. B&H does for $50 at:
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video
12-27-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ATLphotog Quote
Cool - I'm busy studying the KP online, but can you summarize what about it generated controversy? Thanks!
Plowing through three pages, I don't see a 'clean' answer to this question - so here is my answer. The main issues I've heard can be summarized as "KP is not appropriate followup to K-7/5/3 family".
KP has smaller buffer, so bursts are limited.
KP has smaller battery, so need more batteries or shorter trips.
KP has 1 SD card instead of 2.
KP doesn't have top LCD, so have to look at back LCD or through viewfinder.

Coming from a K-30, none of these has affected me.
12-27-2018, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The 3 year warranty from Pentax is a reasonable purchase IMHO. Unfortunately Adorama doesn't appear to sell the right extended warranty for the KP. B&H does for $50 at:
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video
that 3 year warranty seems to begin on the date you buy the equipment

I would call and confirm that

if I am correct, then it is for 2 additional years after the manufacturer warranty ends, not 3 additional years

not saying that is a bad deal, just suggesting to find out in advance before purchasing

my Visa card provider gives me an additional year after the manufacturer's warranty no additional cost

please confirm that with your local Visa provider
12-27-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
. . . KP has smaller battery, so need more batteries or shorter trips. . . .
the optional battery grip for the KP allows the use of the same battery used for the K 3, K 3 II and K 1:

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
The D-BG7 battery grip for the KP allows the use of either one D-LI109 (same as the battery that comes with the KP) or one D-LI90 (higher capacity battery used in the k-3, K-3II and K-1) . . .
12-27-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax extended warranty is a good idea but be careful to pick the right one. The MSRP of the KP is still listed as $1096 on B&H so the link provided in an earlier message may not be the correct one for the KP since it is for cameras with an MSRP under $1000. Perhaps someone better informed about this than me can provide confirmation one way or the other.