Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget to sell your K-r to offset some of the expenses of upgrading. They do sell and you could clear $150-250 on the sale on eBay. Less here.

12-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others said the K-70 may be a worthy option also. The k-p seems a good fit as well. Grip style, and multiple features differ so I'd look closer at both before jumping.
12-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Don't forget to sell your K-r to offset some of the expenses of upgrading. They do sell and you could clear $150-250 on the sale on eBay. Less here.

Good to know, thank you. I planned on selling it but wasn't sure of a price point. How much if I tack on the 18-55 kit lens?
12-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Good to know, thank you. I planned on selling it but wasn't sure of a price point. How much if I tack on the 18-55 kit lens?
The higher end - condition and how you phrase it and how clear and enticing your photos are make a huge difference in price sold for on eBay BTW. You can look for yourself by selecting "Sold" as one of the filters in a search for K-r cameras to get the most recent sales prices and what sold for what and how they were pitched in the ad.

12-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! I'll have a photoshoot of my K-r then. Lol
12-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which version? If the original... Maybe an additional $25.
12-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Either camera K3-II or KP will literally run circles around your KR. You really can’t go wrong either way... The K3-II is getting hard to find in new condition but the KP has been available for close to 800 IIRC. You really can’t go wrong both will perform infinitely better and take awesome photos. If low light is number one on your list my nod does go to the KP it has awesome low light performance and has the high end model build quality in a small package. Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

12-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #23

Enjoy taking your baby photos! I found that the 35mm f2.4 was fine while they were too young to move around much. To get sharp photos indoors when they started cruising around without pushing the iso too much I picked up a used Sigma 30mm f1.4 (the old EX version, not the more recent and supposedly superior Art version). Really helped the keeper rate. The other thing that has been helpful is the high frame rate and good buffer on my K3ii. Under 2s won’t pose for photos!
12-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . My kit right now is a K-r, Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the beginner kit lenses. I’m looking around at a nice prime at either 35, 40 or 50 as well, but haven’t settled on one yet. Eventually I’d like to add the DA* 50-135 for great longer distance, candid shots when we’re out, but that’s not too high on the list right now either.

Let the suggestions fly!
if willing to use an manual focus lens

look around for a 28mm 2.0 version

I found a Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA in the market place for a good price

[ Kiron was one of the manufacturers who made lenses under their own name and provides lens to be sold under the " Vivitar " name ]

some examples can be found in these threads

Kiron Lens Club - PentaxForums.com

DSLR fun with 28mm: Club for any 28mm lens - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com
12-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 35mm f/2.4 is a great budget lens. Great image quality and cheap price don't usually go together, but this one is an exception. If wanting to go for much better build quality, the older, full-frame FA 35mm f/2 is a great lens also, Its price is more, but it has a faster aperture, comes with a very good lens hood, and has a metal mount instead of plastic. Actually quite reasonably priced for its quality and capability. Both lenses can deliver very fine images even wide open, but the FA can do so at f/2. It is compact and light in weight.

I used to have the K-r for some years as my smaller go-to body for extra compact use, as a smaller alternative to my pro-quality K-5 IIs. Nice little camera. I replaced it around 3 years ago with the much better K-S2, which now serves as my lightest lightweight DSLR. Just last year I bought the KP, and wow! it is a beauty, both physically and in performance. It is way above what you are used to in every way. It is so flexible too, as in mating with a top-notch compact prime lens it makes a very cool package. Or it is expandable into a more beefy ensemble, even to the degree of an added battery grip for additional gripping surface, super long battery life without recharging, and duplicate controls for extensive vertical shooting, all being at about the same weight as a K-3 II alone. Unlike the K-3 II, it has a built-in flash. The price deals going on now are terrific for such a quality camera.

If you like to shoot high-quality jpeg images, the KP's processor does a great job. Just make sure you set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus to get excellent fine detail in your images.

The superb DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens would make a marvelous addition to your kit. I've had mine for about 10 years. It also is remarkably compact for such a lens. It does not change length at all, nor does anything of its exterior move during zooming or AF. it remains perfectly balanced in the hand. It makes a fine ensemble with the KP.
12-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is an evolutionary step forward!

I stepped up to a KP about a month ago from a K100D. Wow! best available light performance I have experienced. I used a rental K3ii which was very good but the the KP beats it by 2 F stops on the low light end. The menu system is so well thought out and a joy to use. It will be a great performing camera for many years to come. It exceeds the performance of my older eyes!
12-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

KP is usable at ISO 10K and 12,800 ISO without much PP. Honestly it is just an amazing piece of gear.
12-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
KP is usable at ISO 10K and 12,800 ISO without much PP. Honestly it is just an amazing piece of gear.
Under the proper circumstances {limited DR and CD needed} 25600 ISO seems to be OK
Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com
12-28-2018, 01:07 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The superb DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens would make a marvelous addition to your kit. I've had mine for about 10 years. It also is remarkably compact for such a lens. It does not change length at all, nor does anything of its exterior move during zooming or AF. it remains perfectly balanced in the hand. It makes a fine ensemble with the KP.
I was looking at the 50-135 but in the end I saw a cheap Sigma 50-150 and jumped. The autofocus is reputedly faster and more reliable, which is useful for shooting kids running round the park, but I would believe anyone who told me the Pentax colours and micro contrast are superior. In any case, my kids were 18 months old before they were walking far enough in the park that I needed more reach than 50mm, so you could always wait until 2020.
12-28-2018, 01:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the point of view of specifications the KP would be the best choice for the low light capabilities, when compared to the K3ii. But personally I am not comfortable with the grip, so before you buy check out also the K70 as well as the KP.
As far as lens choice goes my recommendations would be any of the following:-
DA 35mm f2.4
DA 40mm f2.8, either the Ltd or XS version
If you can afford it the Ltd 35mm f2.8 macro
or slightly longer
DA 50mm f1.8
All have excellent IQ, and would be a good compact, light weight match to either a KP or K70. I find the Ltds have slightly better colours but of course cost more.