Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
From the point of view of specifications the KP would be the best choice for the low light capabilities, when compared to the K3ii. But personally I am not comfortable with the grip, so before you buy check out also the K70 as well as the KP.
As far as lens choice goes my recommendations would be any of the following:-
DA 35mm f2.4
DA 40mm f2.8, either the Ltd or XS version
If you can afford it the Ltd 35mm f2.8 macro
or slightly longer
DA 50mm f1.8
All have excellent IQ, and would be a good compact, light weight match to either a KP or K70. I find the Ltds have slightly better colours but of course cost more.
MY KP came with 3 grips and the big one works fine for me with a 16-85 and 55-300 DA.

12-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dennishohman Quote
MY KP came with 3 grips and the big one works fine for me with a 16-85 and 55-300 DA.
I tried them out when the JP was first launched and much as I wanted to like the feel of it I just did not. What I am saying is the OP should check this out before committing to buy a camera. I have been into photography for many years and this experience of thinking "that is the one for me" and then finding it is not, 1 when I actually pick one up in my hands is not unique to the KP. Over the years I have rejected the following desirable cameras for this reason - Olympus OM 1n , Contax 139, Contax 167, Nikon d7200. Pentax K1 for example.
12-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I tried them out when the JP was first launched and much as I wanted to like the feel of it I just did not. What I am saying is the OP should check this out before committing to buy a camera. I have been into photography for many years and this experience of thinking "that is the one for me" and then finding it is not, 1 when I actually pick one up in my hands is not unique to the KP. Over the years I have rejected the following desirable cameras for this reason - Olympus OM 1n , Contax 139, Contax 167, Nikon d7200. Pentax K1 for example.
Excellent point. The feel of the KP was indeed different from the K-S2, but now I've gotten used to it, the K-S2 now feels a little strange and odd. The difference in density and weight is quite evident going back and forth between the two, too. The K-70 would have been the logical choice for something with a similar feel and control layout to the K-S2, but I decided to go with the KP because of better build, better IBIS, better AF, better dust removal. I'm glad I did, too.

The K-1 feels too big for me (though if one were to fall into my possession, I'm sure I could adapt...). I once handled a Canon full frame with monster L glass and couldn't believe how heavy it was. More than I'd care to haul around for any length of time.
01-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Having a tilting screen is a must for me, when I do low angle shots on mushrooms/plants.
So I'd go with the KP.

01-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Excellent point. The feel of the KP was indeed different from the K-S2, but now I've gotten used to it, the K-S2 now feels a little strange and odd. The difference in density and weight is quite evident going back and forth between the two, too. ...
I just got new KP delivered from B&H and as much as I like performance of the camera and new features, I will probably be sending it back for ergonomics reasons. I have larger hands and after using K5IIs for 5 years, it is very hard to get used to a smaller, less contoured grip of KP (yes, even the largest one). Plus the top placement of the shutter button requires twisting your wrist in a more vertical position, while holding the camera, which quickly leads to strain and fatigue for me. Of course this may not be an issue for those with smaller hands. I really wanted to like KP, but it looks like I will keep waiting for the next compact sensor flagship from Pentax with a grip design more similar to K5/K3 series.
01-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only reasons for the K-3ii

Built in GPS.
The batteries are the same as your K-5 and K-1.
You don't need flash.
You're happy shooting under 800 ISO.
The faster frame rate and larger buffer.

Starting from zero other cameras, so no battery capability issues, and willing to shoot jpeg instead of raw to build up the buffer utility, and no desire for the GPS function, the K-P is the way to go. Otherwise, you're going to have trade offs.

The only ting stopping me from getting a K-P is the battery thing, but everyone is different. I just went looking for a K-3ii and couldn't find one... otherwise I might be tempted. But really, I want the IQ of the accelerator chip, and the newer AF algorithms so if it were to be my one and only camera, I'd go with the K-P.