Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

In-Body vs. In-Lens stabilisation - pro's and con's?

This article Why we haven't taken a stance on in-body stabilization vs OIS - and why that has changed: Digital Photography Review suggests that in-body stabilisation is better at close-up and wide angle work, whereas in-lens stabilisation is to be preferred for telephoto work.

I'd be interested to hear from long-time users of stabilised telephoto lenses on Pentax bodies with in-body stabilisation whether they prefer one system over the other, or if indeed they've noticed any difference at all.

My main reason for asking is that I'm currently using a recently acquired Pentax K-70, mostly fitted with a Sigma 150-500mm for wildlife photography, mostly birds, often handheld, and I often experience the annoyance of the photographer standing next to me in the hide, some using a very similar lens, but on an "alternative manufacturer's" body, producing sharper, clearer, more stabilised images than mine. I use in-body stabilisation "as default", but should I change over to in-lens stabilisation when I have the option?

Obviously I'll be trying to make comparisons of my own, not easy when no two subjects are exactly the same, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone else who's already made tests and come up with a conclusion.

12-27-2018, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I prefer the in Body stabilisation with all my optic even the long ones -I'm taking photos no videos. The IS can even correct rotational shakes, which the OIS is not capable of.

The information from DPR " suggests that in-body stabilisation is better at close-up and wide angle work, whereas in-lens stabilisation is to be preferred for telephoto work" seems to be mainly correct by the first view.

But by my knowledge the IS stabílisation works fine for the picture even with long teles, because the sensor moves an corrects it.

The "only" advantage of OIS is, it stabilises the picture in the optical viewfinder too - you have less shake during searching for the perfect shot.

For me the correction of the rotational shake on the sensor is much more important.

In my opinion DPR is no reliable source any more, they prefer some vendors - i don't know the reasons why.

Last edited by joergens.mi; 12-29-2018 at 12:56 AM.
12-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that ILS is specific to one and only one lens. It has the advantage of being "tuned" to only that lenses idiosyncratic features. Also, be SURE both are not on inadvertently.
12-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Many years ago, slrgear.com tested in-body SR versus lens SR, using an Olympus body. The key findings were that there was very little difference between the two, but that lens SR yielded heavier lenses, with some loss of balance of the body+lens system, especially for heavier lenses.

I could not find again the original article, but imagingresource has two related articles:
Image Stabilization Testing at The Imaging Resource
Image Stabilization Testing, Version 2

Since I value lighter lenses, I moved to Pentax to have a dSLR with in-body SR.

My 5 cents.

12-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I can handhold my 400mm lens no problem. My 600 not so much. I suspect that very few users have 600mm or longer lenses.
OIS can only correct for 2 axis movement. IBIS can correct for 5 axis, including camera roll, something OIS cannot touch.
OIS is a film era holdover. There may be a very few situations where it is better, but overall it's a technology that has been supplanted by technology that works better.
12-27-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

My only k-mount lens with in-lens stabilization is a Sigma 50-500. I turn off in-body stabilization and just use the lens. Lens stabilization stabilizes the viewfinder, a nice convenience at 500mm.

I've done informal testing of in-body and in-lens and they both work, but they can't be used together on Pentax without risk of feedback causing more blurring. Micro43 allows for both to be used at the same time.
12-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The keys to selecting optical stab versus sensor stab are:

- Optical stabilization stabilizes the view, regardless if the camera is in live view mode or looking through an optical viewfinder or electronic viewfinder
- Optical stabilization costs more overall because each lens has to be equipped with optical stabilization, lenses with OS cost more.
- Sensor stabilization stabilizes the view in live view mode for a DSLR or electronic viewfinder
- Sensor stabilization simplify lens designs, lenses can be smaller and they cost less
- Sensor stabilization is more limited with long lenses, but better for shorter FL
- Not sure is optical stabilization performs better than sensor stab. at normal FL, difference isn't big.

12-27-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I compared ILS in Sigma 150-500 with IBIS in K-S2 and K-1, and the ILS turned out to be slightly more effective, probably due to being tuned up to specific lens. The difference was minimal, but I decided to create separate user settings just for Bigma with IBIS turned off. 'Stabilization' of optical viewfinder is nice side effect. As per shorter FLs, I definitely appreciate ability of IBIS to stabilize virtually anything, with exception of old zooms which I do not use anyway.
12-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks for all replies so far, especially pentageek who has a similar lens to mine. On his findings alone I'll definitely be trying ILS instead of IBIS with my Sigma next time I'm out ... hopefully tomorrow if the weather forecast is correct

Anyone else's actual experiences will be gratefully received
12-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Many thanks for all replies so far, especially pentageek who has a similar lens to mine. On his findings alone I'll definitely be trying ILS instead of IBIS with my Sigma next time I'm out ... hopefully tomorrow if the weather forecast is correct

Anyone else's actual experiences will be gratefully received
Mine are limited to m43. But there the ibis I have access to is less mature and only 3 axis. In the gx1-7 the tests ive done are mixed. Generally I think it is a wash. But additionally the longest lens I could test both on was the 35-100. My longer native lenses have ois always enabled and my adapted lenses don't have ois at all.
12-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always use the OS on the 150-500. Mainly for the stabilized viewfinder. I shoot with the lens directly attached to a monopod, no ball head, which is mainly used for resting. So most of my shots end up being hand held. Sometimes I will lug my tripod and gimbal around, in which case shake reduction is turned off anyway...A nice feature of Sigma's OS is that there are 2 modes, Mode 1 for normal shooting and Mode 2 for panning,
12-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
hopefully tomorrow if the weather forecast is correct
Have fun and please share your findings
12-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe image stabilization in the camera body has more utility than in the lens. Since Pentax allows for dozens of legacy lens compatibility, even these older lenses benefit from the technology. Additionally, it reduces the weight of the lens which can add up if your bringing several on a shoot
12-31-2018, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In-lens stabilization is superior in one regard: camera makers prefer it because they can make and sell $$$$$ stabilized "pro" versions of lenses.
12-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I believe image stabilization in the camera body has more utility than in the lens. Since Pentax allows for dozens of legacy lens compatibility, even these older lenses benefit from the technology. Additionally, it reduces the weight of the lens which can add up if your bringing several on a shoot
Which is why I find it fascinating that several fo the know-it-all camera review sites are praising the innovation of several other makers for having 3-Axis in camera stabilization (!WOW!!). My response is, been benefiting from that technology for 10 years, why are they so late to the party and why don't these people praise Pentax as the forerunner of that approach?