Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 245
Smc Pentax f 50mm f1.7 aperture ring wobbles

Hello! My aperture ring from my lens wobbles quite a bit... There's no impact on functionality as I can manually and successfully switch between A setting and all manual apertures... Should I be worried? Should I buy the fa version instead? Thank you!


Last edited by zburatoru; 12-28-2018 at 10:59 AM.
12-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,468
If it works it works. I'd just leave it on the A setting unless you're doing something that requires manual control.
12-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 245
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If it works it works. I'd just leave it on the A setting unless you're doing something that requires manual control.
Thank you!
12-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sluggo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ames, Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 749
The A50/1.7 does have a tendency for plastic bits of the aperture mechanism to break internally.

Read this thread for one example.

Yes it can be fixed, but it can also be ruined in the attempt, depending on your skills. As ZombieArmy says, best to leave it in auto mode if you can; otherwise you might find it breaks worse at some point while you are turning the ring and won't let you put it back in auto; and then the repair becomes mandatory.

12-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 245
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
The A50/1.7 does have a tendency for plastic bits of the aperture mechanism to break internally.

Read this thread for one example.

Yes it can be fixed, but it can also be ruined in the attempt, depending on your skills. As ZombieArmy says, best to leave it in auto mode if you can; otherwise you might find it breaks worse at some point while you are turning the ring and won't let you put it back in auto; and then the repair becomes mandatory.
Thank you! I love this lens, I have the A variant too... This F version that I have has very clean optics and really delivers as I knew it would! So, I let it like this and if shit happen, I could buy and fa version, who knows?
12-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sluggo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ames, Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 749
That's the spirit!

edit - also, my apologies for missing the 'F' specifier in your original post. I don't know whether the F50/1.7 shares the same design weakness with the A version. As you note, they are both excellent optically. I sometimes shoot the old M version, which I got more or less for free when buying an old film camera.
12-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 245
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
That's the spirit!

edit - also, my apologies for missing the 'F' specifier in your original post. I don't know whether the F50/1.7 shares the same design weakness with the A version. As you note, they are both excellent optically. I sometimes shoot the old M version, which I got more or less for free when buying an old film camera.
I've had the m version too, mechanically the best. I've sold it in favor of the A version and I've acquired the F version, too! I know, total addiction! But in my opinion it' s the best 50mm lens! It's got character: the most equilibrated bokeh, smooth but well definied, crazy sharpness and flat field, great colors, extreme resistance to flare, a poor's man limited! I have the 55mm star lens but I prefer this one! And I have, or tried many fifty: rikenon 50mm f2, pentacon 50mm f1.8, revuenon 50mm f1.4, helios 58mm, fujinon 55mm f2.2...
12-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,612
I got my "F" version new with my then brand new Pentax SF1n, my first AF SLR camera body. Back around 1990, I think. I still continued to use my very dear ME Supers, also having bought new with the M 50mm f/1.4, when wanting to go compact. Those camera bodies are gone, but the lenses I still have. So far no issues with mine, thank goodness! The "F" 50mm f/1.7 is everything you say it is. A great value, and great performance, even wide open.

12-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 245
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I got my "F" version new with my then brand new Pentax SF1n, my first AF SLR camera body. Back around 1990, I think. I still continued to use my very dear ME Supers, also having bought new with the M 50mm f/1.4, when wanting to go compact. Those camera bodies are gone, but the lenses I still have. So far no issues with mine, thank goodness! The "F" 50mm f/1.7 is everything you say it is. A great value, and great performance, even wide open.
I know that isn't hard to find a good fifty and I know that a lens doesn't make you a photographer but to me this lens is really special!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm f1.7 aperture, aperture, camera, dslr, pentax f 50mm, photography, smc pentax, wobbles
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera lens wobbles at the end. Screws missing? JeanBaezSLR Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 06-26-2018 07:27 AM
[Asking]SMC Pentax K 50mm f1/4 VS Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 VS Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 ? liemjerry Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 07-08-2015 04:23 PM
Aperture ring or no aperture ring hjoseph7 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 12-02-2014 03:06 PM
Pentax 18-55mm da wr wobbles Captmatt Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 02-07-2012 06:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top