Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smc Pentax f 50mm f1.7 aperture ring wobbles

Hello! My aperture ring from my lens wobbles quite a bit... There's no impact on functionality as I can manually and successfully switch between A setting and all manual apertures... Should I be worried? Should I buy the fa version instead? Thank you!

Last edited by zburatoru; 12-28-2018 at 10:59 AM.
12-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If it works it works. I'd just leave it on the A setting unless you're doing something that requires manual control.
12-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If it works it works. I'd just leave it on the A setting unless you're doing something that requires manual control.
Thank you!
12-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The A50/1.7 does have a tendency for plastic bits of the aperture mechanism to break internally.

Read this thread for one example.

Yes it can be fixed, but it can also be ruined in the attempt, depending on your skills. As ZombieArmy says, best to leave it in auto mode if you can; otherwise you might find it breaks worse at some point while you are turning the ring and won't let you put it back in auto; and then the repair becomes mandatory.

12-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
The A50/1.7 does have a tendency for plastic bits of the aperture mechanism to break internally.

Read this thread for one example.

Yes it can be fixed, but it can also be ruined in the attempt, depending on your skills. As ZombieArmy says, best to leave it in auto mode if you can; otherwise you might find it breaks worse at some point while you are turning the ring and won't let you put it back in auto; and then the repair becomes mandatory.
Thank you! I love this lens, I have the A variant too... This F version that I have has very clean optics and really delivers as I knew it would! So, I let it like this and if shit happen, I could buy and fa version, who knows?
12-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the spirit!

edit - also, my apologies for missing the 'F' specifier in your original post. I don't know whether the F50/1.7 shares the same design weakness with the A version. As you note, they are both excellent optically. I sometimes shoot the old M version, which I got more or less for free when buying an old film camera.
12-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
That's the spirit!

edit - also, my apologies for missing the 'F' specifier in your original post. I don't know whether the F50/1.7 shares the same design weakness with the A version. As you note, they are both excellent optically. I sometimes shoot the old M version, which I got more or less for free when buying an old film camera.
I've had the m version too, mechanically the best. I've sold it in favor of the A version and I've acquired the F version, too! I know, total addiction! But in my opinion it' s the best 50mm lens! It's got character: the most equilibrated bokeh, smooth but well definied, crazy sharpness and flat field, great colors, extreme resistance to flare, a poor's man limited! I have the 55mm star lens but I prefer this one! And I have, or tried many fifty: rikenon 50mm f2, pentacon 50mm f1.8, revuenon 50mm f1.4, helios 58mm, fujinon 55mm f2.2...
12-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I got my "F" version new with my then brand new Pentax SF1n, my first AF SLR camera body. Back around 1990, I think. I still continued to use my very dear ME Supers, also having bought new with the M 50mm f/1.4, when wanting to go compact. Those camera bodies are gone, but the lenses I still have. So far no issues with mine, thank goodness! The "F" 50mm f/1.7 is everything you say it is. A great value, and great performance, even wide open.

12-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I got my "F" version new with my then brand new Pentax SF1n, my first AF SLR camera body. Back around 1990, I think. I still continued to use my very dear ME Supers, also having bought new with the M 50mm f/1.4, when wanting to go compact. Those camera bodies are gone, but the lenses I still have. So far no issues with mine, thank goodness! The "F" 50mm f/1.7 is everything you say it is. A great value, and great performance, even wide open.
I know that isn't hard to find a good fifty and I know that a lens doesn't make you a photographer but to me this lens is really special!