Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

My poor K10D...

Well my K10D is broken, I am currently waiting until tomorrow for USAA to contact me about my claim since I have insurance on my camera equipment. I had a Tokina 80-200/2.8 lens attached and my camera bag clip came undone, bag hit the floor, the heavy lens and camera seperated and the 4 screw holes that hold the metal mount are competly stripped out. Hopefully I am convered and will just get a K20D now, sucks though since this camera only had about 1000 clicks on it...

Link to photos of the damage...

Zenfolio | C.M.Pritchett Photography | Pentax K10D Damage

09-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ouch Years ago I accidentally sat on my K1000 with a zoom on it; same thing happened though I got lucky and the cheap zoom's mounting ring stripped rather than the body.

Best of luck with the insurance.
09-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

you know... this isn't very nice thing to post now I'm going to have nightmares all week

anyway, I'm really sorry for your loss, and hope you'll get as much as you can out of insurance policy
09-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe you could use a press to flatten the mounting ring and then glue the screws back in.

09-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
If my insurance company allows me to keep the camera after they pay me for the claim I will try to fix it or have it fixed, I am sure some 2 part epoxy and a press at a mechanic shop could do the job but I dont know if it would be the same and the focus could be off...I guess we will see what happens.
09-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

photobizzz,

Did the screws go into plastic, or into metal?
If they went into plastic a plastic welder can probably help you out.
Or if they went into metal a machine shop can probably re-tap the holes.

Either way your camera should be functional in a couple of days
09-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The same accident happened to my friend's K20D several weeks back, and worse yet, he had a much heavier Tamron SP 300/2.8 mounted. The whole thing fell off from his tripod 'cause he loosed the quick release plate by accident (he wanted to tight the ballhead but ended up loosing the quick release plate instead, stupit ballhead design by Markin?).

The camera was sent in for repair, our local Pentax agent changed the body housing and lens mount plate for about $110USD nett. Not so bad but had to order spare part (the body housing) from Japan. Hope you'd have your camera fixed soon.

BTW, our Pentax dSLR camera bodies seem to be very strong and well built, but the connection between the body and metal lens mount plate is plastic! The screws go into plastic part instead of metal frame. That's the weakest part of the camera I think. Better be careful handling it when you have a heavy lens mounted.
10-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Does anyone have any idea what to do as my k10d seems to be completely dead?

The power didn't go on with the first battery, but usually it at least shows that the battery is empty. After that I tested with another one (which I know was empty) and the "empty battery" appeared for a split-second.

Now I've charged both batteries, but no life.
A defected battery and/or a short circuit, perhaps?
Or a dead power-switch?

I browsed through every possible Pentax-forum and those are the main causes for situations like this.

I'm so angry right now. Missed a great photo-opportunity yesterday because of this. And if there's something really wrong with the camera it will be gone at least for a month or so...

10-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The same accident happened to my friend's K20D several weeks back, and worse yet, he had a much heavier Tamron SP 300/2.8 mounted. The whole thing fell off from his tripod 'cause he loosed the quick release plate by accident (he wanted to tight the ballhead but ended up loosing the quick release plate instead, stupit ballhead design by Markin?).

The camera was sent in for repair, our local Pentax agent changed the body housing and lens mount plate for about $110USD nett. Not so bad but had to order spare part (the body housing) from Japan. Hope you'd have your camera fixed soon.

BTW, our Pentax dSLR camera bodies seem to be very strong and well built, but the connection between the body and metal lens mount plate is plastic! The screws go into plastic part instead of metal frame. That's the weakest part of the camera I think. Better be careful handling it when you have a heavy lens mounted.
Just a thought here, and maybe I am completely off the mark, BUT this is something for all of you to consider.

Is it just possible that the camera is specifically designed with this as the weak point?

In the past, I have dealt with many designs that are "frangible" i.e. designed to deliberately fracture at a specific point if hit,

This is to limit damage not only to the parts in question but in some instances what ever hits them. This is comon practice, for example in runway lighting equipment so that if an airplane hits the light the plane is not damaged seriously.
10-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photobizzz Quote
Well my K10D is broken, I am currently waiting until tomorrow for USAA to contact me about my claim since I have insurance on my camera equipment. I had a Tokina 80-200/2.8 lens attached and my camera bag clip came undone, bag hit the floor, the heavy lens and camera seperated and the 4 screw holes that hold the metal mount are competly stripped out. Hopefully I am convered and will just get a K20D now, sucks though since this camera only had about 1000 clicks on it...

Link to photos of the damage...

Zenfolio | C.M.Pritchett Photography | Pentax K10D Damage
Poor lil' bugga'. As someone who has destroyed two DSLRs, I sympathize. I think that knowing you just did something BAD that hurt one of your favorite possessions, and maybe a part of your livelihood might be the worst feeling there is. Best of luck, hope the insurance company is speedy!
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Minolta flash mounts are, in fact, designed to just break of instead of tearing apart the whole prism house etc.