Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
k10d advice on nite shoots

Hi there.Ive only had experience with portraits and landscapes.On Saturday nite ive been booked to do a shoot for belly dancers at the gay mardi gras.Has anyone got any suggestions on what settings i should use for a night time outdoor shoot.how to shoot subjects still and moving.Il be using a k10d and as back up i have a friend doin the shoot with me,hes got a cannon 350d.Im looking forward to comparing the results.Would appreciate any advice as id like to kick the cannons ass with image quality. Learnt alot about the k10d since ive had it but just havent done much night photography.

02-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done a lot of low loght shots at stage shows, but none yet with the K10D. All previous are with the *istD which I generally set to ISO3200, and used with 70-200mm f2.8 lens wide open.

I am not sure on the K10D whether ISO 1600 is enough, but I can recommend that if you want shots without flash, you need very fast lens.

I have raised the issue of no 3200 ISO setting with pentax and got a simple non response, they stated the "ISO range is 100-1600!" with no further comment
02-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
Hi there.Ive only had experience with portraits and landscapes.On Saturday nite ive been booked to do a shoot for belly dancers at the gay mardi gras.Has anyone got any suggestions on what settings i should use for a night time outdoor shoot.how to shoot subjects still and moving.Il be using a k10d and as back up i have a friend doin the shoot with me,hes got a cannon 350d.Im looking forward to comparing the results.Would appreciate any advice as id like to kick the cannons ass with image quality. Learnt alot about the k10d since ive had it but just havent done much night photography.
Which lens will you be using. I need to have this info to give you my advice.
02-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #4

Ben:
I know you've been shooting the 16-45 and I'd like to know how (or if) you've dealt with vignetting on high contrast subjects. I visited the Louvre exhibit at the High Museum in Atlanta last Saturday and took some great architectural shots of some of the buidlings surrounding the museum. Some of those exhibited clear vignetting when comped at 100% or higher around the sharp edges of the buildings (dark) against the sky (VERY bright blue). Your thoughts, kind sir? (I can e-mail you a sample if needed) I was shooting at ISO 100 and TaV mode.
BTW, ANYONE can jump in on this one! I was also shooting at approximately 45 degrees from the sun.
Rob W

02-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Were you in RAW?

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Ben:
I know you've been shooting the 16-45 and I'd like to know how (or if) you've dealt with vignetting on high contrast subjects. I visited the Louvre exhibit at the High Museum in Atlanta last Saturday and took some great architectural shots of some of the buidlings surrounding the museum. Some of those exhibited clear vignetting when comped at 100% or higher around the sharp edges of the buildings (dark) against the sky (VERY bright blue). Your thoughts, kind sir? (I can e-mail you a sample if needed) I was shooting at ISO 100 and TaV mode.
BTW, ANYONE can jump in on this one! I was also shooting at approximately 45 degrees from the sun.
Rob W
Did you shoot in RAW? If you did you can solve the problem in Camera RAW in PS. Do you mean CA? Send me the image and I'll have alook if you like.
02-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #6

Ben:
My bad! Yes, I meant CA! I always shoot RAW and am working on correcting it using that, but will send you the file after I get out of classes tonight.
Thanks,
Rob W
02-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi people,thnx for ur comments and advice.I shoot in jpeg best,with a Tamron 80-210mm lens.Had some pretty good results with day shots.Has anyone else used this lens ?