Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, based on some quick research, the company took years before it produced a camera

Pentax | Camerapedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/pentax/pentaxhistory/

PENTAX history timeline - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

the company was disbanded by the occupying forces after WW II and then reopened

Pentax - Wikipedia

03-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Addendum (few months later): I was curious about this lens this morning so I searched eBay for Dallmeyer and turned up a "F2.9 PENTAC F=6" lens. Looking at the photographs for the listing, it is marked PENTAC on the lens.
Another addendum: I found a webpage with more information re PENTAC lens that stated it was "designed by L. B. Booth for Dallmeyer and came to market in 1920. It is a 5 elements in three groups lens in the same design family as Voigtländer's Heliar. 8" Pentacs were made for the RAF during WWII by a number of lens plants. This particular lens was manufactured by the National Optical Company (N.O.C.) was a Taylor, Taylor, & Hobson daughter factory."

This seems to confirm that the 1933 and 1944 classified ads contained the same typographical error.
03-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Another addendum: I found a webpage with more information re PENTAC lens that stated it was "designed by L. B. Booth for Dallmeyer and came to market in 1920. It is a 5 elements in three groups lens in the same design family as Voigtländer's Heliar. 8" Pentacs were made for the RAF during WWII by a number of lens plants. This particular lens was manufactured by the National Optical Company (N.O.C.) was a Taylor, Taylor, & Hobson daughter factory."

This seems to confirm that the 1933 and 1944 classified ads contained the same typographical error.
I don't believe this had anything do to with Asahi Optical Company who was supplying the Japanese military at the same time - they were on opposite side from RAF.

Last edited by reh321; 03-27-2019 at 02:05 PM.
03-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't believe this had anything do to with Asahi Optical Company
It doesn't, which is why I posted the new finding and pointed out the typos in the classified ads.