Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

best way to use built in flash?

I have an external flash that I use in most cases I need a flash, but there are times where I don't have it, but need more light. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to use the built in flash on a k10d

09-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reason you get an external flash is for the versatility it gives you above the built in flash.
Bounce, swivel, diffuse, wireless control - the creativity options are endless with external flash.

So the only situations I'd be happy leaving my external flash at home is when I'm sure I'll only need flash jut for a little bit of front fill lighting.

But then again, I've kicked myself a couple of times when I thought I wouldn't want the external flash and then found it would have been very useful...
09-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find the default exposure far too harsh, and have -0.5 flash compensation dialed in normally, and I'll take this down to -1.0 too.

I have one of those $10 Lumiquest Soft Screens that takes up no room whatsoever in the bag and weighs nothing too. It works only marginally better than nothing, though.

If I don't mind a bit of trial and error and have a reasonably fast (f/2.8 or so) lens on, I can use a piece of white paper directly in front of the flash, angled up, as a bouncer. if i get lucky, the light bounced up to the ceiling and down will be just enough to light the subject nicely at f/2.8. If I'm not lucky, I just end up casting a shadow across my subject and temporarily blind myself in the process.

Normally, though, I'm happier shooting high ISO with a fast lens and skipping the flash.
09-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I made a diffuser out of a translucent 35mm film can (Fuji type). I throw this in the bag when I'm traveling light. IMHO the onboard flash is suitable only as an emergency short distance fill flash and only when diffused. Otherwise the results are very harsh and often have the required detail blown out. Dave

09-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #5

BEST WAY TO USE BUILT-IN FLASH: Closed.
09-30-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i for one would also like to know which diffuser would be best for the built-in popup flash. while i do know how much better an external flash is (coming from a full nikon system), i would like to go around with the K20D + pancakes only most of the time and just use the popup flash for those moments i need a bit more light.

there's the lumiquest, and there are some DIY ones like the film canister: Matt Greer Photography: DIY Lighting Equipment

i hope someone can comment on their experience with these thingies for the built-in flash
09-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use a diffuser made from a small section of a plastic milk bottle, which is similar to the film can when connected. When not in use, it's flat and takes up no room in the bag. It's on page 2 on this link https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/34642-diffuser-...-up-flash.html. Works a treat.

09-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
BEST WAY TO USE BUILT-IN FLASH: Closed.
OR! to trigger an off-camera flash!
10-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmmmmm - Playing the devils advocate - I use my onboard flash (no diffuser) a lot for subtle fill in flash.

Two photo's in my gallery (granddaughter) were taken with just this flash for fill on an overcast day as was the Guinea Fowl.

Obviously you will need a larger flash if more coverage is required but with a little practice you can achieve very nice results with just the onboard flash.(within its limitations)

d