Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Anyone use a Nikon F or S mount to Pentax K mount adapter for manual or AF/AE lenses?

Some third party lenses are made in Nikon mount that are either not available in Pentax K mount or are significantly less expensive. Some older Nikon F mount classic lenses and Sigma APO classics are readily found for a song in Nikon mount. Anyone do this? I shoot TAV or Manual 95% of the time so the AE or AF isn't that important, but AF would be nice sometime. Often hard to find Pentax glass or third party in Pentax K that isn't requiring financing.

Just wondering.

JB

01-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I changed the mount on a Sigma 100-300/4 Nikon lens. The chip and/or the motor was completely dead on it, and my D300s wouldn't take a photo even manual focused and camera set at M.
Simply took off the original mount and put on a M-42-K adapter. I got a nice MF Sigma 100-300. It mounts like K lenses but allows stop down metering like M42 lenses. I use Av model and got accurate exposure.
I sometime put a 1.7x AFA adapter and use it in semi-AF way. Works well if light is good.
01-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are cheap optically corrected abdaptors to mount virtually any lens to PK. I have Nikon A and Canon FD to Pentax. The optical correction works like a cheap teleconverter with 1.27x magnification for Nikon and 1.45 X for canon. The difference in magnification is due to the difference in registration distances. You give up 1/2 to 1 stop, and field of view so not really a good idea for other than telephoto. Also the Adaptors are really bad for blooming on fast lenses
01-07-2019, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you really want to use those lenses get a cheap Nikon body...

01-07-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Non ai lenses will mount directly. They don't turn far and only work manual aperture and focus. They can be modified to lock or the mount can be changed. All without optical changes.

---------- Post added 01-07-19 at 08:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Probably a better solution for most uses.
01-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not all nikons will actually let you shoot with legacy lenses, even though they mount, and even if you can shoot they don't give any metering options, their flagship bodies were an exception to this, but the cheap bodies didn't offer backwards compatibility,

Nikon was secure enough in the market, that for armatures wanting to step up to digital they did not care, bout those who had a lot of really high end MF glass needed an out, which is why the flagship cameras would let them shoot with manual lenses
01-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not all nikons will actually let you shoot with legacy lenses, even though they mount, and even if you can shoot they don't give any metering options, their flagship bodies were an exception to this, but the cheap bodies didn't offer backwards compatibility,

Nikon was secure enough in the market, that for armatures wanting to step up to digital they did not care, bout those who had a lot of really high end MF glass needed an out, which is why the flagship cameras would let them shoot with manual lenses
So you can't use the low-end Nikons. But older AI compatible bodies aren't all that expensive...You can get a D700 (not a flagship but AI lens compatible) for less than $400...You can get a D7000 for less than $300...

01-09-2019, 04:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My old Nikon 105/2.5 lens works well in manual mode with adapter on my KP.
01-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you can't use the low-end Nikons. But older AI compatible bodies aren't all that expensive...You can get a D700 (not a flagship but AI lens compatible) for less than $400...You can get a D7000 for less than $300...
I won't dispute this, and for me, as a long time Pentax shooter, I was clearly more Interested in Pentax compatibility. I only looked at Nikon and Adaptors briefly when I considered what to do with my mothers old Nikon FE and her lenses, but none were worth really considering using.

I did however happen upon an old Nikkor-H 300/4.5 for $30 which I successfully converted to M42. It actually works quite well
01-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No adapter needed for old Nikkor 105mm F2.5, mine mounts directly onto my Pentax bodies, just crooked, and not locked but snug enough that I'm not concerned about it falling off.

Presumably, early third-party lenses should mount the same way?

Lots of discussions in an existing thread here. Some pics I've taken with it are on this page:
The Nikkor Lens Club! - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
01-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks folks.

I am not interested in more bodies that are not Pentax. I have 5 Pentax DSLR bodies, along with a Pentax ESII, a Fujica and a Minolta (SLR) bodies. I ran across a Nikon 500mm f4 F mount manual focus lens in nice shape for less than the Pentax 500mm f4.5 SMC K mount manuals offered around the internet. I was just wondering if I could mate it up with an adaptor. It is supposed to be a fine lens for its day. I found some Sigma 500mm APO lenses also. Just trying to not pay what Pentax A* 300mm f2.8 and Pentax teleconverters in real good shape are going for these days.

Thanks for all your input. Thats what I like about this forum, you can get great input without being clobbered in the process.

JB
01-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
Thanks folks.

I am not interested in more bodies that are not Pentax. I have 5 Pentax DSLR bodies, along with a Pentax ESII, a Fujica and a Minolta (SLR) bodies. I ran across a Nikon 500mm f4 F mount manual focus lens in nice shape for less than the Pentax 500mm f4.5 SMC K mount manuals offered around the internet. I was just wondering if I could mate it up with an adaptor. It is supposed to be a fine lens for its day. I found some Sigma 500mm APO lenses also. Just trying to not pay what Pentax A* 300mm f2.8 and Pentax teleconverters in real good shape are going for these days.

Thanks for all your input. Thats what I like about this forum, you can get great input without being clobbered in the process.

JB

With that as the context, I'd say you have some choices.

1) mount the camera to the large telephoto using the "twist and pray" method. This only works with non-ai lenses, unless you modify the Nikon. The lens can be shimmed if you want to try to get focus distances to match up.

2) if you can find one, the Adaptist mm+ mount replacement is a good option. Pentax K+ Multi Mount - Adaptist. (note: the mount is specific to weather resistant and non resistant and except for the k-500 which uses the wr type. Also using these mounts doesn't preserve wr.

3) leitax convert the Nikon mount.
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

---------- Post added 01-14-19 at 09:18 AM ----------

Assuming the lens has a tripod ring and is used from a trpoI think method one or two could be reasonable a try. Option 3 is an excellent choice when only a couple of lenses need this.
05-26-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
No adapter needed for old Nikkor 105mm F2.5, mine mounts directly onto my Pentax bodies, just crooked, and not locked but snug enough that I'm not concerned about it falling off.

Presumably, early third-party lenses should mount the same way?

Lots of discussions in an existing thread here. Some pics I've taken with it are on this page:
The Nikkor Lens Club! - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
you just saved me money. i just received a k5 yesterday and was about to buy a pentax-m lens. i just mounted my nikkor 105mm f2.5 ai directly without problems
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 

Last edited by zzzxtreme; 05-26-2019 at 04:44 PM.
05-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzzxtreme Quote
you just saved me money. i just received a k5 yesterday and was about to buy a pentax-m lens. i just mounted my nikkor 105mm f2.5 ai directly without problems
Awesome!

I mostly used mine on my K-5 but I have used it a couple times on my K-1 with pretty good success. I have a surplus of 105mm (Super Tak and Lester A Dine as well as the Nikkor) so I don't use it as much as I might otherwise.

05-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzzxtreme Quote

!bleep! ... it never occurred to me that a Nikon lens would even fit a Pentax, let alone work, but it does. Just tried my charity-shop special Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 (£5 with a buckled filter thread) and it fit's with infinity focus! OK, the mount isn't totally secure, I may not want to walk around with it fitted, but this opens up a whole new field of lens acquisition that I didn't know existed