Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax K100DS and Olympus E510 were the last two cameras on my short list. I chose Pentax because of increased dynamic range, lower noise at high ISO, better viewfinder and more favourable pricing (cameras and lenses).

I often shoot wildlife, and sometimes I envy the 600mm equivalent reach of the Zuiko 70-300mm, but I couldn't give up the above advantages just for reach. Now that I have a K20D I can crop DA 55-300's 450mm equivalent images harder, which makes up somewhat.

10-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Don't get both!

QuoteOriginally posted by deadpink Quote
I am currently looking to get rid of my aging Lumix fz20 digital zoom and get my first DSLR. I am considering Olympus & Pentax. To date my pics are mostly landscape & architecture ( no wildlife, long zoom or inclement weather work ) however I have been appraoched by some models asking to help build their portfolios which is a direction I really want to move into as well as the above. I have a limited budget of maybe 1,000usd to work with at best. I know about the Oly options available to me and it looks very nice in terms of quality, etc ( E-520 based system ) and would like advice on a Pentax based system like would k200d be a good platform to start with kit lens, maybe the 50mm 1.4 for portrait work or ? Any advice is greatly appreciated......
For landscape, the 4/3 small sensor format would be out! It always loses in terms of more resolution. Moreover, the landscape photos look less 3d. Full frame camera is the best, APS-C is worse and 4/3 is the worst!

Pentax is particularly not suitable for landscape owing to its very underexposure tendency and nature for landscape shots and wider angle lenses. If taking architecture shooting into account, Canon and Nikon on the other hand have tilt and shift lenses, whilst there is no such thing in the Pentax land.

Consider C and N and save money for a T&S lens if you may some days later need it.
10-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Pentax K100DS and Olympus E510 were the last two cameras on my short list. I chose Pentax because of increased dynamic range, lower noise at high ISO, better viewfinder and more favourable pricing (cameras and lenses).

I often shoot wildlife, and sometimes I envy the 600mm equivalent reach of the Zuiko 70-300mm, but I couldn't give up the above advantages just for reach. Now that I have a K20D I can crop DA 55-300's 450mm equivalent images harder, which makes up somewhat.
K100D does not have any adequate resolution for landscape IMHO and the difference is huge when compared with my 12.8MP Canon 5D.

If you have to buy into the Pentax system, wait for the K-m or the bigger K200D, which is sold damn cheap right now. I think 10MP is just the basic starting point by today's standard.
10-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
For landscape, the 4/3 small sensor format would be out! It always loses in terms of more resolution.
Yeah, but I think for most purposes, it's still good enough. As is APS-C. As is FF, which of course isn't as big as medium format. Which of course isn't as big as ....

QuoteQuote:
Pentax is particularly not suitable for landscape owing to its very underexposure tendency
If you know how to use the camera, you can get any exposure you want, just as is the case with all other brands.

QuoteQuote:
If taking architecture shooting into account, Canon and Nikon on the other hand have tilt and shift lenses, whilst there is no such thing in the Pentax land.
There most certainly are - none in current production, but plenty of them out there, and they are available used on a fairly regular basis.

10-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you know how to use the camera, you can get any exposure you want, just as is the case with all other brands.
Really? Do you mean that the Pentax users all need to compensate their DSLRs crazily like what DPR were required to do with the K20D? Why need to deal with the troubles and why waste the shooting time and missed the photo opportunities??

Last but not least, as seen from the simple survey of DPR gallery photos above, just mind you that NOT all brands are EQUAL!
10-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

There most certainly are - none in current production, but plenty of them out there, and they are available used on a fairly regular basis.
Nope. Nikon just has a new T&S lens marketed and Canon has T&S lens in current production. Just check it out if unconvinced.
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Really? Do you mean that the Pentax users all need to compensate their DSLRs crazily like what DPR were required to do with the K20D? Why need to deal with the troubles and why waste the shooting time and missed the photo opportunities??

Last but not least, as seen from the simple survey of DPR gallery photos above, just mind you that NOT all brands are EQUAL!
WHEW! The past few days I was thinking that RH had lost his senses - posting pics and complimenting Pentax. I'm glad to see you've regained your form.
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Really? Do you mean that the Pentax users all need to compensate their DSLRs crazily
No. I mean if you know what you are pointing your camera at and have a sense of whether it is something that you want to come out something a little darker than middle-value gray as the ISO standards for metering suggest it should, then you'll know the exposure is what you want. If you know the thing you are pointing at is supposed to come out lighter, you know you need to increase exposure, and vice versa if you want it darker. If you've got a scene with a range of values, and you use the meter to tell you where the darker and lighter areas are and how much they differ in value and set the exposure at an appropriate point between those extremes, you get an exposure that reflects. Every time, without fail.

In other words, if you understand how metering and exposure works and know how to use a DSLR rather than expecting it to work like a P&S, you'll find that it is does in fact behave exactly as expected.

On the other hand, if your understanding of exposure is so limited that you imagine the need to apply exposure compensation means the camera has a fault, then indeed, you'll constantly be flummoxed with Pentax DSLRs.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 10-02-2008 at 08:31 PM.
10-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Nope. Nikon just has a new T&S lens marketed and Canon has T&S lens in current production. Just check it out if unconvinced.
I would have thought it obvious from the context that when I said none in production, I meant for Pentax. None in production, but plenty available. So for the <1% of photographers who might care about tilt/shift lenses, you need not go to Nikon or Canon to get them.
10-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have thought it obvious from the context that when I said none in production, I meant for Pentax. None in production, but plenty available. So for the <1% of photographers who might care about tilt/shift lenses, you need not go to Nikon or Canon to get them.
Yes, Mark. I totally agree. I understood what you were trying to say instantly. Of course, people will ignore intended meanings if it goes against agenda.
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks everyone!
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to mention that the two latest Nikon tilt/shift lenses are useless for landscape work, and even worse for architectural use. They are 45 and 85 mm lenses. Even on an FX camera, the field of view is way too narrow to be of any use for these two purposes. They can only be designed for use in product shooting, as far as I can guess. (Not far, by the way).

I have not seen recent releases on Canon tilt/shift lenses, but I think I remember them having some that were wider. Let's face it, 16mm is about the longest focal length for landscape and architectural images that would be of any use whatsoever on APS-C sensors, 24mm on the full 35mm image frame. A 12mm for my k10d would be even better.
10-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Let's face it, 16mm is about the longest focal length for landscape and architectural images that would be of any use whatsoever on APS-C sensors
I assume you mean, the longest focal length for which tilt/shift functionality might be interesting. Certainly plenty of great landscape opportunities exist at longer focal lengths. Most of mine is done in the 24-45 range on APS-C.
10-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Not to mention that the two latest Nikon tilt/shift lenses are useless for landscape work, and even worse for architectural use. They are 45 and 85 mm lenses. Even on an FX camera, the field of view is way too narrow to be of any use for these two purposes. They can only be designed for use in product shooting, as far as I can guess. (Not far, by the way).

I have not seen recent releases on Canon tilt/shift lenses, but I think I remember them having some that were wider. Let's face it, 16mm is about the longest focal length for landscape and architectural images that would be of any use whatsoever on APS-C sensors, 24mm on the full 35mm image frame. A 12mm for my k10d would be even better.
I wonder - can you make panos from pictures taken by T&S lens or it is impossible (or not supported by existing software) ? if it is possible and supported then what is the problem - you use tripod anyways for a serious landscape work.. stich 'em.
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume you mean, the longest focal length for which tilt/shift functionality might be interesting. Certainly plenty of great landscape opportunities exist at longer focal lengths. Most of mine is done in the 24-45 range on APS-C.
Yes, thanks Mark. I was unclear. I was thinking only in terms of tile/shift on APS-C sensors.