Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,508
My observation has been that the K-5 series also tends to under-expose very slightly, but not near as much as the previous K20D and K200D. Maybe 1/3 stop. It is so marginal I don't always compensate for it, depending on the lighting, the scene, and/or the effect I am looking for. A very minor thing. In fact, in well-lit scenes it may produce colors a bit richer from this effect.

The KP, the K-S2, and the little K-r I had before replacing it with the K-S2, do not do this.

01-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 177
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. Really satisfied with the camera and expanded my lens collection since its arrival to include:
- DA 21 f/3.2
- DA 40 f/2.8
- DFA 100 f/2.8 Macro

One thing I noticed was the slow write times, specially when previewing an image. I did some research and re-formatted the card (new SanDisk Extreme Pro), confirmed current firmware, reset settings to default, made sure all in camera settings were off (eg: Lens Correction, Distortion, etc.), double checked that Expanded ISO was off (cool feature, btw...). I shoot in RAW DNG only and have now dropped from Continuous High to Continuous Low (thinking that the extra image or so might be contributing to the delay).

My last theory could be the JPEG settings of 16MB / 4 Star Quality factoring into the preview display.
01-22-2019, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,385
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
(new SanDisk Extreme Pro),
This may be a red herring, Sutherland, but I swapped out my two SanDisk Extreme Pros on my K-1 for Toshibas and everything's quick for me now.
01-23-2019, 12:20 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This may be a red herring, Sutherland, but I swapped out my two SanDisk Extreme Pros on my K-1 for Toshibas and everything's quick for me now.
I made the switch from the SanDisk to Lexar and saw a big improvement in write speed with my cameras.

01-23-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 331
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This may be a red herring, Sutherland, but I swapped out my two SanDisk Extreme Pros on my K-1 for Toshibas and everything's quick for me now.
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I made the switch from the SanDisk to Lexar and saw a big improvement in write speed with my cameras.
I've wondered how much practical speed improvement I'd find by going to faster memory cards such as Sony at 299mps. Or is it like high octane gas in an engine designed for regular; not much difference?
01-23-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've wondered how much practical speed improvement I'd find by going to faster memory cards such as Sony at 299mps. Or is it like high octane gas in an engine designed for regular; not much difference?
I saw a big difference with my K3 and an even larger difference with the K-1. YMMV
01-23-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,537
these threads might be helpful

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com
01-23-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 177
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've wondered how much practical speed improvement I'd find by going to faster memory cards such as Sony at 299mps. Or is it like high octane gas in an engine designed for regular; not much difference?
Yea, I was wondering the same. My 30GB SDHC U3 SanDisk Extreme Pros both handle well above the write capabilities of the K-5ii and both were purchased from Adorama (as there are fakes circulating).

I think I will try out the Samsung EVO Plus / Select (Amazon exclusive branding) and see if there is an observed improvement.

01-25-2019, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian
MJKoski's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,282
I recommend pairing KP with the official grip as D-LI90 really boosts the operating time for one charge. 35mm Macro ltd is about as perfect as it gets when mounted on KP - it reaches K-1 output quality when shot in pixel-shift mode. I find KP + 35mm Macro quite comparable to K-1 + Zeiss 50mm Makro Planar.
01-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,508
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
Thanks for the tips. Really satisfied with the camera and expanded my lens collection since its arrival to include:
- DA 21 f/3.2
- DA 40 f/2.8
- DFA 100 f/2.8 Macro

One thing I noticed was the slow write times, specially when previewing an image. I did some research and re-formatted the card (new SanDisk Extreme Pro), confirmed current firmware, reset settings to default, made sure all in camera settings were off (eg: Lens Correction, Distortion, etc.), double checked that Expanded ISO was off (cool feature, btw...). I shoot in RAW DNG only and have now dropped from Continuous High to Continuous Low (thinking that the extra image or so might be contributing to the delay).

My last theory could be the JPEG settings of 16MB / 4 Star Quality factoring into the preview display.
Very fine lens selection. An FA 35mm f/2 would fit in there very nicely also. In the future, if you should feel the practical need for a good zoom lens having WR and exceptionally fast, quiet, accurate AF, the DA 18-135mm delivers on all counts, and does so with the K-5 series. Very good to excellent image quality, especially in the central frame area throughout its very wide, versatile zoom range. Even very good edge-to-edge at its shorter end. Very well-built also, and yet compact. I recently used this lens to shoot a wrestling match, and before that a baptism in a church. Fine results from my K-5 for the wrestling, and K-5 IIs for the baptism.

The 4-star JPEG quality is one of the unique features of the K-5 series. Less compression of JPEG files, that much closer to RAW, possibly better dynamic range, and in any post process editing, more latitude for adjustments. I've never noticed a difference in writing time, but could be. I would think RAW files being larger could also affect this.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
300mm, buffer, camera, d500, dslr, f/4, forum, kp, output, pentax, photography, pnw, scenario
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP Overheating? To KP or not... MrStupid Pentax KP 28 07-12-2018 09:50 PM
Amazing KP deal at Jessops! KP and 18-50 for 599 Jeff Pentax Price Watch 25 07-10-2018 12:59 PM
comprar una KP o pasarme al formato compreto (Buy a KP or switch to the full format)? mariovidal Pentax KP 5 06-29-2018 05:45 AM
Why Pentax KP? Para que la Pentax KP? ZeaFoto Pentax KP 16 06-14-2018 08:53 AM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-04-2018 09:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top