Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The KP and a 21 should be a delightful combo. I liked my copy by sold it (along with my da40 limited) with no regrets except maybe for size for my 20-40 limited.

I shoot raw+jpeg on the KP because the jpegs are often more than good enough up to 3200iso, and I then have raw files to work with if I really need it. The KP’s raw files are staggeringly good coming from the already pretty good K-30.
Agreed. I think with the KP in a general setting, I will opt for shooting Raw. If I use it in a wildlife/birds scenario, I'll probably opt for jpeg in interest of the buffer but who knows, I've used cameras with lower buffers before and typically shoot in bursts, reinitiating AF, between each series of three or so. It's likely that I will not hit the buffer in Raw.

01-09-2019, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
Thanks for the responses!

Just a note, I do not intend on using the DA 21 with the KP for hiking. If I went the KP route, I would only take the 300mm F/4 as it would be used for birds/wildlife.

The DA 21 is for everything else, of which I prefer that 28mm focal length (DA 21 is in the ball park).
That is likely to be my choice, instead of waiting for a "K3 replacement" as I already own the DA*300/4 (for birding primarily), used with the K3; so I guess your choice would be in line with my own thoughts!
01-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is likely to be my choice, instead of waiting for a "K3 replacement" as I already own the DA*300/4 (for birding primarily), used with the K3; so I guess your choice would be in line with my own thoughts!
Yea, I was waiting for a K-3II replacement as well and ultimately moved to the D500. I still miss my K-3II. The IQ was better. Shooting with the D500, I have learned that although FPS/Acquisition gives me a leg-up, ultimately technique and understanding the species is the best advantage one could have.

I am excited to get the KP in my hands.
01-10-2019, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #19

Photos: Gallery
I have the exact setup you are talking about. The 21mm on the KP fits in a fairly small camera bag, so it's what I always have with me. I love the focal length and compact size for a walking around lens. If I'm hiking I swap the 21mm out for the DA* 300/4. When I do that I also carry the K-S2 with a wider lens.

The DA* 300/4 is great for perched birds and plants. Subject isolation is really nice and f/4 is fast enough for me paired with the high ISO capabilities of the KP.

The KP produces amazing raw files. It's been a huge leap for me from any previous camera body. They hold up really well to processing. I don't got full HDR with mine, but there is so much more room to make adjustments.

Ergonomically the KP is great for my hands with the large grips. Having aperture, ISO and exposure compensation all controlled by dials is huge!

Good luck with your decision!

01-13-2019, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #20

Original Poster
A little change in plans:

Purchased a 8,000 shutter count K-5IIs off of the bay and now looking for a used DA 21mm to compliment it. There was actually a consignment K-5IIs at the local store and I was impressed by the following:
- the compact body size
- the weight/feel in hands
- the surfaced controls for metering mode, focus points (although I typically use Center Weighted and Single Point)

As a nod to the Ricoh GRII, I like the ability to switch it to MF and use the focus ring on the DA 21 as a make-shift snap focus.

The KP was tempting, but I knew that I would be extremely tempted by the new APSC Flagship and saw the K-5IIs as a smarter purchase. About 90% of my photography is wildlife, the remaining 10% (and hopefully growing) will be this new Street/Landscape kit that I built up (K-5iis and DA 21).
01-13-2019, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
A little change in plans:

Purchased a 8,000 shutter count K-5IIs off of the bay and now looking for a used DA 21mm to compliment it. There was actually a consignment K-5IIs at the local store and I was impressed by the following:
- the compact body size
- the weight/feel in hands
- the surfaced controls for metering mode, focus points (although I typically use Center Weighted and Single Point)

As a nod to the Ricoh GRII, I like the ability to switch it to MF and use the focus ring on the DA 21 as a make-shift snap focus.

The KP was tempting, but I knew that I would be extremely tempted by the new APSC Flagship and saw the K-5IIs as a smarter purchase. About 90% of my photography is wildlife, the remaining 10% (and hopefully growing) will be this new Street/Landscape kit that I built up (K-5iis and DA 21).
Congratulations. I don't think anyone could be other than delighted with the K-5IIs, and at 8k shutter count it's a baby The DA21 will pair with it beautifully. Let us know how you get on?
01-13-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice purchase. The K5 form factor was one of the best.

01-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congratulations. I don't think anyone could be other than delighted with the K-5IIs, and at 8k shutter count it's a baby The DA21 will pair with it beautifully. Let us know how you get on?
Will definitely do so! Scooped up the DA21 from the Forum Marketplace. I'm also happy to see that the K-5IIs also is compatible with the 300mm f/4 in case I decide to expand the kit if the condition/price is right.
01-14-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Tess still shoots her K-5. She's never seen a reason to upgrade.
01-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #25

Original Poster
K-5IIs arrived! Still waiting for the arrival of the DA 21mm f/3.2 and DA 40mm f/2.8.

Appears to be a VERY clean copy, but noticed some scratches on the Focusing Screen. Ordered a new divided matte Focusing Screen, as I find it to be far more helpful with focal lengths purchased.
01-20-2019, 05:24 PM - 4 Likes   #26

Original Poster
Snapped my first pictures with the K-5IIs and DA 40 f/2.8 combo.

01-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Very nice, contrasty B+W photos with your new equipment. I have a K-5 and a 21mm/ 40 and 70 Limiteds...great combo. Sharp pix and I find my 40 Ltd...really has a unique look to the photos, when I use this lens.
01-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice, contrasty B+W photos with your new equipment. I have a K-5 and a 21mm/ 40 and 70 Limiteds...great combo. Sharp pix and I find my 40 Ltd...really has a unique look to the photos, when I use this lens.
Thanks! I really like this combo and the quality of the lens in build and in output is really nice.
01-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although having and now primarily shooting with the KP, which I love, I am still extremely fond of my K-5 IIs, which I bought new in a great closeout deal when the first K-3 came onto the shelves. It has a great set of controls and layout, and great ergonomics. It also has a deeper buffer than the KP. So when I need its advantages, it is so good I have no hesitation in employing it. I also have the optional battery grip for it, I believe being the same one as the K-3, which can allow using AA lithium batteries if I've let my other batteries run low. Image quality is still excellent, even now!

I hope you will enjoy your K-5 IIs as much as I do mine! For excellent results with out-of-camera shots, the advice regarding adding "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus still goes with this model. In fact, with this one, I also increase sharpening level to +2 from mid-point. With the K-5 series, you can access the Custom Image categories and menus directly via the button to the right of the ok button on the rear. Then the 4 buttons around the ok button become navigational. In the"Bright" category, sharpening is up by+1 by default, so I just increased it by 1 more, then added an F by the S with the thumb dial to implement "Fine Sharpening". This will provide even better fine detail in your images. The camera set to the "Bright" category is very good for most scenarios.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-20-2019 at 09:02 PM.
01-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Although having and now primarily shooting with the KP, which I love, I am still extremely fond of my K-5 IIs, which I bought new in a great closeout deal when the first K-3 came onto the shelves. It has a great set of controls and layout, and great ergonomics. It also has a deeper buffer than the KP. So when I need its advantages, it is so good I have no hesitation in employing it. I also have the optional battery grip for it, I believe being the same one as the K-3, which can allow using AA lithium batteries if I've let my other batteries run low. Image quality is still excellent, even now!

I hope you will enjoy your K-5 IIs as much as I do mine! For excellent results with out-of-camera shots, the advice regarding adding "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus still goes with this model. In fact, with this one, I also increase sharpening level to +2 from mid-point. With the K-5 series, you can access the Custom Image categories and menus directly via the button to the right of the ok button on the rear. Then the 4 buttons around the ok button become navigational. In the"Bright" category, sharpening is up by+1 by default, so I just increased it by 1 more, then added an F by the S with the thumb dial to implement "Fine Sharpening". This will provide even better fine detail in your images. The camera set to the "Bright" category is very good for most scenarios.
Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and applied the same settings to my K-5IIs and will give it a spin.