Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Using a MF, perched on a tripod generally slows me down, oftentimes providing a better image than I would of got with the ease and convenience a smaller, lighter, possibly some may say...more user friendly ASP-C/Full Frame camera body.
The ease of use , hand held, would be the reason why photographers tend to click and think, rather than think and click. Also, I've just realized that for landscape photography, the larger the sensor the higher the f-stop, and the slower the shutter speed to maintain low ISO: medium format requires to use a tripod more often, which involves slowing down and taking more care of the composition and lighting.

01-31-2019, 11:58 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Interesting thought, BE, do you conclude anything looking at this forum's K-1 and MF Post Your Picture threads?
A come back to this topic. IMO, camera forums are so much axed on equipment that the research on visualization, composition and light is mostly very poor. In order to progress in photography, I need to detach from equipment focused thinking.
01-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In order to progress in photography, I need to detach from equipment focused thinking.
I am trying to do the same. As a professional engineer/scientist, I'm afraid that I tend to focus too much on the technicalities of photography. I think that I'm very adept at picking a flaw in an individual pixel...

So, I'm trying to concentrate on the 'soft' aspects of the art of photography. I'm happy with my APS-C kit, which seems to produce good results at the moment, providing I pay attention to lighting, composition, exposure, perspective, and so on.

On the other hand... maybe that new HD DA* 11-18mm lens might improve my images significantly... haha.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-31-2019 at 01:06 PM.
02-01-2019, 03:39 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A come back to this topic. IMO, camera forums are so much axed on equipment that the research on visualization, composition and light is mostly very poor. In order to progress in photography, I need to detach from equipment focused thinking.
I have found Michael Freeman's books, the Photographer's Eye, etc to be quite helpful in this respect.

Unfortunately, I think that Forums are always focused on the technical aspect of things. There are still plenty of threads where people post images, some of them very good, but not much critique going on (probably for the best if people don't ask for it, they probably don't want it).