Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-M is a travel dslr

The K-M is about the same size as a DS, so nothing new in that department, though granted it is much lighter. But just as important as size and weight are the grip ergonomics (I felt quite comfortable walking around with the DS without a strap, something I can't say about the K100D). Unfortunately the preview implies that the grip on the KM is not a strong point.

The weight saving in the kit lens bothers me slightly too. One would hope that optically and mechanically it's as good as the non-L version.

I can't help feeling that the KM is really milking the K10D/K200D line dry, times are moving on at this level and it'll be competing head to head with a very appealing Pana G1 in the entry level market. Two very different products with different ancestry. Interesting times!

Here is the interview with Pentax director at Photokina 2008: http://http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Cameras/Video/PentaxK2000.php

09-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gubak Quote
The weight saving in the kit lens bothers me slightly too. One would hope that optically and mechanically it's as good as the non-L version.
Mechanically it differs in that there is no quick shift. Between that and the plastic mount, I'd pass on that if I were buying this camera. Quick shift is really one of the important differentiating features for Pentax, even if it doesn't get much press. Other have it in some lenses, but Pentax has it in almost all the recent ones.
09-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

quick shift? and the mount is not plastic....
09-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
quick shift? and the mount is not plastic....
We're talking about the new kit lens - DA-L 18-55 that was announced with the K-m last week. The announcement says "synthetic bayonet", but the reports I've seen from Photokina say the mount itself is plastic. Do you know otherwise?

Not sure what you are asking regarding quick shift. If you're asking what it is, it is the ability to use MF when the camera is in AF mode - to be able to turn the focus ring after focus has been achieved, or to focus manually without engaging AF at all. All DA lenses except the 18-250 and the new DA-L lenses have this ability; most (all?) other lenses don't.