Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3-II + DFA 50 + Pixel Shift Resolution

I'm just pushing my K3-II's sensor to its limits because K1-II is on the horizon

I rarely use this feature but it's very handy when you need more resolution. I see lots of pictures with K-1 and DFA* 50 combo but not so much with crop body so if anyone is wondering...

There may be better results with more steady situation but....

Focus mode: Spot
White Balance: Cloudy (forgot it to change)
Shutter Speed: 1/4s
ISO: 100
Apperture: f/4
Distance: ~1 meter.
Focus Point: between toys

Original

Crop

Many refer pixel shift resolution to sharpness but imho it's incorrect.

01-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To you is the effect of pixel shift not as good as sharpening in post-processing images?

Last edited by Ash; 01-13-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarification
01-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You mean to say pixel shift is not as good as sharpening in post-processing images?
Pixel shift isnít doing the same thing. Pixel shift in the Pentax ecosystem is about increasing bit depth. I have, with a few images, seen an apparent increase in resolution with it, but it is just colour acuity increasing. I believe Olympus uses pixel shift to increase the pixel count of the image rather than increasing the bit depth.
01-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I rarely use this feature but it's very handy when you need more resolution.

Many refer pixel shift resolution to sharpness but imho it's incorrect.
Very detailed indeed... Excellent result - thanks for posting!

You mean to say pixel shift is not as good as sharpening in post-processing images?
What I read, Ash, is that pixel shift and sharpening aren't equivalent. Pixel shift shows an increase in actual detail, whereas sharpening gives a perception of detail.

Maybe the OP will correct me if I've mis-interpreted here

01-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pixel shift isnít doing the same thing. Pixel shift in the Pentax ecosystem is about increasing bit depth. I have, with a few images, seen an apparent increase in resolution with it, but it is just colour acuity increasing. I believe Olympus uses pixel shift to increase the pixel count of the image rather than increasing the bit depth.
I appreciate that, and agree they aren't equivalent effects on image quality, but I wanted to get the thinking of the OP, notwithstanding the probable language barrier with what the intended message was from his observation.
01-13-2019, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Ash
Community Manager

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What I read, Ash, is that pixel shift and sharpening aren't equivalent. Pixel shift shows an increase in actual detail, whereas sharpening gives a perception of detail.
You beat me to it.
01-13-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You beat me to it.
I have occasional moments of lucidity... Before I drift quickly back to my normal state
01-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very detailed indeed... Excellent result - thanks for posting!

Yep, that's what I mean. In other words, pixel shift resolution doesn't improve lens performance regarding sharpness, it just adds extra resolution, details to the image.

01-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager

I have occasional moments of lucidity... Before I drift quickly back to my normal state
May these moments happen more often.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
pixel shift resolution doesn't improve lens performance regarding sharpness, it just adds extra resolution, details to the image
Thanks for that. Precisely the clarification I was after.
01-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To you is the effect of pixel shift not as good as sharpening in post-processing images?
Well. yes and no of course image taken with pixel shift will be always better overall but what I'm trying to tell is that you "help" sensor to gain more details not the lens itself. So when someone says pixel shift image is sharper it's irrelevant because you link the sharpness to lens in the first place.
01-13-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pixel shift should reduce interpolation errors where a color is assumed to be present due to the adjacent color patterns. This could increase actual detail but not pixel count. The Pentax approach has advantages and tradeoffs.
01-21-2019, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I missed this in your reply... You're absolutely right, I meant exactly what are you saying here.
02-25-2019, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pixel Shift improves the optical resolution of the image and provides more accurate colour capture. This can then be sharpened like any picture can, but there is more detail to start with.

As mentioned above, other manufacturers offering similar functions are using it to increase the pixel resolution, so that the final image can be printed much larger than the standard single shot dimensions.

Both do not handle movement very well, and the approach is to identify movement between shots and in that area just use the data from a single frame.

It's pretty cool tech, and only Pentax is taking this increased optical performance approach, but then they always have been focused on superior image quality.
Pentax could technically provide the option to do either approach via firmware update at a later date, but they're not particularly big on that sort of later development.

To the OP, thanks for sharing your experiences.