Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Perhaps you're an Apple user and bought into the "fragmented" disinformation some of the fan sites promote.
Nope. Not a single Apple device in my whole house. But I am a DJI user, and their experience of trying to keep development and support alive across an ever-expanding device (tablet and mobile) landscape has been very informative. The walled garden of Apple hardware/software helps make DJI's IOS apps simply the most reliable and stable ones to use. It may even lead me towards buying an iPad myself.

04-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nope. Not a single Apple device in my whole house. But I am a DJI user, and their experience of trying to keep development and support alive across an ever-expanding device (tablet and mobile) landscape has been very informative. The walled garden of Apple hardware/software helps make DJI's IOS apps simply the most reliable and stable ones to use. It may even lead me towards buying an iPad myself.
I think that has less to do with the OS and more to do with the specific phone hardware. Cheap phone (hardware-wise) and you have poor resources. Use a good phone, a recent Galaxy model, Maybe OnePlus, or any of the flagship LG's, HTC's, Pixels, and you're good.

If you want a tablet then if course the iPad would be the right choice, maybe pick up this year's Air. Android tablets shouldn't even exist

But in any case it's more the phone than the OS version. Building an Android version of this app would be nice, as would an iOS version.
04-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Use a good phone, a recent Galaxy model, Maybe OnePlus, or any of the flagship LG's, HTC's, Pixels, and you're good.
I'm looking at the problem not from a personal perspective, but trying to look at it from a developer perspective.

For running the DJI Go! drone control software you can see that, for Apple, DJI only need to test and certify 14 devices, but for Android they have had to test and certify 32 pieces of hardware, and counting :
QuoteQuote:
Requires iOS 10.0.0 or later
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.

Requires Android 5.0 or later.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

And every week you can see in their forums users are demanding confirmed support for another dozen or more quirky Android devices ... Ugh. Even a company with a few hundred developers like DJI struggles to keep up.
04-04-2019, 04:43 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm looking at the problem not from a personal perspective, but trying to look at it from a developer perspective.

For running the DJI Go! drone control software you can see that, for Apple, DJI only need to test and certify 14 devices, but for Android they have had to test and certify 32 pieces of hardware, and counting :

And every week you can see in their forums users are demanding confirmed support for another dozen or more quirky Android devices ... Ugh. Even a company with a few hundred developers like DJI struggles to keep up.
With even four year old Android handsets supported I think users are pretty much covered even if DJI didn't get around to "testing" every recent handset. Notice the complete lack of folks saying any relatively recent Android smartphone doesn't work, even cheap $250 models? That should be a clue.

As I said earlier it's more the API level than the OS version since DJI says anything Android 5.0 and above passes muster. That covers essentially EVERY Android device in use today since that OS was rolled in 2014 and we're now going on 5 OS versions later.

Unless someone bought an old used phone from prior to 2015 or the most budget current model they could find (even those may work just fine since users are reporting $100 handsets are good to go.) I doubt DJI now needs to "test and certify" them except to appease some buyer.

I personally believe folks are overthinking it. If they have money laying around for a premium drone I think they could afford a $300-$600 phone too. A $1000 one isn't required, but still an iPad Mini would be a great choice. More screen real estate and yet very portable. Probably the way you should go as long as you don't mind a second device. I've also considered one but can't yet justify the use case.This thread isn't about DJI tho.

If this developer decides to pursue iOS and Android apps I think there's more than a few of us to give it a try, pay a little sump'n sump'n for it as my southern uncle would say. Unfortunately there's not enough Pentax users who need such a thing to make much if any money on it so perhaps not worthwhile considering the time and effort.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-05-2019 at 04:12 AM.
04-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most people seem to be running the app on a laptop. What kind of system requirements does it have? Would a relatively weak tablet be enough? A Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 for example?
04-20-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Most people seem to be running the app on a laptop. What kind of system requirements does it have? Would a relatively weak tablet be enough? A Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 for example?
My HP TC4400 (12 years old, came with XP Tablet, now running W10 32bit) runs the program just fine. It's Pentium Duo (2Ghz) with 4Gb RAM, though the original HDU has been replaced with an SSD.

Hope this helps
04-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My HP TC4400 (12 years old, came with XP Tablet, now running W10 32bit) runs the program just fine. It's Pentium Duo (2Ghz) with 4Gb RAM, though the original HDU has been replaced with an SSD.

Hope this helps
Yes, that helped, thanks According to some CPU scores and benchmarks that I was able to find, there probably isn't much difference between the two. So it looks like the Panasonic should be fine.

04-21-2019, 04:16 AM   #68

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Runs good on a Surface 4 with no problems. Very portable screen simple set up using windows 10.
04-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In terms of computing power, how does a Surface 4 compare to the Panasonic mentioned? I know nothing of the Surface 4.
04-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Hi, the app hasn't high requirements. They are the same of the operating system, and the app is compatible with Windows 7...
05-14-2019, 01:10 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately we could not get any Toughpad model for a reasonable price. Actually, none of the 'tougher' pads that run Windows could be found for a reasonable price. We were thus forced to get an Android pad and are now limited to the Pentax app.

Truly sad but in our application it is absolutely essential that the device is weather proof.