Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
will there be a mac version too?

01-16-2019, 03:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
will there be a mac version too?
This is my intention but depends on what efforts and resources I need to do this. At this moment I don't own a mac... but the porting is the next development step.
01-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
This is my intention but depends on what efforts and resources I need to do this. At this moment I don't own a mac... but the porting is the next development step.
If you decide to work on it my hackintosh can be a guinea pig. It's running high sierra.
01-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I’ve just tried it again Andrea, I installed it on my new computer (I owe you an answer: no problems this time).
Tried the planned shots, I had to find my K-70 manual to figure out how to shoot timed bulb mode
Since I plan to use either your wifi commander or Adams tether software (wifi vs. USB) for astrophotography, I would like to have an option to skip the dark frame delay when doing long exposure shots, I’ve disabled the long exposure noise reduction on my camera. Instead I shoot the dark frames manually.
Would it be possible in a future release to specifiy number of exposure for planned shots instead of having to create f.ex 100 similar exposures? (Astrophotography )
All in all it’s looking good!

01-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Next step will be the mac porting!!!
Looking forward to that, thanks Andrea.
01-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I’ve just tried it again Andrea, I installed it on my new computer (I owe you an answer: no problems this time).
Tried the planned shots, I had to find my K-70 manual to figure out how to shoot timed bulb mode
Since I plan to use either your wifi commander or Adams tether software (wifi vs. USB) for astrophotography, I would like to have an option to skip the dark frame delay when doing long exposure shots, I’ve disabled the long exposure noise reduction on my camera. Instead I shoot the dark frames manually.
Would it be possible in a future release to specifiy number of exposure for planned shots instead of having to create f.ex 100 similar exposures? (Astrophotography )
All in all it’s looking good!
Hi, thanks for the report.

"I would like to have an option to skip the dark frame delay" er...have you checked the Options panel?

"Would it be possible in a future release to specifiy number of exposure for planned shots instead of having to create f.ex 100 similar exposures" ... this would be nice.. could be: add a shot and in the Planned Shots grid define how many equal shots you need... maybe in the next release.

Cheers

---------- Post added 17-01-19 at 10:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If you decide to work on it my hackintosh can be a guinea pig. It's running high sierra.
Thanks but... What you mean? You have a Virtual Machine that I can use?
01-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CSV Input/Output

Andrea,

I'd like to see an option to save and retrieve the table in CSV format so we can build the table in Excel. It would be a waste of your time to duplicate so much of what Excel or other spreadsheets offer if you can move on to getting the Mac version up and running. Sharing of setups would be easier too.

Sampling of the frames for stacking or selecting should be a concern and hasn't be mentioned before. To make good stacks, sampling at just peak focus points is probably not sufficient. This means artifacts will be seen in the stacks. Likewise beginning and ending edges of the of the ensemble being stacked.

Heavy users of various versions of stacking please comment on sampling.

RONC

01-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Andrea,

I'd like to see an option to save and retrieve the table in CSV format so we can build the table in Excel. It would be a waste of your time to duplicate so much of what Excel or other spreadsheets offer if you can move on to getting the Mac version up and running. Sharing of setups would be easier too.

Sampling of the frames for stacking or selecting should be a concern and hasn't be mentioned before. To make good stacks, sampling at just peak focus points is probably not sufficient. This means artifacts will be seen in the stacks. Likewise beginning and ending edges of the of the ensemble being stacked.

Heavy users of various versions of stacking please comment on sampling.

RONC
Nice points.

I can't do an export->edit->import because every parameters need to be validated by the camera. The edit in another software means that the user can write also bad values or bad text, this would lead to errors in the communication to the camera, unexpected behaviors as well as an huge work of checking and validating the inputs.

About focus stacking, the purpose is to have areas in focus one behind the other.
I have do some tests and I obtained very good results simply adding samples. If a stack with 5 shots isn't enough to have all significant parts in focus just add a shot with the focus on the "critical" zone. The user must not redo the entire Program, he can take only this picture and add it to the photo editing software.
Keep in mind also that the photo editing software can do mistakes during the merge process. Definitely focus stack needs a bit of work.

From my youtube video example:

Photoshop 2019 has left some artifacts after the automatic process:

Simply by changing the masks between layers I obtained this:

You can also see that the near part of the FA 43 cap isn't perfectly on focus, this because I wanted to show in my video that it was possible to add shots to improve the stack. I do not have that shot with me now to show you how the stack has improved.

Thank you for your interest.

Cheers,

Andrea
01-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi, thanks for the report.

"I would like to have an option to skip the dark frame delay" er...have you checked the Options panel?
I didn't have my glases on when I checked the options panel...

"Would it be possible in a future release to specifiy number of exposure for planned shots instead of having to create f.ex 100 similar exposures" ... this would be nice.. could be: add a shot and in the Planned Shots grid define how many equal shots you need... maybe in the next release.

Cheers[COLOR="Silver"]
Exactly, that would be perfect!

A minor thing, when you set f.ex exposure and aperture, it does change the settings on the camera, but you have to re-read camera settings to change it in wifi Commander.
01-18-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I didn't have my glases on when I checked the options panel...

Exactly, that would be perfect!

A minor thing, when you set f.ex exposure and aperture, it does change the settings on the camera, but you have to re-read camera settings to change it in wifi Commander.
This is normal. If you change the parameters on the camera then you have to press the reload button to refresh the app.
01-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CSV

Have a look at an automated Focus Stack Automated focus stacking - PentaxForums.com This has way more than five focus frames in the stack.

As far a as import/export of the parameters, you are importing/exporting them now to the WCPD files which we don't have a format definition available for.

I'm requesting that you let the users to choose what to do.

RONC
01-21-2019, 12:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Have a look at an automated Focus Stack Automated focus stacking - PentaxForums.com This has way more than five focus frames in the stack.

As far a as import/export of the parameters, you are importing/exporting them now to the WCPD files which we don't have a format definition available for.

I'm requesting that you let the users to choose what to do.

RONC
Yep, there isn't a limit to the number of shots that you can add to a Program.

About Focus Stacking: the USB SDK allows a steps adjustment and this is theoretically superior than define points of focus but we have to verify in pratic.

The user can use the app to manage the Planned Shots. Import/Export function purpose is to share Planned Shots between different installations or users and I have to avoid potentially dangerous situations that can break the software or the hardware.

Cheers
01-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent work!!! It works like a dream on my K-70!
01-26-2019, 02:13 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Andrea, this is fantastic work, thanks a lot!

I don't have time to play with the software right now but hope you don't mind two questions.

First, can you confirm that focus bracketing isn't supported (probably due to the Pentax API not supporting it of WiFi)?
Your approach using different AF points is great, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to simply step through a focus range.

Second, is it possible to review RAW files (PEF or DNG) at 100% resolution? For that to work, you'd have to resort to some RAW developer. I'm specifically not talking about accessing the embedded JPEG in a RAW file as this doesn't have the required quality to perform critical checking. An alternative, of course, is to show RAW+JPG on the camera and then to inspect the JPEG file.
01-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great software, had fun till the battery gave out. Looking forward to the focus stacking.