Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus stacking works great and the way the program works in terms of flow is great (LV, preview, download etc) I currently focus stack with Affinity and have found jpegs are better at combining than RAW. I will need to do more experiments and will do over the coming days. Andrea, do you have a thread we can post our experiments and record our results?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-28-2019, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Andrea, this is fantastic work, thanks a lot!

I don't have time to play with the software right now but hope you don't mind two questions.

First, can you confirm that focus bracketing isn't supported (probably due to the Pentax API not supporting it of WiFi)?
Your approach using different AF points is great, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to simply step through a focus range.

Second, is it possible to review RAW files (PEF or DNG) at 100% resolution? For that to work, you'd have to resort to some RAW developer. I'm specifically not talking about accessing the embedded JPEG in a RAW file as this doesn't have the required quality to perform critical checking. An alternative, of course, is to show RAW+JPG on the camera and then to inspect the JPEG file.
1) In WiFi SDK isn't supported
2) Perhaps this is out of the scope of the app. A RAW is an huge file and due to the limited bandwidth you should wait a minute only to see a preview... uhmm...

---------- Post added 28-01-19 at 16:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
Andrea, do you have a thread we can post our experiments and record our results?
Maybe some users could open it
01-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote

Andrea,

Have a look at this from the USB C++ SDK Capture Settings:

Code:
std::unique_ptr<FNumber> fNumber(new FNumber());
cameraDevice->getCaptureSettings(std::vector<CaptureSetting*>{fNumber.get()});
const std::vector<const CaptureSetting*>& availableFNumberSettings = fNumber->getAvailableSettings();

// The list above might contain the following values.
// F4.0 (F4_0), F4.5 (F4_5), F5.0 (F5_0)
I think all of the parameters are in the WiFi SDK but it is not explained.

This gives the available aperture setting for the attached lens. Just what is needed for Focus Stacking.

RONC
01-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You are very optimistic. What would be useful is a method to define a distance from the camera to set the focus, but the most similar is a method in the .NET SDK: CameraDevice.Focus Method

This allows you to move the focus distance away from the current but is not very useful to use with the aperture.

P.s .: why do you think that the lens apertures are not accessible to the wifi sdk? You can see the use of this information in my app.
P.s. II: time ago I found that they planned to set the focus distance (and more ...) in the WiFi SDK but then they did not implement it

Last edited by Andrea K; 01-28-2019 at 02:50 PM.
01-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Have you tried "CameraDevice.Focus Method (Int32)"?

It looks like one would be able to iterate through an adjustment range and thus get a series of images, all with a slightly different focus.

2) Perhaps this is out of the scope of the app. A RAW is an huge file and due to the limited bandwidth you should wait a minute only to see a preview... uhmm...
Sure.

I wouldn't expect an app like yours to develop RAW files (unless there are useful libraries that you could use) but the long transfer times wouldn't be so problematic in my view. Obviously, it would be nicer if Ricoh had implemented quicker WiFi transfer, but even a slow WiFi transfer of a RAW file is quicker or at least much more convenient than removing the card and transferring the image manually.

My main usage for an app would be to gain the ability to preview results in detail before committing to a series of shots.
01-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have you tried "CameraDevice.Focus Method (Int32)"?

It looks like one would be able to iterate through an adjustment range and thus get a series of images, all with a slightly different focus.

Sure.

I wouldn't expect an app like yours to develop RAW files (unless there are useful libraries that you could use) but the long transfer times wouldn't be so problematic in my view. Obviously, it would be nicer if Ricoh had implemented quicker WiFi transfer, but even a slow WiFi transfer of a RAW file is quicker or at least much more convenient than removing the card and transferring the image manually.

My main usage for an app would be to gain the ability to preview results in detail before committing to a series of shots.
This method there isn't in the WiFi SDK. Have you tried my implementation?

Preview the full resolution RAW is the same that download it, you can achieve this through the download picture feature in the app. My advice, if your camera support it, is to shot with RAW+ .
01-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

This method there isn't in the WiFi SDK. Have you tried my implementation?

Preview the full resolution RAW is the same that download it, you can achieve this through the download picture feature in the app. My advice, if your camera support it, is to shot with RAW+ .
How do you know that it is not available in the API? I'll bet that the backend(camera) is the same for all and so is the communication from camera to device (phone etc.) but the documentation is usual Pentax. Each one was probably written by a different person with things missing in each. Have an honest try and don't trust the docs.

RONC

01-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
How do you know that it is not available in the API? I'll bet that the backend(camera) is the same for all and so is the communication from camera to device (phone etc.) but the documentation is usual Pentax. Each one was probably written by a different person with things missing in each. Have an honest try and don't trust the docs.

RONC
SDKs went out much after the development of my app. The documentation covers only a part of all the functions and isn't my reference to know what is possible to do. I don't use the WiFi SDK that is only a (partial) java wrapper of my direct interactions with the camera. After the USB SDK release I tried the focus adjustments with the WiFi communications but without luck. You are right, probably different persons made the two channels but the guy at the wireless one doesn't added the command to move the focus by a precise amount. I know that he tried to add a command to set a distance and a level of distance but at the end didn't implement it.

If I write that a function there isn't you can be sure that truly there isn't.

Last edited by Andrea K; 01-29-2019 at 02:19 AM.
01-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #39
Pentaxian

This method there isn't in the WiFi SDK.
Sorry, that's what I had assumed but then you provided a reference to the method and as I had inexplicably missed the ".NET SDK" qualifier, I thought there was one after all.

Have you tried my implementation?
Not yet, sorry. Too many other tasks to handle at the moment.

My advice, if your camera support it, is to shot with RAW+ .
Yes, that will work and will reduce transfer times.
02-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
... Thanks but... What you mean? You have a Virtual Machine that I can use?
Hackinstosh is a play on Macintosh.
A hacked mac... is a computer built of PC equipment (non-Apple hardware) running Apple operating system.

---------- Post added 02-01-19 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
something is bad with the video on youtube
In case this isn't just a comment on the state and quality of UTube content... do you have any javascript blockers running>? I do regularly block javascript and use a different browser to view UTube stuff.
02-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Hackinstosh is a play on Macintosh.
A hacked mac... is a computer built of PC equipment (non-Apple hardware) running Apple operating system.
TAN68,

Can Andrea run his compiles and tests on your machine using a virtual setup with him in Rome, Italy and you the US? He needs a Mac of any sort to proceed.

RONC
02-05-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi,

I think that I will use the mono ( Mono Project site ) approach for my MAC porting.

Cheers,

Andrea
02-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After a couple of glitches (my fault) I got it to work with my K-70, great stuff Andrea K!

Here is a screen shot from the program (Live view).
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 02-25-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Add 2nd image
03-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I've installed the latest version , works great (works better than the app published by Ricoh).
03-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
Great software, had fun till the battery gave out. Looking forward to the focus stacking.
I too have been playing with this software, you may want to consider "an AC adapter" Around $20 US!
I bought this and it is working fine!

Pentax K-AC168 (AC adapter for the K-70) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Cheers!