Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 09:55 PM - 12 Likes   #1

Increase Image Sync transfer speed by 2x by switching to playback mode

Hello, I was trying to troubleshoot slow wifi transfer speed between my K-1ii and my Android phone and I found a VERY easy way to speed things up.

Push the blue playback button.

(You can do also switch the camera to preview an image after starting transferring if you forgot to do it beforehand.).

I assume when the camera is left on and ready to shoot that it is reserving more CPU/power which limits the wifi transfer speeds.

I have an applet that shows my network usage on my phone and the results on average were:

Camera ready to shoot a picture: 250-350kB/s
Camera previewing a photo: 450-650kB/s

Side note: holding the optical preview button achieves the same effect, but that is tiring. I assume if you want to optimize battery life on your camera, you could do that as it will turn off your LCD. Or at least turn your LCD to darkest view setting while transferring photos.

I hope this tip helps those who are frustrated with the Image Sync app.

Also, if anyone can test this behavior on iPhone or other camera bodies, you could put your results here. If you can't measure network speed, you can just include the file size and time how long the transfer takes before and after switching to playback mode. Someone here could help with the math if you aren't sure how to calculate.

01-18-2019, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
mee
Pentaxian

I don't know who you are, but I am attracted to your forum name.
01-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great find! I use sometimes my pad to preview photos, have been thinking of same thing.
01-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It works. Thanks for sharing the trick. With playback mode, the transfer is about twice as fast.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-19-2019 at 05:26 AM.
01-19-2019, 07:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Hi,

thanks for sharing this. I did some tests with "WiFi Commander for Pentax" about this and effectively the available bandwidth depends on camera status... also if the display is ON or OFF:

Last edited by Andrea K; 01-19-2019 at 08:45 AM.
01-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The magnitude of change is much less using WCP. What might cause that? Every bit or byte helps.
RONC
01-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
The magnitude of change is much less using WCP. What might cause that? Every bit or byte helps.
RONC
K-1 JPEG full size
WCP with camera on playback mode: 20s
WCP with camera on shot mode and display ON: 28s

Image Sync with camera on playback mode: 30s
image Sync with camera on shot mode and display ON: 46s
01-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
K-1 JPEG full size
WCP with camera on playback mode: 20s
WCP with camera on shot mode and display ON: 28s

Image Sync with camera on playback mode: 30s
image Sync with camera on shot mode and display ON: 46s
So WCP shows being faster compared to Image Sync. Is this due to compiled app and system vs Javascript and its system?

Straight out of the box, Image Sync as released by Pentax is 46s / JPEG K-1 file whereas WCP with speedups is 20s for the same file. This is an improvement of over 2 to 1. Is this what one can expect for a larger number of JPEGs?

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 01-19-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added extra comment
01-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
So WCP shows being faster compared to Image Sync. Is this due to compiled app and system vs Javascript and its system?

Straight out of the box, Image Sync as released by Pentax is 46s / JPEG K-1 file whereas WCP with speedups is 20s for the same file. This is an improvement of over 2 to 1. Is this what one can expect for a larger number of JPEGs?

RONC
Hi,

I think that the hardware is the key. A laptop with 16gb of RAM, i7 CPU and a dedicated WiFi chipset, also only with the old "n dual band @ 300Mbit\s", is far superior than a smartphone (my tests are with an LG V30).

Cheers,
Andrea