Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VinceLaTaupe Quote
Wow, thank you everyone for all your answers !
I'll have a deeper look into the proposed threads later today after work, thanks @c.a.m

I am very aware of frostbite (and a bit afraid of it) but I will be working during the day so I wasn't intending to stay behind my camera all time but just checking it some time to time (Like every half an hour if my battery can last that long) to make sure that it is still running and that the parameters are still good.

So it seems that the camera could resist, the problem is more on the battery side. I already have 2 batteries, might buy one or two more then
Does a battery discharge in the cold even when not used or only while taking pictures?

I am a bit concerned about the lens also, I might rent one for the week there so I'll ask directly to the shop and make sure that it can resists.

Are there any kind of existing solutions to warm up my camera?
I might have access to power supply also, but I never connect my camera directly to it so I don't know what system I need to do it. Any proposition for that?

My brother bet a beer that it will not last more than 10 minutes by -29°. I intend to gain that beer haha

Thanks again.
The battery does not discharge in the cold so much as grow less able to put out enough power to run the camera. The camera interprets this weakness as discharge but it's not. A very cold fully-charged battery is still fully charged even if it is too weak from cold to run the camera. Warm the battery back up and the charge will still be in there.

Insulating the camera can help slow how quickly the battery becomes too cold to power the camera. Hardcore low-temperature photographers create larger insulated battery packs to handle the cold and sometimes add hand warmers in the battery box. If you have a power supply, that will solve the cold-battery problem.

01-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Equally important is wearing proper clothing so that you can be comfortable while operating your camera gear. I wear layered clothing and a system of mittens with flaps and finger holes, and light inner silk liners.

Be aware of the dangers of frostbite!

- Craig
100 % agreement

layers, you don't want to get too warm and sweat since that will freeze so with layers you can regulate when needed

cotton kills, it wicks away body heat when wet

wool, even if wet will help retain body heat
01-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those hunting overalls and snowmobile boots are critical gear in cold weather. As are a really good warm set of mittens to put your hands in when they get cold, as well as a lightweight merino wool gloves that you can manipulate the camera controls with, and that you don't have to take off to put the mittens on. If you're going to be sitting still, your coat needs to be twice as heavy as if you were hiking. Big puffy down is preferred around here.
Yes they are. My only complaint is that my warmest pair of boots is too warm to wear when it is above 0F (-15C) because my feet will sweat too much and then freeze because the insides of the boots get soaked. I have a good pair of thin warm gloves (60g thinsulate) that I wear under a heavy pair of mittens with flip open tops. I can have the fingers and thumbs out of the mittens if needed and when done flip the top back over the fingers and pull my thumb back in through the hole. The other nice thing is that the outer shell of that hunting gear is wind proof so even a stiff wind it won't suck the heat out. Also I stand out and am easy to find because I am a giant mass of blaze orange.
01-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Was out last night in conditions not too dissimilar to what you are expecting with my K-3. Shot the eclipse at -8F (-22C) for about 3 hours and didn't have any problems. I started with a fresh battery and got off 447 shots before I gave it up for the night (can't wait to get home and process them to see what I can pull out). I was also using a non weather sealed older 300mm sigma lens. I put the camera with lens in a large ziplock bag and let it come down to temp for a couple of hours in the unheated garage. When I was done shooting I put the camera and lens back in the ziplock bag before heading in after taking the cards out (I wanted to see the results of my effort). There was still battery charge but the top LCD display was only showing one segment and had been for a while so I didn't run it empty.

This wasn't my first time out shooting in conditions like this and apart from stiffer focusing, slower aperture blades, and dramatically shortened battery life the camera is no worse for wear. Just get one of those 2.5 gallon zip lock bags (or what ever size will hold you camera and largest lens) and use those when going out and heading in. When I am out in conditions like that I am usually shooting the sky so I only really need to focus once and then minor checks and adjustments if conditions change. I also will manually set the aperture using the aperture ring so that those are having to move all the time.

As others have said if you aren't prepared for the cold you will do worse than the camera. I go out in my hunting gear when it gets cold like that and have been out when it is in the -35 range (it really doesn't matter C of F at that point) and do just fine but then that hunting gear would probably keep me alive in Antarctica. I've sat still in a tree at -15F (-25C) all day with a good wind and been perfectly warm in that cold weather gear.

Thanks for this feedback!

When you talk about a Zip Lock Back, you mean just a normal bag yeah? I have one for city use in which I store my camera sometimes. Is your lens mounted on the camera for the "adaptation period"? I suppose it is also better to take the battery out in this process and to keep it warm?

So if I understood well, here is a summary of things that can happen:
  • Super fast battery discharge
  • Condensation while going out/coming in (To overcome this, put the camera first in a bag for a few <insert amount of time> --> Hours ? With or without the lens mounted? )
  • Changes of focus during time if changes of tempeartures during time (Like camera under the sun and then shadow or day/night temperatures)
  • Lens disfunctionment (possibly) due to many factors (freezing mechanism etc.)
  • Me dying of frostbite.
  • Did I forget something ?

Concerning my personal resistance to cold :
I am joining my brother that is working there as a handler for a musher (you know, the dog sledding guys). He's been there for a few months now and he knows the situation way better than I do. He already quickly briefed me on the clothes I should have and he also has some stuff I can borrow.
Also, as I'm not going there as a tourist but also to give a hand, I won't be able to stand all the time behind my camera but I will only check it some time to time. So hopefully no time to freeze while I'm gripped to my camera haha.

I should have some great pictures given the ones he already sent me, I'm super excited about it !

On a diferent matter, it will be the first time that I'm taking the plane with my camera (I'll have it in my hand bag). I heard rumors about X-rays destroying the SD data. Is that true? Should I protect them/take them with me?
Thanks!

01-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

have a good pair of thin warm gloves (60g thinsulate) that I wear under a heavy pair of mittens with flip open tops
I've been having a hard time putting those flip top mittens since I dropped my 60-250 when it just squirted out of my fingers because my flip tops didn't have enough grip. I know I should use them, but it makes me feel sick seeing them. I had them on yesterday, but I knew I wouldn't be changing lenses.

Yesterday was a "take few F 70-210 sample photos in out in the -20ēC weather." day. Really, if you're dressed, it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's -21ēC here now and as warm as it's going to get today. I absolutely have to get off my butt and walk those border collies, while it is "warm."

Last edited by normhead; 01-21-2019 at 10:24 AM.
01-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you talk about a Zip Lock Back, you mean just a normal bag yeah?
No I mean an actual big ZipLock bag that you can squeeze the air out of of and zip closed like these. I put the camera in there lens attached during the temp change, I figure having the lens and camera be as close in temp is best and this way I'm not havign to fiddle around changing things when it is cold. Last night I just left the fully charged battery in the camera when I put in the bag out in the garage to come down to temp as I didn't think I would be out long enough where I would need a battery change and even if I did I was at home so I could just have gone in and grabbed a fresh battery. I would say leave a battery in the camera when cooling down just so that there is enough power to keep things like the clock and settings but if you will be out for a while have a fresh warm one you can stuff in before you start shooting. Then put the cold one in an inside pocket close to your body so it warms up.

I've been having a hard time putting those flip top mittens since I dropped my 60-250 when it justt squirted out of my fingers because mine didn't have enough grip.
That is why I like the lighter gloves, they have great traction pads on them and can be worn under the mittens without issue. The mittens are there to keep things warm, any manipulation of anything other than the release cable is done with the gloves. This is also why I'm glad I made my own release cable that I can operate in heavy mittens.

Last edited by MossyRocks; 01-21-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
01-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #22

Original Poster
No I mean an actual big ZipLock bag that you can squeeze the air out of of and zip closed. [...] I would say leave a battery in the camera when cooling down just so that there is enough power to keep things like the clock and settings but if you will be out for a while have a fresh warm one you can stuff in before you start shooting. Then put the cold one in an inside pocket close to your body so it warms up.
Okay, good to know! So you just get the air out by breathing it?

That is why I like the lighter gloves, they have great traction pads on them and can be worn under the mittens without issue. The mittens are there to keep things warm, any manipulation of anything other than the release cable is done with the gloves. This is also why I'm glad I made my own release cable that I can operate in heavy mittens.
For now I have only ski gloves, I was thinking to buy very thin gloves to go in so I have two layers. That way I can handle very cold stuff, and when I need to manipulate my camera I can take out the big gloves and still have a warm layer on my hands.

Nice pic @warmhead!

I hope I will have wonderful occasions with the dogs and horses!

And so what about the SD card and security check at the airport? any specific precautions to take?

01-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So you just get the air out by breathing it?
I just put the camera with lens attached in the bottom and roll it up until I get to the top and close the zipper. You don't have to get all the air out, just most of it. Also when going inside as the bag warms the air inside the bag will dry out as it warms up as well. There will be condensation on the outside of the bag that will dry without issue and better condensation on the bag than in the camera or lens.

Really, if you're dressed, it's not as bad as it sounds.
That is true and having been out in -40 temps with the correct gear it is perfectly comfortable but it does sound way more impressive than it is. I am regularly out in -5F to -15F temps and if moving around it is really surprising how warm one gets. Staying dry and keeping moving does wonders, now if I could only get the cub scouts to understand that. When cutting and splitting wood I can be out in a regular pair of uninsulated bib overalls, a t-shirt, and a pair of steel toe boots when it is only 10F and have sweat running down the face and steam coming off my back, but that is really a lot of activity.
01-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yesterday was a "take few F 70-210 sample photos in out in the -20ēC weather." day.
Your wild life is way more patient than the ones in my backyard. The squirrels refuse to hold up their end of the bargain and run off when I open the door to take their picture at the squirrel feeder I put up.
01-21-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Your wild life is way more patient than the ones in my backyard. The squirrels refuse to hold up their end of the bargain and run off when I open the door to take their picture at the squirrel feeder I put up.
Mine sit in the tree above my head an scold me, very loudly.

---------- Post added 01-21-19 at 01:44 PM ----------

I just put the camera with lens attached in the bottom and roll it up until I get to the top and close the zipper. You don't have to get all the air out, just most of it. Also when going inside as the bag warms the air inside the bag will dry out as it warms up as well. There will be condensation on the outside of the bag that will dry without issue and better condensation on the bag than in the camera or lens.

That is true and having been out in -40 temps with the correct gear it is perfectly comfortable but it does sound way more impressive than it is. I am regularly out in -5F to -15F temps and if moving around it is really surprising how warm one gets. Staying dry and keeping moving does wonders, now if I could only get the cub scouts to understand that. When cutting and splitting wood I can be out in a regular pair of uninsulated bib overalls, a t-shirt, and a pair of steel toe boots when it is only 10F and have sweat running down the face and steam coming off my back, but that is really a lot of activity.
On hikes even in -30ēC after a Km my jacket and sweat shirt will be open and there's just a bat\re layer of t-short between -30 and my skin. The worst thing that can happen is you sweat and get wet. Then you may freeze when you stop to rest.
01-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine sit in the tree above my head an scold me, very loudly.
They only do that to me when I am out deer hunting up at my lake property, and then only for the first few days. Then they figure out that the giant orange thing in the tree isn't interested in them.
01-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And so what about the SD card and security check at the airport? any specific precautions to take?
I've never had trouble with an SD card and x-rays and can't see how that could be a source of card malfunction (unlike ye olde film, of course)

You should be good with that K-3. Even my simple K-50 withstood -20 C in Sweden last year. Condensation when you come back in is your worst enemy (electronics and optics don't like water). Just be sure to have it in an insulated bag when you enter a warm space and leave it in there for several hours (hard to tell just how long, but I found that three hours were enough for going from -20 to +20). Just stick a finger in through the zipper and if it's still cold on the inside, keep it in there.
01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hello VinceLaTaupe,

I and my K-3ii have just returned from northern Sweden. While shooting the aurora we experienced temperatures as low as -34 deg C.

A lot has been said already. Let me add one advise: think of wearing gloves at all times. Gloves thin enough to operate the camera with. I made the mistake of operating camera (and tripod) with bare hands. The metal inside the K-3ii gets bitter cold very fast. It still works fine but is literally a pain to touch.
01-21-2019, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A hot tip (pun intended) I came across yesterday was to keep batteries in a padded bag in your jacket pocket with a hand warmer in the bag. Keeps them warm and avoids condensation.
01-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was on photo trip in a forest last year I regretted I had no battery grip - it was not particularly cold (-10 degrees or so), but it was snowing, creating an opportunity for (frozen) water to get into camera when changing batteries. Everything ended well, though.