Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Over expose in TAv Mode

I've started using TAv mode for action shots and at first it seemed okay. Then all of a sudden, all the pictures that I took became overexposed. I shifted back to Aperture priority and found my shots to have perfect exposure. Shifting back to TAv after still results to overexposure. What did I do wrong? Can anyone help?
Pardon me for my ignorance. Thanks

01-26-2019, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
TAv after still results to overexposure
In TAv mode, make sure the exposure compensation is set to 0 and that the camera doesn't hit the minimum ISO value, the camera blinks in the viewfinder when that happens.
01-26-2019, 02:08 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In TAv mode, make sure the exposure compensation is set to 0 and that the camera doesn't hit the minimum ISO value, the camera blinks in the viewfinder when that happens.
More or less exactly what I was going to write

... also check to see which settings your camera "remembers" when it's switched off, it may be remembering an exposure compensation setting from a previous session, depending which model camera you have. My K-5 and my K-70 will remember over a dozen different adjustments when switched off - really confusing if you're not expecting it. The settings are under "Memory" in the index of your user manual

Good luck
01-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You guys are right. My k-5ii is stuck at ISO 400. I can't find anything the manual to undo it.

01-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it should go to Auto ISO in TAV but maybe it is stuck on your prior setting. Try going to A mode and setting ISO to 100. Then go back to TAV and see what happens. IF that does not work make sure you have set up the ISO range in on the first set up page (I think it is the first on the K-5ii, it has been a long time).
01-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you able to press the ISO button and change the ISO at all in any other mode?
TAv normally allows you flexibility with the shutter speed and aperture but the camera determines the ISO through its automatic metering, so it may appear to be "stuck" but it is just set by the camera automatically.
Other modes should allow you to change the ISO figure.
01-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

It might be worth while trying the "Green Button" to reset any specific value to default, or even doing a complete reset from within the menu, wherever it is on your camera.

Good luck
01-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's possible the "auto iso" inadvertently was set to a low iso setting of 400. This is what I'd be thinking since you said the shots were overexposed, the camera wasn't able to compensate for the iso setting being that high.

01-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi guys, sorry for theatre reply. I had to sleep early as I'll be up by 3 am. I can move my ISO settings in other modes. I also tried green mode and it changes automatically. It's still stuck when set to TAv.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 01-26-2019 at 02:18 PM.
01-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it change when the lighting is poor? It should automatically go up to the maximum setting with low light.
Also check in bright light with large aperture and slower shutter speed -> it should go to the lowest ISO setting possible.
If not, check the auto ISO range in the Custom menu settings.
01-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was able to have the ISO changed by switching the speed to a couple of seconds. However, it can't.go up to higher ISOs at low light. Man this camera is going berserk.
01-26-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I was able to have the ISO changed by switching the speed to a couple of seconds. However, it can't.go up to higher ISOs at low light. Man this camera is going berserk.
Check your ISO limit settings.
01-27-2019, 06:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Check your ISO limit settings.

Bingo!!! Thank pschlute!!!! Hahahahaha, and I thought my camera was busted. Too bad all networks were turned off from 6:00 to 2:00 today in my city. I wasn't able to change it. Thanks, again and many many thanks.