Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continuous shooting mode issue?

I just got back from a high school baseball game. I did some shooting in continuous mode and when I looked at them, I noticed that the first shot in the sequence is normal (lighter) than the third shot, which is much darker. Is this a battery power issue or is there something else going on?

02-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ecce38 Quote
I just got back from a high school baseball game. I did some shooting in continuous mode and when I looked at them, I noticed that the first shot in the sequence is normal (lighter) than the third shot, which is much darker. Is this a battery power issue or is there something else going on?
You might have bracketing turned on.

You might have gone from an area with a lot of light into an area with very little light faster than the camera could meter.

You might have been shooting in Manual mode

Could be a lot of things.. We need more information.
02-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Any chance you could have turned on auto bracketing?

And which camera and lens are you using?
02-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with Artyste and nosnoop. Sounds like you are using braketing instead of continuous.

Have any sample shots to post?

02-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As all have said-Auto bracketing will allow this and it can be set for 3 or 5 shots (if I remember correctly) at 1/2 or 1/3 f stop, depending upon your settings. What mode were you shooting?
02-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Never mind....boy, do I feel really dumb right about now. Carry on.
02-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #7

Glad we could help!

02-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

S'all right. At least you didn't leave the lens cap on and ask us why all your images were coming out black. We've all done stupid stuff from time to time.
03-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just noticed something. I think the design of the K Mount limits the burst rate. 3fps maybe the most it can physically manage. Note, when the shutter button is hit, the aperture is released. The spring takes time to close down the aperture blades right? How fast can you really 'flick' that pin that sticks out the back of your lens?
03-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There aren't many cameras that do more than 3 anyway?
03-03-2007, 02:02 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I just noticed something. I think the design of the K Mount limits the burst rate. 3fps maybe the most it can physically manage. Note, when the shutter button is hit, the aperture is released. The spring takes time to close down the aperture blades right? How fast can you really 'flick' that pin that sticks out the back of your lens?
On an MX with motor drive: over 6 frames per sec. and that's dragging film along. The aperture is kept at shooting value and does not return to fully open between frames.
However, frequent use of this facility is a guaranteed passage to poverty. (Unless someone else is paying your costs.)
03-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't feel so bad. I just did the exact same thing today. AFTER I read this thread too. Good thing I can laugh at myself.
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #13

The nice thing about the digitals is that you can shoot off a burst of frames without worrying about the cost of film/processing. But you then have to deal with all those files!!

Years ago, I quickly learned that a motor drive or winder on a film camera (I have two MX cameras) is a sure way to waste all your money very quickly!