Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,615
We'd appreciate knowing what you finally do get. Whichever model of those discussed it turns out to be, I recommend remembering to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for best fine detail in your images straight out of the camera. When your equipment arrives, no trouble to walk you through that if getting there seems confusing.

Usually the camera comes set to the ""green" auto mode on the mode dial, which is only for a novice shooter and disallows many functions and settings- so first thing after your camera is powered up, move that to another selection like the "P" mode for full Program automatic exposure, without those restrictions.

02-04-2019, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
wstruth's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: at my kitchen table
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 785
Welcome to the forum! To add my two cents: The KP has an optional grip which allows for an additional battery. I use it mostly when i have the 150-450 on the KP, but it's also nice to know that I can keep on shooting beyond the usual battery limits. Also the grip can take the the battery from the K-3 so you can take advantage of a much longer time between switching batteries. Live view shooting on the KP is quick and, if you use electronic shutter, totally silent. If you get yourself a Minolta to Pentax lens mount adapter you can have some good use with your old lenses.
02-04-2019, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,218
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal:
...I love K-3 (the first edition) but unfortunately it is hard to find it brand new...But I also love the K-70 which I can find in a similar price brand new....My preferred photo type is landscape, opportunistic photography, family moments, and some aircraft spotting (not so often). (Definitely no sports photographer)...
The K-70 is a fine choice and superior image quality to the K-3 for landscapes due to a better sensor. Others have already said the KP offers better build quality than the K-70, which is correct, but don't over-interpret that to mean the K-70 is poorly made. The K-70 and KP have very similar capabilities; if you prioritize small size get the KP, if you prioritize price get the K-70.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal:
I know that K-70 video capability is not so great in autofocus mode, so I am looking to the K-3
Pentax emphasizes stills over video. If video is very important to you, rather than just an occasional dalliance, Sony or Canon might be better for you but I don't know specific models.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal:
I am planning to buy and use a Pentax 18-135 WR and a 55-300 PLM lens. If you have some better suggestion in (one for all) lens like 18-270 please give me your thoughts
The 18-135 plus 55-300 are a very good combo. The 18-270 will give lesser image quality.

18mm at the widest end can be limiting. As you progress in your landscapes you can add a wider lens. Alternatively, get the 16-85 (a mere 2mm at the wide end can make a surprising difference) instead of the 18-135 but that's a more expensive lens.
02-04-2019, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,615
Right, absolutely. The Pentax K-70 is no doubt the best made and best-featured "entry-level" DSLR of any brand. The KP, however, with its metal magnesium alloy construction, advanced controls set, quiet shutter, and other refinements, is in a different class. No "SCENE" modes. Made with advanced photographers and professionals in mind who are looking for a compact APS-C model. The optional battery grip extends gripping surface, battery life- as said above, and has duplicate controls for doing a lot of vertical shooting. I eventually bought one, don't use it often, but when needed it is great. Some people prefer using it on a regular basis, and only have it off when using the compact Limited primes. On the KP, the combined weight is close to the same as that of the K-3 II alone.

Of course, not everything need be bought at the same time. For example, I eventually acquired the excellent DA 15mm f/4 Limited to go along with my DA 18-135mm, or my DA 20-40mm Limited, whichever I happen to carry. It is a great performer and so small it fits into the front accessory pocket of my cross shoulder- strap/belt-loop camera holster case! A real jewel. Takes care of extra-wide angle needs very well, and with great quality. I got my KP in silver, and it is a jewel as well.

02-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,653
Welcome to PF John. You do get lots of helpful advice here, as you can see.

No bad choices with any of the camera options discussed. I've got the K-3, KP and K-S2 (which is similar to the K-70). They are different, but all good cameras. Many of the pros of each have been mentioned already. I'd just add these comments:
K-3: robust construction, faster frame rate, bigger buffer, bigger battery than the one used in the KP/K-70/K-S2. It has better AF and better exposure metering than the K-S2/K-70. If you are buying used, this is a safer buy, because it is designed for a longer life and isn't prone to aperture block failure. If you get one with a warranty, so much the better. The dual card slots and top LCD might not be big selling points for your uses. It lacks some of the features of the newer models (e.g. articulating screen, pixel shift, high ISO capability), but it's still a very good camera. Ergonomics are outstanding IMO.
KP: compact size (although only slightly lighter weight than the K-3), but still quite robust construction. AF and AE match or exceed that of the K-3. Small buffer makes it less good for sport/wildlife - although it doesn't sound like that will matter much to you. In the EU it comes with 3 hand grips. People have different feelings about the ergonomics; personally I find even the large grip a bit small and prefer the feel of the K-3. Pixel shift is a great feature for landscape/still life. Three control wheels are good. Tilting screen is an advantage over the K-3 when shooting in LiveView, whether low to the ground or high up. Built in wifi. Lots of other features too, like advanced bracketing. If your budget will run to it, I think this is the model to get for your intended uses. It's been heavily discounted lately, making it a very attractive option.
K-S2: Nice little camera. Compact and light weight. Relatively simple layout makes it easy for someone new to DSLRs. Fully articulating screen is great for macro and selfies! (More versatile than the tilt screen of the KP, although possibly not as robust.) Built in wifi. The 20mp sensor is very good - not far behind the K-3's, but the exposure metering is well behind the K-3 and KP. There have been reports of aperture block failure with this model, and it doesn't have pixel shift, but it still quite well featured compared to other entry-level cameras. Don't expect the same robustness or durability as on the K-3 or KP.
K-70: Has all the good points of the K-S2, with the addition of 24mp sensor, pixel shift and better high-ISO performance (amongst other things). Still lacks the exposure metering and AF system of the KP and K-3, and their robust construction, but a feature packed camera for a modest price.

If you get the KP, K-70 or K-S2, be sure to get one or two spare batteries.

As for the lenses, I think the DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM combination is a great kit. The DA 16-85 might be even better (the extra 2mm on the wide end are very useful if you are not also getting an ultrawide lens, the HD coatings are a big plus and it has better corner/edge sharpness), but it's significantly more expensive than the 18-135. Similar weight but bulkier. Plenty of samples with these lenses here:
DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com
DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com

With a versatile two-zoom kit like this you can add specialty lenses later (e.g. a wide-angle lens, macro or low light/portrait lens).

Leave some money in the budget for a flash too.

Last edited by Des; 02-05-2019 at 01:33 AM.
02-04-2019, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
New Member
JohnKal's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Original Poster
This was the ultimate help.... What to say.... Nothing more than a big THANKS.
I really appreciate your great mood for advisory help. I tend desiding for k3 if i finaly find it new or in a mint case. And that's because of the build in flash, which k3ii lacks. I think it is too practical to have it, than astrotracker capability given by the newer model. Thanks a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to PF John. You do get lots of helpful advice here, as you can see.

No bad choices with any of the camera options discussed. I've got the K-3, KP and K-S2 (which is similar to the K-70). They are different, but all good cameras. Many of the pros of each have been mentioned already. I'd just add these comments:
K-3: robust construction, faster frame rate, bigger buffer, bigger battery than the one used in the KP/K-70/K-S2. It has better AF and better exposure metering than the K-S2/K-70. If you are buying used, this is a safer buy, because it is designed for a longer life and isn't prone to aperture block failure. If you get one with a warranty, so much the better. The dual card slots and top LCD might not be big selling points for your uses. It lacks some of the features of the newer models (e.g. articulating screen, pixel shift, high ISO capability), but it's still a very good camera. Ergonomics are outstanding IMO.

KP: compact size (although only slightly lighter weight than the K-3), but still quite robust construction. AF and AE match or exceed that of the K-3. Small buffer makes it less good for sport/wildlife - although it doesn't sound like that will matter much to you. In the EU it comes with 3 hand grips. People have different feelings about the ergonomics; personally I find even the large grip a bit small and prefer the feel of the K-3. Pixel shift is a great feature for landscape/still life. Three control wheels are good. Tilting screen is an advantage over the K-3 when shooting in LiveView, whether low to the ground or high up. Built in wifi. Lots of other features too, like advanced bracketing. If your budget will run to it, I think this is the model to get for your intended uses. It's been heavily discounted lately, making it a very attractive option.
K-S2: Nice little camera. Compact and light weight. Relatively simple layout makes it easy for someone new to DSLRs. Fully articulating screen is great for macro and selfies! (More versatile than the tilt screen of the KP, although possibly not as robust.) Built in wifi. The 20mp sensor is very good - not far behind the K-3's, but the exposure metering is well behind the K-3 and KP. There have been reports of aperture block failure with this model, and it doesn't have pixel shift, but it still quite well featured compared to other entry-level cameras. Don't expect the same robustness or durability as on the K-3 or KP.

K-70: Has all the good points of the K-S2, with the addition of 24mp sensor, pixel shift and better high-ISO performance (amongst other things). Still lacks the exposure metering and AF system of the KP and K-3, and their robust construction, but a feature packed camera for a modest price.

If you get the KP, K-70 or K-S2, be sure to get one or two spare batteries.

As for the lenses, I think the DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM combination is a great kit. The DA 16-85 might be even better (the extra 2mm on the wide end are very useful if you are not also getting an ultrawide lens, the HD coatings are a big plus and it has better corner/edge sharpness), but it's significantly more expensive than the 18-135. Similar weight but bulkier. Plenty of samples with these lenses here:
DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com
DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com

With a versatile two-zoom kit like this you can add specialty lenses later (e.g. a wide-angle lens, macro or low light/portrait lens).

Leave some money in the budget for a flash too.
02-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,205
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal Quote
This was the ultimate help.... What to say.... Nothing more than a big THANKS.
I really appreciate your great mood for advisory help. I tend desiding for k3 if i finaly find it new or in a mint case. And that's because of the build in flash, which k3ii lacks. I think it is too practical to have it, than astrotracker capability given by the newer model. Thanks a lot.
good luck

most likely you will find an " experienced " one

if you could find one of these you will get the GPS/astrotracker ability but while you are using it, you lose the ability to use the built in flash of the K 3

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function. The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date. It was announced in June, 2011 and made available shortly thereafter
.
On the K-5 & K-r, the unit also provides an Astrotracer function that allows the camera sensor to act as a simple equatorial mount for astrophotography. This allows for exposures of up to five minutes without incurring star trails on the photo.


Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-05-2019 at 03:15 AM.
02-05-2019, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,653
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal Quote
This was the ultimate help.... What to say.... Nothing more than a big THANKS.I really appreciate your great mood for advisory help. I tend desiding for k3 if i finaly find it new or in a mint case. And that's because of the build in flash, which k3ii lacks. I think it is too practical to have it, than astrotracker capability given by the newer model. Thanks a lot.
Happy to help John. The K-3 is so solid, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one even if the cosmetic condition isn't perfect.

The on-board flash is handy for fill, or as an optical trigger for an off-camera flash, but you will get a lot better results with an external flash, especially if you can use it off-camera. An external flash setup need not be expensive either, especially if you can live with a manual one and cheap manual radio triggers. Even PTTL flashes can be found for reasonable prices. Perhaps that's a discussion for another thread, but my point is that you shouldn't pass up a good buy in a K-3ii if you find one, just for the lack of a popup flash, because there are ways to work around that. The K-3ii has pixel shift, which the K-3 lacks, and that's a great feature.

02-05-2019, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #24
New Member
JohnKal's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Original Poster
Ok Des.. i have found one (K-3ll) brand new, with 18-135 lens for 999. I am looking forward to this one. Thanks again...
John
02-05-2019, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,205
congratulations

you might consider buying the Ebook for the K 3 and K 3 II

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/380326-sa...ml#post4532639

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.
02-05-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,653
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal Quote
Ok Des.. i have found one (K-3ll) brand new, with 18-135 lens for 999€. I am looking forward to this one. Thanks again...John
Congratulations John. Be sure to share your images in the 18-135 thread (linked above).

Allen's suggestion of getting the ebook is a good one too. It has a lot of helpful information that you won't find in the manual. I'd also suggest reading carefully the PF review of the camera: Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews That will give you a good introduction to its features.

When you are setting up the camera, have a look at the recommended settings in the PF review of the K-3: Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews (There isn't a separate one for the K-3ii because the settings are almost identical.)

Finally, install the latest firmware if it isn't already installed: Latest PENTAX K-3? Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING (You will need the update installed to use a KAF4 lens such as the DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM.)

As for the lens, do a quick check to see that it is not unacceptably decentered: How to Check Your Lens for Decentering - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Then calibrate the autofocus: Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles

And if I haven't overloaded you too much already, read this brilliant article about shooting technique: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles I keep coming back to this article; it has made a huge difference to my photography.
02-05-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,205
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Congratulations John. Be sure to share your images in the 18-135 thread (linked above).

Allen's suggestion of getting the ebook is a good one too. It has a lot of helpful information that you won't find in the manual. I'd also suggest reading carefully the PF review of the camera: Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews That will give you a good introduction to its features.

When you are setting up the camera, have a look at the recommended settings in the PF review of the K-3: Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews (There isn't a separate one for the K-3ii because the settings are almost identical.)

Finally, install the latest firmware if it isn't already installed: Latest PENTAX K-3? Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING (You will need the update installed to use a KAF4 lens such as the DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM.)

As for the lens, do a quick check to see that it is not unacceptably decentered: How to Check Your Lens for Decentering - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Then calibrate the autofocus: Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles

And if I haven't overloaded you too much already, read this brilliant article about shooting technique: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles I keep coming back to this article; it has made a huge difference to my photography.
I like the forum since it has lots of friendly members more than willing to give advice

especially on how to spend your money

and lots of helpful articles and reviews

hopefully the OP will decide to post photos in various threads or even start one or two

good luck
02-06-2019, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tartu
Posts: 68
I bought my K3 for 350€ used. 500€ seems to be overpriced.
But why Pentax? Wouldn't Nikon D7200 or Canon 70D be a better option? Even Sony?

I Iove my Pentax too. Everything except the focusing. And as time has gone by I'm more and more beginning to realize that AF performance is the most important thing about a camera unless you are into MF or don't care about pinpoint accuracy. Don't expect wonders from your K3 in AF.C. Even AF.S has it's fair share of problems that somehow Canikon don't have. (Case in point, I used a 70D with Tamron 17-50 and my K3 with Tamron 17-50 at a photoshoot. It was quite dim in the room (2 modelling lights at lowest settings), but hey, -3EV sensitivity, right? The K3 kept being very indecisive at acquiring focus. At the same time the 70D was snappier than any of my Pentax cameras I've used, 0 issues. Sometimes it really takes a hands-on comparison to realize somethings fishy about PentaxAF.)

I'm not trying to bash Pentax, I'm just encouraging you to look at other options too. Things aren't all perfect in Pentaxland (or in any "brandland").
02-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #29
New Member
JohnKal's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Original Poster
Thanks for your opinion. The k3 ii is the model found brand new (not used) for 600. I have already looked at Nikon, and Canon cameras, and in that price point, only Canon 80d is realy comperable with K3ii capabilities. Most comparison apps in internet giving Pentax advantage over qualitily, durability and IQ.
That's why i intend on Pentax. Any way there has been no order yet, so i am looking forward to get my final decision.
John
02-06-2019, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,653
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal Quote
Thanks for your opinion. The k3 ii is the model found brand new (not used) for 600€. I have already looked at Nikon, and Canon cameras, and in that price point, only Canon 80d is realy comperable with K3ii capabilities. Most comparison apps in internet giving Pentax advantage over qualitily, durability and IQ.
That's why i intend on Pentax. Any way there has been no order yet, so i am looking forward to get my final decision.
John
How does the price of the KP compare in your market John? If it's around the same or less, it's an attractive option too. The IQ may be a little better than the K-3ii, especially at high ISO. Other features like wi-fi, tilt screen, better SR, motion correction pixel shift and a third control wheel are a plus. The K-3ii has some pluses too (including top LCD screen, bigger battery, better ergonomics, bigger buffer, GPS) but you need to weigh them up.

If the package was 999 Euro, that puts the 18-135 at nearly 400 Euro. That's seems a fairly high price for that lens, especially for a bundle with a camera. They go for around $US200/euro second hand in the PF marketplace. Or maybe that's not an option because of import taxes?

Last edited by Des; 02-06-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brand, camera, dslr, k-3, k-70, lens, love, pentax, photographer, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which one would you buy & why Gold Coast Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 04-17-2018 12:22 PM
Advice needed: Expandable AF zoom around 300 mm which one should I buy? Jome Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 07-19-2017 11:29 AM
Last question before I buy... Kx or K7, which would you buy? DavoMrMac Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 02-01-2010 02:42 AM
Color K-x - Which color you like the most? Which one you'd like to buy? frank Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 11-18-2009 09:41 AM
Which one should I buy? Stevopedia Pentax Film SLR Discussion 21 08-13-2008 06:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top