Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal Quote
Thanks for your opinion. The k3 ii is the model found brand new (not used) for 600€. I have already looked at Nikon, and Canon cameras, and in that price point, only Canon 80d is realy comperable with K3ii capabilities. Most comparison apps in internet giving Pentax advantage over qualitily, durability and IQ.
That's why i intend on Pentax. Any way there has been no order yet, so i am looking forward to get my final decision.
John
Well, the end-of-model run has long been the best time to find a great deal on a new camera. New is always better than used, especially when you find a good deal. I have done likewise quite often. I passed on the Pentax K-7 when it arrived and got a new left-over K20D instead at half price, with a free 5 year Pentax extended warranty included. Tests revealed no imaging advantage over the K20D for the new K-7. After some years, I advanced to the K-5 and K-5 IIs, being definitely superior to the K20D in low noise performance at higher ISO, and both for the price of one after the K-3 arrived, as I did not find enough advancement for my needs in the K-3 over the K-5 IIs.

But this time around, things have been different. As usual, the drop in price for a new K-3 II has been due to its being discontinued for new model arrivals, but if it were me I would hesitate on taking the deal offered, because in this case the models superseding it present some substantial advancements. So as I say, I had passed on the K-3 series but finally bit on the KP when a price reduction for it came along. There is also an actual replacement model for the K-3 II in the works, which will incorporate all advancements of the KP in the larger K-3 II size body style. I believe this will not be long in coming. It will probably come in price-wise here in the US at around $1,300 if past practice is any indication.

As to other brands- Nikon, Canon, etc. with Pentax you have the advantage of having SR built into the body instead of separately in each lens. With APS-C DSLR cameras, a fast 50mm f/1.8, f1.7, or f/1.4 for example, can provide a very good focal length for portrait use, and with the ability to achieve a more blurred background to make your subject stand out more because of their wider aperture capability. Such a lens also has many other uses, such as in low light scenes. With Pentax, you will also have SR available through the camera body regardless, while such a lens of this type with other brands is unlikely to feature any shake reduction system built into it. Same is true of the fine-performing DA 35mm f/2.4 or FA 35mm f/2, as well as a host of legacy glass, some of which can be had for very reasonable cost. You will also have WR construction with your DA 18-135mm and your DA 55-300mm lenses. With Nikon or Canon, getting WR construction in a lens starts around the $1,000 USD range.

Then there is the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, which allows instantaneous on-the-fly user over-ride of aperture or shutter speeds set by the camera during Program automatic exposure operation, without even having to take the eye away from the VF. You just select your own choice of either, and the camera will obey while instantly switching to Av or Tv without your having to first set the mode dial from P to Av or Tv and then make your selection. Full P mode is restored with a touch of a button. That same button can be used in (Hyper) Manual mode to instantly set both aperture and shutter speed for a meter-centered exposure without having to twirl the thumb and finger dials in the usual manner. Very fast and efficient operational systems.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-06-2019 at 11:10 PM.
02-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #32

Original Poster
Well..KP here costs more than 1300€ and around 900€ in ebay or worst in amazon. The prices are for new ones. Used is a little risky cituation at my opinion, cause you can not find easily used in Athens, and as you understand if you have no way to keep in hands the item, you take a lot of risk buying a used item. That's why i am looking for brand new or at least new(other) which means exibition or demonstration items. About import taxes, yes, i am looking only buying from EC because customs working in an non logic cituation. Some time it is possible to buy a high value item wich can be pass customs without any charge, and some other time an invoice value of 150€ costs an additional tax of 100% which means you may be charged with another 150€. Crazy system. I have found some good deals in ebay, and i am skeptical about to conclude in the best choice to cover my needs and gain a fair value for money deal. I am sitting between k3ii and Canon eos 80d. Both have their pros and there is a big battle in specs and in my personal think, because i like both of them. But Pentax is something in my mind like a julery. Instead Canon is like a great tool in my tech store. You want to wear the julery but also you love to work with your new shine tool. I will find my way...all this is a fine game i like to keep playing for a while. Lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
How does the price of the KP compare in your market John? If it's around the same or less, it's an attractive option too. The IQ may be a little better than the K-3ii, especially at high ISO. Other features like wi-fi, tilt screen, better SR, motion correction pixel shift and a third control wheel are a plus. The K-3ii has some pluses too (including top LCD screen, bigger battery, better ergonomics, bigger buffer, GPS) but you need to weigh them up.

If the package was 999 Euro, that puts the 18-135 at nearly 400 Euro. That's seems a fairly high price for that lens, especially for a bundle with a camera. They go for around $US200/euro second hand in the PF marketplace. Or maybe that's not an option because of import taxes?
02-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #33

Original Poster
That's why i love Pentax. It is an advanced camera creator over the brand names in market, and you have to have a chance to get a camera of your choice without the need to sale off your house for money. Any way, there is no perfect camera around, so compromises are everywhere in choosing procedure. The big matter is that anything you get been mostly liked and fulfilling your basic needs. And Pentax usually does it. Thanks friend.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, the end-of-model run has long been the best time to find a great deal on a new camera. New is always better than used, especially when you find a good deal. I have done likewise quite often. I passed on the Pentax K-7 when it arrived and got a new left-over K20D instead at half price, with a free 5 year Pentax extended warranty included. Tests revealed no imaging advantage over the K20D for the new K-7. After some years, I advanced to the K-5 and K-5 IIs, being definitely superior to the K20D in low noise performance at higher ISO, and both for the price of one after the K-3 arrived, as I did not find enough advancement for my needs in the K-3 over the K-5 IIs.

But this time around, things have been different. As usual, the drop in price for a new K-3 II has been due to its being discontinued for new model arrivals, but if it were me I would hesitate on taking the deal offered, because in this case the models superseding it present some substantial advancements. So as I say, I had passed on the K-3 series but finally bit on the KP when a price reduction for it came along. There is also an actual replacement model for the K-3 II in the works, which will incorporate all advancements of the KP in the larger K-3 II size body style. I believe this will not be long in coming. It will probably come in price-wise here in the US at around $1,300 if past practice is any indication.

As to other brands- Nikon, Canon, etc. with Pentax you have the advantage of having SR built into the body instead of separately in each lens. With APS-C DSLR cameras, a fast 50mm f/1.8, f1.7, or f/1.4 for example, can provide a very good focal length for portrait use, and with the ability to achieve a more blurred background to make your subject stand out more because of their wider aperture capability. Such a lens also has many other uses, such as in low light scenes. With Pentax, you will also have SR available through the camera body regardless, while such a lens of this type with other brands is unlikely to feature any shake reduction system built into it. Same is true of the fine-performing DA 35mm f/2.4 or FA 35mm f/2, as well as a host of legacy glass, some of which can be had for very reasonable cost. You will also have WR construction with your DA 18-135mm and your DA 55-300mm lenses. With Nikon or Canon, getting WR construction in a lens starts around the $1,000 USD range.

Then there is the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, which allows instantaneous on-the-fly user over-ride of aperture or shutter speeds set by the camera during Program automatic exposure operation, without even having to take the eye away from the VF. You just select your own choice of either, and the camera will obey while instantly switching to Av or Tv without your having to first set the mode dial from P to Av or Tv and then make your selection. Full P mode is restored with a touch of a button. That same button can be used in (Hyper) Manual mode to instantly set both aperture and shutter speed for a meter-centered exposure without having to twirl the thumb and finger dials in the usual manner. Very fast and efficient operational systems.
02-07-2019, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #34
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKal Quote
I am sitting between k3ii and Canon eos 80d. Both have their pros and there is a big battle in specs and in my personal think, because i like both of them. But Pentax is something in my mind like a julery. Instead Canon is like a great tool in my tech store. You want to wear the julery but also you love to work with your new shine tool. I will find my way...all this is a fine game i like to keep playing for a while. Lol.
The K-3ii has pixel shift and in-body image stabilization - both great features. The Canon has probably better AF. But the choice is not really just between bodies but between systems. You need to weigh it up as a whole. There's a wider range of lenses, accessories and support for Canon. But there are plenty of strong points in Pentax too. Sounds to me that you feel comfortable with Pentax; that's a big factor. So is this forum :-)