Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2019, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What type of K-x is this?

So while visiting Japan, my wife bought her first DSLR, and insisted on this lightly used blue and red grip K-x. The blue color is actually quite interesting; I have posted a photo to help show it. I've found a few online that have a black grip with the blue colored body, but none with a red grip. Does anyone know if this is a special kind of edition, possibly only found in Japan? Or have any other info about this color combo? Just curious. Thanks!

02-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x was available in 100 different color combinations, with different grips and bodies. This must be one of them

I believe that this was mostly offered within the Japanese market, then it went international with the Q10 and K-r.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Back in the K-x days in Japan, you can specially request Pentax to slap the color of your fancy.

Travelholic: My dream k-x or k-r
PENTAX K-r: Limited editions Pentax K-r

In today's terms, yes they are quite rare as it has been almost 10 years.
02-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cool thanks! Yeah I knew the K50 was available in many combinations but did not realize the k-x was too. Guess that was way before my Pentax days

02-04-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the glossy metallic finish of that version. Like a novelty car paint job.
02-04-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The K-x '100 colours, 100 styles' concept was great fun and good marketing.

I believe your K-x was option number 094 in the colour series available from Pentax Japan:

02-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They were a big deal in Japan at the time. Continued with other models in the Pentax line later. Lovely little camera the K-x.

02-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a blue Kx (standard black grip) and really like the color. It has a sporty elegance that avoids ostentation.
02-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah her k-x takes surprisingly nice photos, especially for how little it cost. I like the blue color too, but think it would look a little better with the black grip like yours. I think the red grip would look cool on my K-3 though. Too bad I can't swap grips with her!
02-28-2019, 12:05 AM   #10

Actually, there was also a K-X (again Japan) that every single individual piece was a different color. Like 20 colors on one camera if I remember correctly. The colored pieces were quite tastefully placed so the pieces didn't clash. It was a beautiful camera. I drooled excessively over it back in the day. I still had it saved in my ebay watch page for over a year after I bought my red K-X.
I just bought a used black K-30. (Also have a red K-50) The price was right, and I got a good vibe about it. I fully intend to sticker-bomb it in scraps of reflective vinyl. Black cameras are boring. I'll take mine with some color. Actually that's one of the main things that drew me to Pentax. I was comparing all these different cameras, as a DSLR noob, and when I saw that Red KX... I froze. THAT was the one! The amazing price and specs were icing on the colorful cake.

There's actually a little more to it than that. Back in those days, we were taking 3-4 trips to Disney World every year. I'm paranoid. I knew if I got that red Pentax that every time I saw a guy with a DSLR I wouldn't subconsciously "check to see if mine is still there". Also if there WAS a camera thief... he's probably going to steal the black Canon instead.