Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought my K10D in 2007 after I inherited a Pentax SF1 with an F50mm f1.7 and a couple of Sigma zooms. It was fantastic for my simple needs at the time. Around 2016 I was drawn into more serious photography opportunities (shooting pictures for someone other than just myself) and experimented with Sony Mirrorless cameras along side the K10D. In 2017 I committed to Pentax, sold the Sony gear and bought a K70 using the K10D as the backup. I finally sold it and the old Sigma zooms as bundle deal to newbie and got rid of some of the tools of a previous hobby and bought a K-3ii as well.

I like the flip out screen on the K70 for low angle shooting, holding over my head for high angle wide angle shots and shooting from the waist for discrete shooting. The K70 and K3 are both great upgrade choices.

PS: Occasionally I’ll find myself shooting an action event like dog agility or lure coursing and that’s when the AF let’s me down. That’s when I revert to the old pre AF days practice of trying to pre-focus on a spot where the subject will be. But trying to catch action like Ultimate Frisbee or dogs running amok is hit or miss.

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 02-11-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: I hadn’t typed enough the first time.
02-11-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I bought my K10D in 2007 after I inherited a Pentax SF1 with an F50mm f1.7 and a couple of Sigma zooms. It was fantastic for my simple needs at the time. Around 2016 I was drawn into more serious photography opportunities (shooting pictures for someone other than just myself) and experimented with Sony Mirrorless cameras along side the K10D. In 2017 I committed to Pentax, sold the Sony gear and bought a K70 using the K10D as the backup. I finally sold it and the old Sigma zooms as bundle deal to newbie and got a K-3ii.

I like the flip out screen on the K70 for low angle shooting, holding over my head for high angle wide angle shots and shooting from the waist for discrete shooting. The K70 and K3 are both great upgrade choices.
This is another thing I was surprised by with the K-3, using the live preview for low/high angle shooting. I'm sure the flip out screen is much better, but I was surprised how easy it is to take low angle or elevated shots using the lcd screen, because the screen stays visible from wide viewing angles. I remember deliberating for a while about saving up for a KP because of the articulating screen (and better high ISO performance), but I would not have deliberated so long had I realized how useful just having a screen preview is, even on a fixed screen. It's quite a nice surprise!
02-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The KP is simply amazing. The AF is on another level compared to other Pentax bodies I've used.
02-21-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's not quite the KP, but I bought the K-70 and from my perspective, coming from the K10D, it amazes me. I'm particularly amazed at how well it handles low-light. I was getting used to it last night in my not very brightly-lit kitchen and living room and it did incredibly well. A few shots could be described as taken "in the dark" and even they turned out nicely.

The K-70 is so much smaller than the K10D. I like that. It will help with travelling. I can feel a slight drop in build quality- the K10D is a tank - but the K-70 still feels well-made.

I found out that the current PEF is not supported by Windows 10 or LightRoom (at least the copy I have), so I haven't had a good look at the images yet. I'll need to convert them, or perhaps try IrfanView. Moving forward, I've switched the RAW format to DNG.

02-22-2019, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Lambic Quote
It's not quite the KP, but I bought the K-70 and from my perspective, coming from the K10D, it amazes me. I'm particularly amazed at how well it handles low-light. I was getting used to it last night in my not very brightly-lit kitchen and living room and it did incredibly well. A few shots could be described as taken "in the dark" and even they turned out nicely.

The K-70 is so much smaller than the K10D. I like that. It will help with travelling. I can feel a slight drop in build quality- the K10D is a tank - but the K-70 still feels well-made.

I found out that the current PEF is not supported by Windows 10 or LightRoom (at least the copy I have), so I haven't had a good look at the images yet. I'll need to convert them, or perhaps try IrfanView. Moving forward, I've switched the RAW format to DNG.
I feel the opposite about the size of my K-3. It is smaller than the K10D and not as comfortable in the hand. The hand grip on the right is very ergonomic but the left side of the camera just doesn't have much to hold onto compared to the K10. And I have very small hands. But that's all subjective. It's still a joy to hold and shoot with.

I get absolutely blown away by the modern Pentax bodies' low-light performance as well. That and AF are the two reasons I upgraded, and the new bodies don't disappoint.
02-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear you are enjoying the K-70. Wait til you try pixel shift!

There are workarounds to add codecs in Windows 10: How to View RAW Images and Thumbnails on Windows 10 But it's simpler just to install a third-party viewer and make it the default program for viewing image files. I like IrfanView too (be sure to install the plugins pack as well). Another popular one is FastStone.
02-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's easy to download and run the codec PENTAX RAW codec software for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

The added benefit is that you'll be able to view thumbnails in the windows folders