Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Have you owned and used any medium format film cameras?
Yes, I have. Are you hoping to discount my opinions based on previous experience with large format film? That's not how this works if so.
The points I've made are just as relevant either way. Please stay on topic.

02-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Yes, I have. Are you hoping to discount my opinions based on previous experience with large format film? That's not how this works if so.
Nope not at all.
02-11-2019, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm personally of the opinion that nearly everyone will have a bias on sensor ratio. I've used m43, 120, 35mm, APSC, and multi-aspect sensors like the one in the Panasonic LX-7. I don't find anything you have said here compelling with respect to composing and using a sensor/viewfinder that isn't the ideal size. I have found m43 too tall and not wide enough natively for some shots, and I've found apsc too wide for others. I compose according to what my vision is and I don't worry about losing pixels in post. I haven't found it difficult to impose mental boundaries in the viewfinder. However I shoot for myself. My degree of precision required and the criticality of each shot is low compared to some people.

I did find the multiaspect sensor lx7 with an evf to be easier to visualize the final output but either way it wasn't a struggle.
02-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The first TV screens were round too, but they decided ultimately on a rectangular format, historically film, as a useable medium in strip format had to force a rectangular format for the frame
Welll the Kodak No 1 managed it

02-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm personally of the opinion that nearly everyone will have a bias on sensor ratio. I've used m43, 120, 35mm, APSC, and multi-aspect sensors like the one in the Panasonic LX-7. I don't find anything you have said here compelling with respect to composing and using a sensor/viewfinder that isn't the ideal size. I have found m43 too tall and not wide enough natively for some shots, and I've found apsc too wide for others. I compose according to what my vision is and I don't worry about losing pixels in post. I haven't found it difficult to impose mental boundaries in the viewfinder. However I shoot for myself. My degree of precision required and the criticality of each shot is low compared to some people.

I did find the multiaspect sensor lx7 with an evf to be easier to visualize the final output but either way it wasn't a struggle.
Interesting. The GH5s also has an oversized sensor to accommodate different ratios. Something like that would be cool on a FF as well.
02-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. The GH5s also has an oversized sensor to accommodate different ratios. Something like that would be cool on a FF as well.
The lx7 uses a 12.7 or 12.8mp sensor block that they map various aspect ratios onto with the intention of keeping the diagonal angle of view consistent. It maps pretty well but pixel numbers vary by actual aspect. 10mp at 4:3 drops to 9.5mp on 3:2 etc.
02-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lx7 uses a 12.7 or 12.8mp sensor block that they map various aspect ratios onto with the intention of keeping the diagonal angle of view consistent. It maps pretty well but pixel numbers vary by actual aspect. 10mp at 4:3 drops to 9.5mp on 3:2 etc.
Yeah, but a 5:4 crop on a 24mp image drops it down to 20mp. So the oversized sensor is still a significant resolution advantage.
02-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

It's funny because there probably isn't a ratio that would make everyone happy. I shoot a fair amount of landscape and personally, I would rather have something that was wider and not as tall for landscape. Most monitors these days have a 16:9 ratio which is quite a bit wider than it is tall. On the other hand, a lot of traditional print sizes are things like 5 by 7 and 8 by 10 where the OP's aspect ratio request would probably work better.

02-12-2019, 06:41 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's funny because there probably isn't a ratio that would make everyone happy. I shoot a fair amount of landscape and personally, I would rather have something that was wider and not as tall for landscape. Most monitors these days have a 16:9 ratio which is quite a bit wider than it is tall. On the other hand, a lot of traditional print sizes are things like 5 by 7 and 8 by 10 where the OP's aspect ratio request would probably work better.
Phones have moved to 18:9 in the most recent designs. Perspectives are being changed.
02-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have two eyes slightly separated on a horizontal plane. So the center of our field of view is roughly a 1.8:1 rectangle. So a 16:9 ratio probably more closely replicates the central part of what we see.

Ultimately though, as others have said above, there's no single correct ratio for all situations. As someone who photographs landscape more than anything else, I'd be less happy with a square ratio.
02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #71
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

My Q-7, provides 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, and 1:1 ratios. In any case, the larger the sensor, the larger the image.
02-17-2019, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

Cropping is easier than ever. In the good old days 1:1 allowed to take image without worrying about camera orientation. So, crop masks are fine, but sensor size should be 1:1 if you really want something useful.
6x6 was not invented to make square size prints...